Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Scott Stego helmet, anyone got one?
  • davosaurusrex

Read a couple of reviews, mainly positive. Had a couple of crashes over the last couple of years where I’ve really bounced my brain off the inside of my skull and that hurts a fair bit, thinking a helmet with MIPS might be a wise investment. Any real world reviews?

cynic-al
    Free Member

But MIPS is about rotational/oblique impacts?

davosaurusrex

You don’t necessarily have to smack your head at 90 degrees to the ground to bounce your brain off your skull though do you? Or maybe you do, bit confused these days.

RobHilton
    Free Member

bounced my brain off the inside of my skull and that hurts a fair bit

No pain receptors in the brain

davosaurusrex

Thanks for that Rob, here’s a hastily Googled quote for you;

“You are correct in that the neurons themselves do not sense pain. However, the brain contains layers of coverings, blood vessels, the scalp and some muscles. All of these other structures have pain receptors. The coverings of the brain are called meninges and consist of the dura, arachnoid and pia. The dura in particular has a lot of pain receptors and may be responsible for many headaches. As a neurosurgeon I have seen this first hand during awake brain surgery when we open the dura. The patient usually doesn’t report any pain when you drill a hole in their skull. However, they start to report dull pain or headache when you stimulate or touch the dura.”

Anyway, hilarious STW one-upmanship fun aside, can we get back to my original question? Thanks awfully.

davosaurusrex

I’m going to bed now, my dura hurts.

RobHilton
    Free Member

my dura hurts

Use more lube?

While we’re being serious, are you going OTB?

BearBack
    Free Member

Just got a Lin with Mips.. fits nicely, much like my Giro Xar.

Haven’t hit my head in it to test it for you, but the MIPs syetem is unobtrusive.

davosaurusrex

Nope, don’t have many OTBs these days. One was going round a berm at a fair clip and lost the front (think it went over the top), when my head hit the floor I still had forward momentum so some rotational force (Giro Xen). The other was an ill advised manual attempt on tarmac whilst clipped in, straight loop out onto the back of my head. Instantly hurt so much that initially I thought my helmet (Giro Feature) must have shifted and it was a straight skull to road interface, when I finished rolling around in the road and weeping I thought I must have at least cracked the helmet but no, barely a mark on it. MIPS probably wouldn’t have done much on that one but I don’t have much faith in the force dispersion properties of Features anymore. I had a big backwards landing on an older Giro years back, much thicker at the back, and the helmet cracked back to front in two places which looks like it dissipated the energy around my skull rather than through it.

davosaurusrex

Cheers Bearback, I’ve got the non-MIPS Groove 2 (£27 off Start Cycles!), really like it, might see if there are any Lins still available. Where did you get yours?

BearBack
    Free Member

In a care pack from Scott 🙂

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at the Stego or Lin, how do they rate on ventilation? I get a hot sweaty head and so after protection, keeping cool is next on my priorities.

dlangers
    Free Member

i have just brought a stego very well made very comfy and ventilation seems quite good,won`t really be able to tell until the weather gets a bit hotter. I also fancied the idea of the extra protection MIPS gives.

davosaurusrex

db100 – the Groove 2/Lin are also very well ventilated, really light and comfortable too

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Scott Stego helmet, anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.