Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Sealing a deep cut in my lip- any ideas?
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

I used my face to slow myself down on a ride last night. Been checked out by the doctors and don’t have concussion but I do have a big, deep hole in my top lip. It’s almost, but not quite, all the way through.

The doctors said that since it hadn’t crossed into the skin above my lip then I should just let it heal. Over 12 hours of bleeding later and it hasnt – every time I move my face or swallow blood pumps in and out of the hole.

Is there any way of getting it to heal? It’s not in a place I can put a plaster on it to stop my pillows bloody and it’s making a real mess of my face.

qwerty
    Free Member

Steri strips?

mickmcd
    Free Member

10 inch knife

Heat it up

Press on affected area

Do not lick knife

mickmcd
    Free Member

Tampon ?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

superglue, but don’t let your other lip touch it until it has dried !

it’s what superglue is for…

A styptic pencil might stop the bleeding if it is not too profuse, although it will sting when you apply it !

torsoinalake
    Free Member

How about going back to the doctors and asking them to reconsider?

munrobiker
    Free Member

We almost had to protect my shirt from a wound on my shoulder with a sanitary towel until I found the very last Mepore pad. A tampon would complete the look.

Qwerty – they seemed to think it wasn’t in a place for steristrips or stitches.

Phil_H

Skin glue? although it might not work if it’s a crater rather than a cut.

I had my top lip glued when I put a canine tooth through it. Still got the scar 🙂

Drac

Go to a minor injuries unit.

nedrapier

Compeed do little sticky thingsfor cold sores.  Think they’re the same hydrocolloid patches as the bigger ones for lost skin.  Might not be big or burly enough, but might be worth a look.

Good luck!

PJay
    Free Member

Go to a minor injuries unit.

^^^^ This! It sounds as if the GP has got it slightly wrong and personally I’d be a tad nervous of the DIY approach.

dmorts

Sounds like you need a couple of dissolvable stitches putting in

munrobiker
    Free Member

^^^^ This! It sounds as if the GP has got it slightly wrong and personally I’d be a tad nervous of the DIY approach.

Turns out this was the correct answer. Saw Drac’s post, assumed he knew what he was talking about and went to the MIU. They were excellent, now steri-stripped with a stash for my holiday next week and they gave me a wrist splint. They said steri-strips were fine for this job.

Thanks everyone.

Drac

Glad you’re sorted.

Steri-strips will do the job, facial injuries tend not to get wound closure glue for obvious reasons. Superglue is not the same stuff so pretty daft to use it especially on areas on the face,

benp1

Isn’t this the perfect use for one of those snooker balls attached to a leather strap that people seem to wear for fun?

fasthaggis

While healing,just style it out.

stylish

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Sealing a deep cut in my lip- any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.