Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Scottish sparky q
  • twicewithchips
    Free Member

While I’m happy to do the work, I am out of date on the regs.

Is it permissible to extend a ring main and lighting circuit without further verification (i.e. an alteration to an existing certified installation).  The work will be conducted (ha!) in Scotland.

No concerns either way, just need to plan to accommodate further testing if required.

thanks

(edit – what happens to the ‘no forum’ posts?)

turin
    Free Member

If its in your own home and no building control warrant involved then you can do whatever you want without any of that Part P thang.

Naturally the installation still has to comply with the wiring regulations but no notifications are required.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Thanks – that’s rather what I’d hoped.  Presumably in the case of a building warrant it’d need testing before it all gets signed off.

turin
    Free Member

if your getting into building warrant territory it gets a bit more complicated. The work is supposed to be done by somebody on the Scottish building standards (I forget the correct full name) register who would self certify their work that it met the standards. This is separate to meeting the electrical standards which is also required.

There is a work around whereby a friendly electrician can issue an inspection certificate afterwards, they have to be a member of SELECT or NIC and then speak nicely to the Building control telling them that the original electrician told you he was registered and you paid him cash, he never came back so you got an inspection by an independent electrician.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Scottish sparky q’ is closed to new replies.