Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Scotland Road Trip, Hints & Tips
  • dmck16
    Free Member

Hi everyone! Our ‘holiday at home’ road trip is fast approaching and I thought here would be a good place to ask for any hints & tips regarding routes, activities, food & drink, etc that we have overlooked or may not know about.

Unfortunately no bikes this time, due to the wee 2 seater sports car we will be driving.

The bones of our route dictated to by our accommodation is as per the included photo, clockwise from Glasgow.

Leaving Glasgow – Oban (1 night) – Fort William (1 night) – Skye (2 nights) – Inverness (1 night) – Pitlochry (1 night) – back to Glasgow.

Any pointers to fill out our trip would be much appreciated 🙂

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

If you’re at Pitlochry, both Dunkeld and Aberfeldy (nearby towns) are worth a visit. Some outstandingly big trees at Dunkeld!

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Well with that schedule you’ll be mostly driving, but what sort of stuff do you like? If castles are your thing then there are plenty on the route – Eilean Donan Castle, Urquhart Castle, Blair Atholl etc. If you like walking then look at http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk and fill your boots. Otherwise There’s lots of little museums – just look out for the brown signs. You can also hire bikes at Nevis range if you need a bike fix.

Fat-boy-fat

Food … Coast or the Pierhouse in Oban. Brown’s in Fort William (or Inverlochy Castle if you’re feeling flush). Loch Bay in Skye (if you only go to one place on this list, make it here). Rocpool (the restaurant, not the hotel) in Inverschnecky. Sandeman’s restaurant at Fonab Castle in Pitlochry. Oooo. I’m hungry now!

tjagain

Lots of main roads there. One alternative is the wee road on the south side of loch ness. I remember it being fun on a motorbike so I guess the same in a wee car. In the area south of loch ness there are loads of hut circles and other neolithic stuff if that is of interest but you have to find it all from a map – its not signposted

scotroutes

We don’t talk about the area South of Loch Ness TJ…

mikeyp

Edradour distillery is great in Pitlochry. You can walk up to it from the town. When on Skye get the boat to Raasay go to the distillery for a tour and a cocktail and then eat at raasay house hotel. All 200m from the ferry.

tjagain

Lolz @ scotroutes!

richmtb

On the way to Skye from Fort Bill go via the ferry and Mallaig on the way out and Broadford / the Skye bridge on the way back. You get to pass Glenfinnan and the beaches between Arisaig and Mallaig

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Any pointers to fill out our trip would be much appreciated 🙂

Eh. Looks like you’ve already filled every day bar 1.

blokeuptheroad

Slight hijack soz, but sort of relevant! We are also headed north of the wall in 2 weeks. Two up motorcycle trip with Mrs Bloke on pillion. We are spending a night in the borders on the way up, 3 nights in Blair Atholl and a couple of nights in Teesdale on the way back down. Travelling to/from South Shropshire.

After ideas for day loops from Blair Atholl. Don’t want to do humongous mileages as Mrs Bloke has a finite tolerance for pillion time. So around 200 miles tops, with plenty of stops.

@dmck16
    hope you have a great trip.

scotroutes

From Blair Atholl you’ll definitely want to head out to Rannoch Station. Return via Trinafour and the unclassified road to the A9 at Dalnacardoch.

200 miles would also get you the Snow Roads loop – Pitlochry, Kirkmichael, Glenshee, Cockbridge, Tomintoul, Aviemore (Cairngorm) and back down the A9 (though Kingussie, Newtonmore and Dalwhinnie are all possible to avoid the drudgery).

blokeuptheroad

Thanks Scotroutes. Rannoch station was already on the itinerary, friend of a friend works in the cafe there and we’ve promised to look them up. Wasn’t sure what return route though, that looks good.

robbie
    Free Member

Try and avoid the A9 from Perth To Dunkeld as It’s been heaving lately and it’s down to a single lane. Go via Braco, Crieff, Gilmerton and Amulree, much nicer roads anyway.

tillydog
    Free Member

food & drink

Get your pubs/restaurants booked in plenty of time.

If our experience a few weeks ago is anything to go by, the decent places will be booked solid for days in advance.

irc

Dolphin watching? Been there twice, seen them twice. Very close to shore. Best on rising tide from an hour after low tide.

https://www.moraydolphins.co.uk/chanonry-point.html

matt_outandabout

Pitlochry has beautiful walks from town around the Loch, or five just a couple of miles to Garry Bridge and walk to soldiers leap at Killiecrankie. If you want real peace, head the opposite way from Gary Bridge to Coronation Bridgeon the Tummell and back.

I personally would then go to Glasgow via Glen Lyon (fresh scones at Bridge of Balgie post office), Killin and A84. More miles than A9, but beautiful small roads and lovely places to explore on foot.

joshvegas
    Free Member

fresh scones at Bridge of Balgie post office

Yes! Do you still get the finches on the side of your plate eating the crumbs?

matt_outandabout

Yes you do!

I’ve got a picture of a very sorry looking Robin perched on our table patiently waiting…

Edit:

Bridge of Balgie walk

Bridge of Balgie walk

ElShalimo

Oban to Fort William is a short day in the car (if you don’t go sightseeing).

If you’re a keen walker the Ballachulish horseshoe is a cracking day out. Or the Pap of Glencoe if you can’t spend all day walking. Both give you incredible views

The seafood restaurant on Loch Leven is fab:

http://www.lochlevenseafoodcafe.co.uk/

matt_outandabout

Oban – ft William day – there’s a couple of lovely walks / cycles if you take ferry to Lismore, plus Eriskay is last time I saw otters in the sea.

The new cycle route looks amazing.

alanl
    Free Member

Oban to Fort William is not much over an hour, I’d be tempted to stop for a cup of tea in Ft. Will, then go on to stay at Mallaig, for an earlier ferry to Skye.

Macaigs Tower in Oban is worth a visit, free, great views over to Mull, and down onto the town.
    The Hotel that looks over the bay in Kyle of Lochalsh is a great spot for a drink, we saw seals swimming from there, whales and dolphins have been spotted there before.

Dunkeld and Birnam, there is a lovely walk along the Tay, which takes in Birnam Wood, and the , supposedly, Oak from Shakespeares play. I dont think it is old enough, but it is a big tree. I generally walk trough Birnam town, stop off at the post office for a tea, then walk through the caravan site to the riverside path back to Dunkeld. Then cross the bridge to look around the cathedral grounds. Get back in the car for 5 minutes to go slightly north to the Hermitage, a short walk up to the waterfall, and past the largest tress in the UK.
    Pitlochry, as stated above, worth a visit, though its a bit tartan tourist town. There is a lovely walk over the dam, and round the river back to town across the wobbly bridge, but, the dam access, and salmon viewing point, were closed last August when we went.
    If you want a relatively easy mountain walk, then Ben Vrackie is one of the easiest Munros to get up/down, not much more than a hill climb. Great views.
    Also, Birnam Hill is a pretty easy 2 hour walk with fantastic views, start at Birnam Rail station, and do the clockwise route up, the anticlockwise is quite steep getting up.

I’ve always found Inverness to be a little over rated. I dont think I’d go there to visit again, there isnt a great deal to see. The same with Perth, they are both nice enough towns, but far nicer areas are only 10 miles away.

scotroutes

Ben Vrackie isn’t a Munro.

convert

I’ve always found Inverness to be a little over rated. I dont think I’d go there to visit again, there isnt a great deal to see. The same with Perth, they are both nice enough towns, but far nicer areas are only 10 miles away.

I’d agree. I’m glad Inverness is there but I choose to go there for ‘city stuff’ only. a wander along the river is nice enough but not a reason enough. From Aviemore take the B9007 via Carrbridge for an awesome driving road and go for a wander (assuming nice weather) on Nairn east beach or a wander down the River Findhorn near Ferness then zap through Inverness.

Marin
    Free Member

I’d look for somewhere nicer than Fort William to stay. Good location horrible town.

nickc

Food … Coast or the Pierhouse in Oban

D’you mean in Port Appin? Book early to avoid disappointment! Also as per matt_outandabout, you can grab the wee ferry to Lismore from here, and walk the length of the island, it’s genuinely lovely. back across the ferry for dinner or just a beer if you can’t get a table in the resturant, back in the car, you’d still make Ft William by tea time

Edit: And don’t forget to stop to take a photo of Castle Stalker on your way past. Or better known as Castle Arrrgh…

alanl
    Free Member

Ben Vrackie isn’t a Munro.

You know, I always thought it was a Munro, so that’s why it was easy!

redmex
    Free Member

Go along the road a bit and walk up Ben Lawrz ,even though your parked a good few hundred feet up it will tire you out and another 1000′ view. Don’t do it on a hot day

joshvegas
    Free Member

Great photo Matt. He’s obviously in need of cake after a busy fight season.

Upper Glen nevis is a fantastic place to walk when you are in Fort William. Sinning in the pools also worth it.

scotroutes

Sinning in the pools also worth it.

Depends who you sin with.

joshvegas
    Free Member

ahahahaha

Fat-boy-fat

Yup. Port Appin.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Scotland Road Trip, Hints & Tips’ is closed to new replies.