Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Scout/youth leaders – help me out, low-prep activity ideas needed
  • IHN

It’s Scouts tonight, and the activity we had planned looks like it’s not going to happen. So, any ideas for stuff we can do with 15ish 10-14 year olds, for about an hour, with little prep and minimal equipment?

colonelwax
    Free Member

Our Cubs had to invent games, make up the rules and then lead the others in playing them. Give them some paper and pens and half an hour to plan it, took about three weeks to play each game. Would the 14 year olds be interested in that though?

rubymurry
    Free Member

Games night, ask them to bring a board game or marshmallow tower use cocktail sticks and marshmallows and see who can build the highest tower then eat them

Yak

Dry(ish)? Get out and play some night time wide games. Capture the flag, jailbreak etc. Got some woods? Play spotlight.

easily
    Free Member

Imagine a sudden heavy snowfall – you’re all trapped in your Scout Hall (or wherever you meet). You’re going to be here all night at least.
    To keep spirits up every small group (sixes? that’s what they were called when I was a cub) has to devise an entertainment for the whole group. This could be a play, a dance, a game, a song, whatever.
    The good thing about this is it can be extended. If you still have nothing next time they can imagine that a single person is getting out somehow, and they have to write letters home, or they can devise teams for different jobs: cleaning, cooking, etc. It’s pretty open ended, and can be returned to if needed.

I prefer to say there’s a zombie apocalypse going on outside, rather than a heavy snowfall, but it depends on the group.

winston
    Free Member

Indoor pioneering obstacle course if you have poles. Then relay race in patrols

dogbone

‘Which is the best local chip shop?’ was always very popular with my son.

IHN

Cheers all. I’ve found a quiz online so I think we’ll do a quiz night. I’m liking these ideas though, they’ll be banked for next time 🙂

IHN

‘Which is the best local chip shop?’ was always very popular with my son.

That was last week 🙂

Yak

I quite like the £5 food challenge. Each patrol gets 15mins to plan 2 courses and then the PLs go to the local shop with a fiver, and then the patrol has to cook it on camp stoves and produce 2 plates for judging.

MoreCashThanDash

Got any inner tubes you need fixing? Counts towards their cycling badge iirc…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Scout/youth leaders – help me out, low-prep activity ideas needed’ is closed to new replies.