• This topic has 19 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by boblo.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Scammed ont FB Marketplace.
  • J273
    Free Member

Just looking for a bit of advice here. I believe ive been scammed on Facebook marketplace and foolishly paid with PP friends and family which i know is not ideal and ive probably lost my money, Was only £100 but not ideal in the current situation.

I did pay with a credit card though so there is some hope i will get the money back.

Do you think the credit card company will help with this at all?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

dannybgoode

As far as I recall if you pay via PayPal the CC company’s obligations are removed as you paid PayPal and PayPal paid the vendor. PP fulfilled its obligations so you received the service you paid for (ie for PayPal to pass the money on).

It’s a bit of a loophole but from memory that’s how it stacks up.

johnners
    Free Member

I’m afraid if you paid with your credit card via PayPal you’ll have lost Section 75 protection. I think your only recourse is through PayPal themselves and they’re unlikely to help in any claim where you used PP Gift.

J273
    Free Member

Ah thats a shame yeah i used my own credit card not through paypals credit.

sadexpunk

yep id have to agree with the others im afraid. PPG is for gifting money to friends and family, so i wouldnt have thought you could claim from the credit card that you didnt receive any goods, or have been scammed.

tomd
    Free Member

The only reason to use PayPal gift in this situation is to avoid paying the fees for the buyer protection.

So having dodged the fees for buyer protection it takes a brass neck to expect buyer protection. It’s the online equivalent of posting an envelope of cash to a stranger and hoping for the best.

As above your CC co will (rightly) not be interested.

dannyh
    Free Member

The only reason to use PayPal gift in this situation is to avoid paying the fees for the buyer protection.

So having dodged the fees for buyer protection it takes a brass neck to expect buyer protection. It’s the online equivalent of posting an envelope of cash to a stranger and hoping for the best.

As above your CC co will (rightly) not be interested.

I’m afraid, this ^^^^

If you effectively take steps to lower cost by actively removing an insurance cost and then need the cover that insurance could provide then…..

You wouldn’t actively stop your car insurance then expect an insurance payout if someone ran into you.

johnners
    Free Member

You actually do pay fees if you use your credit card to fund PayPal gift so it ends up costing the same as normal PayPal anyway.

tomhoward

I’m afraid, this ^^^^

If you effectively take steps to lower cost by actively removing an insurance cost and then need the cover that insurance could provide then…..

The buyer isn’t taking the steps to lower the cost out of greed, the seller is conning the buyer into doing it for no gain. If I sell you something for £10, and you pay by proper PayPal, it costs you a tenner, and the I, the seller, get £9.65. Pay by PPG and it still costs you a tenner, but the seller also gets a tenner, and can wander off into the sunset with his free money that you gave him. Always thought that sellers should get what they advertise/auction stuff for, and any PayPal/transaction costs should be added for the buyer, as they are in proper auctions. Reckon it would stop a lot of scams, as sellers couldn’t guilt folk into waiving the protection. If the choose not to have it, more fool them.

boblo
    Free Member

You actually do pay fees if you use your credit card to fund PayPal gift so it ends up costing the same as normal PayPal anyway.

Is that right? So if the thing is £10.00 and I pay by PPG, £10 plus fees will be debited from my credit card?

Sorry for the slight hijack… I’m a bit confused about PPG vs PP full fat… At which point in the transaction do you choose? I recently bought something and wasn’t paying proper attention when PayPaling (is that really a verb now…?) and can’t recall the options. I wanted full fat but may have selected PPG in error. Luckily the thing turned up. Not helping the OP I know…

tomhoward

You only get the option when not buying through a proper shop/website. If you click the ‘im buying goods or services’ link, that’s full fat PayPal. ‘I’m sending money to a friend’ is PPG.

As the buyer, there is no cost difference to you, but the ‘seller’ gets less if you use full fat PayPal, but the buyer gets the protection, so extra incentive for sellers to ask buyers to use PPG.

Is that right? So if the thing is £10.00 and I pay by PPG, £10 plus fees will be debited from my credit card?

You get charged A fee (to stop folk from using it as a free cash advance service), not sure if it’s the same, but yeah. (Doesn’t apply if the funding source is a bank account, PayPal balance or debit card) If you use normal PayPal the seller pays for the buyers protection.

forked
    Free Member

It’s just semantics really. If I sell something on a bicycle forum, then I’ll state the price the buyer will pay inclusive of the paypal fees. If I sell on facebook, I’ll just state the price, to avoid confusion, as there’s usually a chance someone will turn up with cash in hand.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve sold three pairs of trainers recently on Fb marketplace. I’m utterly stunned that each of the buyers has just PP gifted me the money for them and waited for me to post them, after maybe 3 or 4 message exchanges! 😮 I’d have quite happily gone halves for buyer protection. I only buy locally where I can pay in cash or PP Gift once I have the goods in my hand. It’s frightening how many scammers are on there – “I’ll email the ticket…” being a favourite one on concert event pages.

howard8703

Hey, I did this recently with Gumtree. Tried to buy a Wahoo Kickr Core. Sounded genuine.
    Did the Paypal thing then got an email from Gumtree about it being a suspect post. At £380 i was gutted, I had alot of conversations with the seller too.
    I immediately spoke with Gumtree who advised to log it as a fraud claim through Action fraud: 0300 123 2040.

One saving grace is that i paid with my American Express.
    I called them and they said don’t worry about anything and within 48 hours i had the money back! Saying it wasn’t my fault and it was a scam.

I would definately try your CC bank. You might be lucky.
    Hopefully it works out ok.

convert

The buyer isn’t taking the steps to lower the cost out of greed, the seller is conning the buyer into doing it for no gain. If I sell you something for £10, and you pay by proper PayPal, it costs you a tenner, and the I, the seller, get £9.65. Pay by PPG and it still costs you a tenner, but the seller also gets a tenner, and can wander off into the sunset with his free money that you gave him. Always thought that sellers should get what they advertise/auction stuff for, and any PayPal/transaction costs should be added for the buyer, as they are in proper auctions. Reckon it would stop a lot of scams, as sellers couldn’t guilt folk into waiving the protection. If the choose not to have it, more fool them.

This always used to be an option – that the charge was either borne for the buyer or the seller. You got to choose. Was that removed? It was there as recently as last year I think. I only know as I bought something that way without thinking and the seller rejected and refunded the payment and asked me to do it the other way around (so I paid the extra).

J273
    Free Member

@howard8703 Thanks Im going to give my credit card company a ring and see what they say. Did you pay with PP gift then?

Thanks

andylc
    Free Member

I’d have thought if your credit card was involved you should still have some protection. Although using PayPal gift is a very silly idea!

tomhoward

This always used to be an option – that the charge was either borne for the buyer or the seller. You got to choose. Was that removed? It was there as recently as last year I think. I only know as I bought something that way without thinking and the seller rejected and refunded the payment and asked me to do it the other way around (so I paid the extra).

Don’t think I’ve ever seen it as an option? Not when using PayPal outside eBay anyway (been years since I used eBay) Sure it wasn’t just the seller seeing that he wasn’t getting what he thought, so refunded and you and asked pay for the item again plus fees?

Superficial
    Free Member

When you log into Paypal and click send money, there’s an option for either ‘Sending to a family member or friend’ or ‘Paying for an item or service’. In the past, the ‘family and friends’ version was called PayPal Gift (PPG for short) although perhaps they’ve stopped calling it that.

One of them is free, the other charges (the seller) some fees. Think of it like insurance. Of course, just because PayPal don’t refund you, other avenues to get your money back are available (E.g. via FaceBook, the police etc) however fruitless they probably seem.

If you’ve only used Paypal to pay via eBay or online shops, you won’t have been given that option.

boblo
    Free Member

I use my credit card to fund PayPal purchases just for convenience and perhaps another level of protection. On this recent transaction, I can’t recall choosing family & friends or goods & services but the amount debited, is the amount I paid. How can you check if you sent something PPG or pukka PayPal please?

Oh, and sorry for being a bit of a fanny…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Scammed ont FB Marketplace.’ is closed to new replies.