• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by hunta.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Scalextric (and other slot cars) !
  • Harry_the_Spider

We’ve done RC Cars and Airfix so I thought I’d chuck Scalextric into the mix.

I’ve had to re-box mine as storage space was becoming an issue.

Me and the kids got it out over the weekend to see what we had and what we actually need. It is an analogue set-up, with mostly “classic” track and new style twin supply Power Base and Digital Lap Counter.

The cars are largely SCX as I find that they are a lot less faff than Scalextric. They are also cheaper.

It hadn’t been used since Christmas 2019, so there was an awful lot of buggering about to get it to run smoothly. As I result I’ve ordered some contact cleaner and a 10m reel of braid.

We put down enough track for an 8 second lap which, with jumper leads, is about as much as my twin power supply setup can cope with without a noticeable drop put. I also discovered that I only used about 20% of what we have. I’d been buying bundles in charity shops to get barriers and so on, but as a result I’ve ended up with way too much. Anything broken was weeded out and binned, I’ll offer the surplus to my mate up the road or give it back to charity.

Has anyone else got any?

Excuse the pile of washing, it had just started to rain so I had to get it off the line quickly.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4ftK9U16aQ53v8Dm6

drnosh
    Free Member

Nice one.

Could have been a photograph of my pair when they were younger!

oldtennisshoes

There was one in a gang,
    Who had Scalextric,
    And because of that,
    He thought he was better than you.
    Everyday after school,
    You’d go around there to play it,
    Hoping to compete for some kind championship,
    And it always took about 15 billion hours to set the track up.
    And even when you did, the thing never seemed to work.
    It was a dodgy transformer, again and again.
    A dodgy transformer, again and again.
    It was a dodgy transformer, again and again.
    A dodgy transformer, cost 3 pounds 10.

Obvs

flicker
    Free Member

Sounds a very similar setup to us, twin PSU, digital lap timer and a mix of original and new track.
    Fabulous fun, we haven’t used it in a while as my boys are 18 and 21 now, we used to set it up and leave it up for a few weeks once or twice a year. Mostly Fly cars, always found the scalextric cars to be poor quality in comparison. We’ve a pair of Porsches with working lights for night races too 😀

northernmatt

We have big box full of Micro Scalextric. The boy got it out a few weeks ago and we found that one the controllers had a snapped connector and the cars all need new brushes. They wouldn’t get more than a couple of sections of track before cutting out so it could also be dodgy track connections.

fossy

Big set of the original stuff with my cars varying from around 45 years old to 20 years old.

sharkattack

Is Scalextric ever good? I’m always tempted by it but I remember how temperamental it was. The cars look mint and I’d love to build one.

thepodge
    Free Member

I used to have a massive track set up full time when I was a kid. Hacked the wheel arches off a mini and stuck the F1 rear wheels in there to make a dragster. Wish I know what my dad did with it all but last I saw of it the track was all rusty so probably wouldnt work anyway.

Got a basic kit set up for my lad now and keep considering buying some old school cars for it.

jp-t853

Sharkattack – the new track is far more reliable and much easier to put together. The new cars in the sets often have strong magnets which keep them on the track at higher speed, it is Good for Young kids but takes away some of the fun. We attach caravans to the new cars which is great fun however as they skid about behind the cars.

On new track it is worth buying better quality cars like this Ford Falcon to get back the skill of driving a car without too much grip.

New track sets with upgraded cars are brilliant

New cars with caravans are also great
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111529444118?hash=item19f7ac4316:g:mmYAAOSw3ydV5wWA

sharkattack

That Ford Falcon looks amazing. And caravans? I’m in.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Is Scalextric ever good? I’m always tempted by it but I remember how temperamental it was

I always thought it would be loads better if the cars went a bit slower and/or the controls were modulated a bit better. I only remember the cars flying off at each corner. Nice HMHB ref earlier too 👏

slowoldman

I used to go to a proper slot racing club. All floating chassis, polyurethane painted track and tyre dressing. Still have a car sitting in a box along with my heavily modded hand controller.

mick_r

Made this for the kids a few years ago.

Bullet

@slowoldman – back in the 70’s (!) used to race at Reeds Paper Mills club near Snodland. Cars were blindingly quick – goop on the tyres etc, brilliant fun. Some people raced 1/24 wing cars which were just an aerodynamic wedge shaped body with clear plastic vanes down the sides. Would cut your hands if you got in the way of one!

hunta

Got a box of about 30 cars somewhere that were already ancient when my dad hauled then out for me to use as a kid 40 years ago. All kinds of front engine cars from the 30s, 40s and 50s – Blower Bentleys, Alfas and the like. Last time we ran them the controllers got suspiciously hot in the hand, the cars gave off a strange smell and the ones that ran barely moved as the tyres were so hard they had no traction whatsoever. Still, waiting for the right time to pull them out and have a sift through with my kids one of these days.

dovebiker

I worked at a design company in the 80’s employing lots of design engineers, electronic geeks plus an empty industrial unit. It got very out of hand with late night tinkering and modification of cars with excessive alcohol consumption. They had to put a stop to it as Scalectrix was consuming a fair chunk of the company’s resources and profit.

slowoldman

Some people raced 1/24 wing cars which were just an aerodynamic wedge shaped body with clear plastic vanes down the sides.

Ooh I never came across those. The club I went to was 1/32. The car I still have is a Cam-Am McLaren. Dayglo orange of course.

I did once make a pilgrimage to Tottenham Model Raceway. Blimey what a track that was.

FB-ATB

Blower Bentleys, Alfas and the like

Hunta- those cars could be quite valuable

Bullet

Wow, I remember Tottenham, a massive track as I recall. The Reeds track had a huge banked hairpin at the end of the straight which was fun if you got it right.

hunta

Blower Bentleys, Alfas and the like

Hunta- those cars could be quite valuable

It’s crossed my mind, but I’ve no idea how to establish that without inevitably being told they’re ‘nothing special mate, but tell you what, I’ll take them off your hands for £(insert disappointing number here)’.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Scalextric (and other slot cars) !’ is closed to new replies.