Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Schwalbe equivalent to DHF + HR II combo?
  • rocketman
    Free Member

Most of the time I’m fine with a DHF Minion on the front and a HRII on the back but I’d like to try a Schwalbe combo

I’ve used a Magic Mary up front and that was pretty good but I’m not sure what Schwalbe tyre would be most like an HRII.

Recommendations please
    Ta

gelert
    Free Member

Hans Dampf or Nobby Nic – both EVO TrailStar (or the new Addix Soft).

However… having moved the other way from Schwalbe to Maxxis Minion DHF 3C front and DHR 2 3C rear this year I’m much happier on the Maxxis.

However… I will be keeping my Magic Mary around for the front as I don’t think the Maxxis Shorty is a patch on it for that kind of gloopy riding (I’ve not tried a Shorty yet though but the Mary is amazing and going by reviews the Shorty doesn’t grab wet rocks and roots like the Mary definitely does).

Waiting until the Minion DHF / DHR2 combo lets me down though. I also had the Minion SS on the rear until two weeks ago and that was excellent.

Schwalbe are now £20 more expensive at £60. The Maxxis 3Cs are now £49 each (sometimes £41 if you shop around). Schwalbe used to be £30-£35 for the EVO models. Not anymore unless you can find old stock. Only buy the TrailStar compound or better though. PaceStar is crap.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just use HR2 on the rear if you like it, along with the Mary.

Unless you’re one of these weirdos that tyres just have to match, dahling….

chakaping
    Free Member

The classic Schwalbe combo is Hans Dampf rear and Mary front.

gelert
    Free Member

I agree. I ran a Mary with a DHR2 one winter and it was an AMAZING combo. I shall be doing that once my DHF lets me down.

Last year I got away with Nic / Nic. It was good but slow. Nic don’t clog as much as a Dampf though and that’s even slower.

Schwalbe’s saving grace is the Mary. Best front tyre I’ve ever tried. Pair with a HR2 or DHR2 out back.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

In the dry I use Hans damf the roll fine but they aren’t good in winter mud. HR2 way more traction IMHO

fifeandy
    Free Member

Not a recommendation, cos i’ve not tried it, but the Fat Albert rear is probably the closest thing Schwalbe do to a HR2

andybrad

HD (which i run front and back) is rubbish in mud.

New nobby nic is better in mud but not as good in everything else.

Dont touch pacestar .

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe equivalent to DHF + HR II combo?’ is closed to new replies.