• This topic has 34 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Marin.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Scotland football team when they were great
  • redmex
    Free Member

My 5 favourite goals
    Dave Narey against Brazil
    Charlie Nicholas against the Swiss
    Kenny Dalglish against Belgium 82/83
    Kenny Dalglish against Wales 1978 ,upset Welsh folk get over Joe Jordan
    Archie Gemmill against the Dutch

Can any other home nation match any of them

Canny see us repeating them again

theotherjonv

David Platt against Belgium (1990)

Shearer against the Dutch (1996)

Hurst (some people are on the pitch)

Beckham against Greece (2001)

And Gazza scored a decent one in 1996 too, but that was against a second or third tier nation so not sure whether it counts 😉

ah, go on then….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evnXFu744uY

Garry_Lager

Too much Kenny the Koppite there redmex. Surely McFadden v France worth a place – matchwinner against a great side.

ElShalimo

weak wrists

redmex
    Free Member

I forgot about Daddy that was great against France

johndoh
    Free Member

@theotherjohnv

Ohh yes – some memorable goals there and I can clearly remember where I was and my reaction / the reaction of those around me for four of the five games. For sheer nail-biting ‘Roy of the Rovers’ stuff I think the Beckham goal edges it for me. Funnily enough I was watching it with two friends – one another massive fan like me, the other was not in the slightest bit interested. Now he has two sons that are both massive fans and play regularly (one being a schoolboy at Coventry City) so he now spends more of his time at football and doing football-related stuff than we ever do despite not liking the game 🙂

Marin
    Free Member

Scotland has a football team?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Stewart McKimmie winner against the world champions, Argentina, at Hampden – my first Scotland game on my own ie no parents.

Don Hutchinson winner at Wembley when we played England off the park, Keegan admitted if we’d got another (and we had plenty chances to do so) England were done for in extra time

Ally McCoist winner Norway to qualify for Italy 90, that was a phenomenal campaign.

And still the worst refereeing decision I have ever, and ever will see, in my entire life. I dare anyone to watch Alan Hutton being taken out below and tell me the mafia weren’t involved…

johndoh
    Free Member

And still the worst refereeing decision I have ever, and ever will see

It was a bad decision I agree, but the worst one ever? Not in a million years.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I said it as the worst I’d seen, unless you know exactly which decisions I’ve seen?. It was a crude body check, that led to us going out, I take the consequence as part of the decision.

Along with Craig Gordon being a shite goalie. 🙂

redmex
    Free Member

Shearer against the Dutch no one near him whatsoever just bad from the Orange shirts and the worlde cup one never crossed the line so shouldn’t have counted , who beat England just after the ’66 cup I honestly can’t remember
    Faddy by the way earlier not Daddy crappy predictive text

johndoh
    Free Member

I said it as the worst I’d seen, unless you know exactly which decisions I’ve seen

You’ve not watched much football then.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Michael Owen against Argentina in 1998

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You’ve not watched much football then

Thanks, I try not to any more.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Scotland have never been great! Some great individuals and goals as above, but the team? Never got out a group stage of a major tournament.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Dave Nareys was just a toe poke that wound the Brazilians up. Strachan against West Germany is my first memorable Scotland goal. Leigh Griffith’s two against England, Beckham only got one against Greece. And the Scotland Ladies have scored a few good goals recently, showing the men how to really snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Darren Fletcher v the Dutch in the play off for Euro 2004? Won first leg 1-0. Lost the second leg 6-0 😮

theotherjonv

Shearer against the Dutch no one near him whatsoever just bad from the Orange shirts

rubbish; another driving run in the inside left channel from Gazza, leaving dutch defenders on their arses, laid it on a plate to Sheringham who dummies the shot and puts another defender on his arse before rolling it over to Shearer who nearly took the posts out at their roots, never mind net off the hooks.

and the worlde cup one never crossed the line so shouldn’t have counted

wrong goal fella. Hurst’s hat trick goal on the day we won the World Cup (still the only home nation to have come close) was nailed in from 30 yards. His 2nd goal has also been shown using modern day tech that it did cross the line too BTW.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge

And still the worst refereeing decision I have ever, and ever will see, in my entire life. I dare anyone to watch Alan Hutton being taken out below and tell me the mafia weren’t involved…

would be more concerned about the defending tbh. 😆

Marin
    Free Member

That Michael Owen goal helped saved my life. When in a Guatemalan jungle with a gun pointed at my head by paramilitaries wearing balaclavas I was reciting the England team to them to prove I wasn’t American. They recognised Michael Owens name and I-got to show them my passport and not be shot in the face. How we all laughed at my near death as I passed a pack of cigarettes around to cement our new friendship. My spare pants came in very handy. For that Michael Owen is one of my sporting heroes.

Cletus

Marin great story – you must be one of the few fans that remembers Owen fondly though.

johndoh
    Free Member

^^^ Christ on a (Marin) bike! If that is true then I am very impressed. If I had a gun pointed at my head I think I would struggle to recall my own name, never mind an England football team.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It was a crude body check, that led to us going out, I take the consequence as part of the decision.

Try a blatant handball by the unapologetically cheating bastard Thierry Henry. (10th anniversary this week I believe.) 😂

Caher

Ray Houghton from county Glasgow got a couple of good ones for us, against England and Italy.
    Jason MC against Holland to qualify for the 1994 WC.
    Robbie Keane against Germany.
    David O’Leary and the penalty against Romania. More for the all-in pile up afterwards.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Gerry Armstrong against Spain in 82 and David Healey against England 2005

easily
    Free Member

Can any country match the Netherlands for absolutely fantastic goals?

5: Van Persie vs Spain WC 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Q1EVnVNTs

4: Van Basten vs Soviet Union EC 1988 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly3mSsHg9T0 It’s impossible to score this goal.

3: Kluivert vs Brazil WC 1998 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBj9uO4e1uY I don’t think I’ve ever seen a better cross/header combination. I have a minor man-crush on Marc Overmars to this day.

2: Cruyff vs Brazil WC 1974 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCU1uExiplo

1: You know what it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsZkCFoqSBs The greatest World Cup goal?

MoreCashThanDash

I was in the crowd for Beckham v Greece. And it genuinely was Beckham v Greece, he was the only one still playing with determination and passion, as I’ve since heard mentioned during the live match commentary.

Also worth mentioning he’d missed a few other free kicks in that match before the famous one that worked!

Funnily enough, I rushed back home from a ride to catch the England v Scotland when Gazza scored. Turned the telly on just as Seaman saved the penalty and then stood there transfixed in the lounge in my riding kit, with my Scott Impulse (sorry landlord) while those next few seconds unfolded. Wow.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I can think of a worse decision in a really important match . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foXf3n1Mv0I

theotherjonv

@easily #1

chuffin’ long ball crap…..hoof it forward, hope the centre forward wins the scrap for the ball and hope the knock down falls to someone 😉

easily
    Free Member

@theotherjonv

I know right? He probably picked up that style of play watching Big Sam’s teams when he was in the PL.

I must also confess I remembered the Kluivert goal incorrectly – it’s De Boar who provides the cross, not Overmars.

hodgynd
    Free Member

😂…sorry cant take this seriously after reading the thread title …

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😂…sorry cant take this seriously after reading the thread title …

Aye, but we’re Scots by birth, you actually chose to be a Newcastle fan….

😂😂😂

Garry_Lager

You want to talk bad decisions – absolutely outrageous freekick to Raith rovers here:

hodgynd
    Free Member

In my defence Nobeer..it was either that or Sunderland ..my grandad ( staunch Sunderland supporter)took me to one of their games a week after I had been to a Newcastle match..but the damage was already done ..

Marin
    Free Member

Yep all true, why bother making stuff up?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Scotland football team when they were great’ is closed to new replies.