Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Seatpost question? A quickie
  • MussEd
    Free Member

If my bike needs a 31.6mm seatpost, can I use a 30.8mm with som sort of shim? I think not but maybe I’m wrong?

Junkyard
    Free Member

old inner tube as shim? as less than 1 mm diameter difference suspect it would clamp up anyway but never tried.

brant
    Free Member

A rubber shim? On a seatpost? Are you mad?

sofatester
    Free Member

Some people hey Brant.

#tuts and shakes head#

MussEd
    Free Member

I’m glad someone said that before I did. So Brant is there a shim I could use? Sofatester?

wwaswas

well use do seat post shims down to a .4mm difference but not in the sizes you want so the answer is, it’s possible.

Junkyard
    Free Member

apparently but not sure why so elaborate please

coffeeking
    Free Member

Get yer tinfoil out…. 🙂 Or buy the right size post, I hate shims, noisy and a pain even when treated nicely.

MussEd
    Free Member

Someone’s selling a 30.8mm Joplin, My frame takes 31.6mm. Will it not rattle about and slip? {I know thesethings have isssues of reliability but keen to try one…}

Junkyard
    Free Member

you can get the replacement from 2Pure for the joplin as the internals are the same just the outer that is different .. I have both the 30.8 and the 31.6 posts but only one joplin … sadly I need the same size as you but £28 I think for other size.
    Honestly I would try tape , rubber shim whatever to clamp up and think it will be ok but am clearly in a minority here.
    Again why not use a rubber shim what is the problem here?
    Used for seatpost mounted racks, baby cycle carriers (and at the mounting point), shims for lights etc
    Could even try a coke can shim (Zen and the art of Motorcycle maintenance moment)

GW
    Free Member

junkyard you’re not in the minority, there are loads of other idiots on here too. 😛

Junkyard
    Free Member

amusing but not helped to lift my ignorance!!!!

thomthumb
    Free Member

don’t use tape or inner tube if your gonna ‘bodge it’ try a drinks can or ask an engineer for some shim stock. It’s just thin rolled brass. for making shims from!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Seatpost question? A quickie’ is closed to new replies.