Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Scout or Aeris 120 frame only…..?
  • chrissyharding
    Free Member

Never happened last year. Lookin like late summer for me, new frame and subsequent build.
    Scout is still 142mm rear Aeris boost. All other numbers, except price similar.
    Some input would be appreciated.
    Can test Scout locally, distance for Bird too much.

jamj1974

All I can say is that I love my Patrol and budget permitting, it would be a Scout if I bought a shorter-travel bike.

mark90
    Free Member

All I can say is that I love my Aeris and budget permitting, it would be a 120 if I bought a shorter-travel bike 😉

I’m own the old Aeris and like the bikes. Recently demo’d the new 145 and 120 bikes. The the 120 is a quick bike. Pedals very well and descends better than it’s travel would suggest.

There is about 20mm difference in length (reach/ETT/wheelbase) between the Bird and the Scout in the same size. The Bird being longer. While the rear travel is almost the same the scout is designed to take a bigger fork. Also consider the different suspension designs give quite a different ride/feel. Try to demo both and see which you prefer the ride of.

benpinnick

Wher are you Chris?

chrissyharding
    Free Member

I live in Inverness.
    currently 6 nights per week. Saturday to Thursday.
    May get a weekend off in late June.

benpinnick

Yeah thats a long way north! Well probably be at Glentress again in June if you can wait/don’t mind what is probably still a 4 hr drive. Ben from Bird.

ehrob

Not ridden any of the Birds.

My Scout is my favourite ever bike. Good mix of playful and capable. Not massively stable at very high speed, but that’s part of the fun. Takes a beating as well as any longer travel bike I’ve had.

chrissyharding
    Free Member

Thanks for your input folks.
    Don’t get many demos up here. Laggan or a Golspie weekend would be fantastic.
    There was one at Banchory last year, left early AM. Got to Tomintoul,
    Direct route, (Spittal of Glenshee) closed snow. Other routes badly affected.
    After 3 hours driving. I gave up and went home.

chrisyork

I bought a Scout the other day and it’s my first full suspension bike. Absolutely love it, feels so good at speed, took it upto the Dales and put it through its paces. You can just point it at something and it will just lap it up!!! Only issue is I need a downtube protector!!!

benpinnick

@chrissyharding just sorting a new special little demo tour for late June. Already have Dalbeattie sorted. If you have a suggestion for a site in the far north (preferably Forestry Commission as I’ve done the paperwork now) please shout!

jamj1974

Hi Chrisyork. A Trek Remedy one fits the Patrol – might be worth a go?

After advice on here I bought this one Triton Cycles.

J

benpinnick

Sorry you’d said laggan already! Also what about glenlivit? I know the crown estate pretty well so that would be easy to sort I hope.

chrisyork

Nice thanks Jamj! That looks spot on! Surprised they don’t include one as standard.. not so bad on trails but I uprooted a cricket ball sized rock that pinged off my frame! Luckily no damage done but hit home I needed one!

chrissyharding
    Free Member

Glenlivet no problem. Could make that on a Saturday. Only been there once before. Decent climbs.
    which I do about 70% of my rides doing.
    Thanks benpinnick

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Scout or Aeris 120 frame only…..?’ is closed to new replies.