Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Scalextric Advice
  • CaptainSlow

I’m thinking of getting a scalextric set “for the kids” for Christmas.

From what I’ve read on tinternet I’m told to buy the most expensive set I can afford as this is the best value.

Does anyone have any suggestions or do I just breath in and get the digital platinum set? Best price I’ve seen for it is £440. 😯

Ta

northernmatt

eBay? You’d be able to recreate the ‘ring with £440 at eBay prices*

* I might have made this bit up.

tootallpaul

I have a great scaletrix set up in the loft,,, must get round to selling it.

scotroutes

I tried to flog mine off a few months back but no one was interested. I went through ebay and checked the value of some of the cars and reckon there’s £100 or so without including any track.

matt22
    Free Member

I got one as a kid and wished I had a Tamiya radio controlled car instead, took awhile to set up and had to take it down for room every night

eskay

Get a digital set, the ability to switch lanes adds another dimension to the races.

globalti
    Free Member

Definitely go digital but no need to send that much money for the kids to enjoy it. After a couple of weeks it will be unused and taking up space.

Harry_the_Spider

There are two (well more actually) ways of doing it.

1) Biggest digital set you can afford.

2) Buy old stuff off ebay and clean it up. Get a new power base, transformers and throttles though.

Also, shop around for your cars. You can get SCX, Carrera and so at some good prices if you shop around. They will work with the minimum of fiddling on Scalectric track.

http://www.pendleslotracing.co.uk/

http://www.goldstarstockists.net/live/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=scx&sort=2a&page=1

http://www.hedleyshobbies.com/

Home

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-scalextric-fans

eskay

Wow!

oliverd1981
    Free Member

The best value for money is to hunt around until you find the Brisco stock car. This can be made to spin 180 degrees in the corners and drive the wrong way, a well timed spin can wipe your opponent off the track. Top Fun.

Harry_the_Spider

eBay? You’d be able to recreate the ‘ring with £440 at eBay prices*

I did Suzuka for about £50 😀

Pigface
    Free Member

There was a shop in Bristol on Gloucester Road that used to sell all manner of trick bits for “Scalextric” I think the hot ticket was Fly motors. Scalextric was great but not done it for years.

£440 you are havin a laugh 😆

http://www.getslotted.co.uk/

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I guessed three replies before your same set of scalextric pics made an appearance Harry_the_spider. Standards are slipping.

boxfish
    Free Member

There was a shop in Bristol on Gloucester Road that used to sell all manner of trick bits for “Scalextric”

Nobby’s Hobbies by any chance? There was also Model Highways on the other side of the road.

Both establishments are now sadly gone but received most of my hard-earned paper round money as a kid in the 80s. I bought a Scelextric loop-the-loop there which never really delivered what was illustrated on the box.

Harry_the_Spider

Fervour 🙂 I was just showing that you don’t need to spend a fortune. All my other Scalextric pictures involve the kids fighting over the purple controller.

stupot
    Free Member

Due to getting a bit carried away on e-bay I may have a load of track in the classified soon.
    When my wife suggested buying some track for the kids I don’t think she ment 200foot of it!

Harry_the_Spider

When my wife suggested buying some track for the kids I don’t think she ment 200foot of it!

I know that feeling. 😳

crankboy
    Free Member

What tinkering sxc cars need to run on scaletrix track. I just impulse bought two from tkmax and have an old scaletrix track.

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

I bought a Scelextric loop-the-loop there which never really delivered what was illustrated on the box.

Yep, you needed hotwheels for that. They can even do it with a real car!!

freddyg
    Free Member

+1 crankboy – My son wanted a new car for Christmas, so I bought all three of the TK Maxx ones! I couldn’t decide on which two, so bought them all – bargain price too.

z1ppy

Friend was tell me about his m8’s setup, apparently new digital stuff allow you to change tracks (and still retain control) and overtake properly now & you can have the system run race cars for you to compete against. Sounds more interesting that the old setup.

crankboy
    Free Member

leeds store had five or more different cars 2 formula 1 type and 3 rally ish ones for £12.99 to £16, ironically they also had a die cast mini not slot car for £14.

Harry_the_Spider

What tinkering sxc cars need to run on scaletrix track. I just impulse bought two from tkmax and have an old scaletrix track.

You can tinker with the magnates (or remove them completely) to reduce or increase the level of grip – look on YouTube, and if you are really in the mood you can solder a 100 ohm resistor into the circuit for the front lights as SCX run on a lower voltage than Scalextric and you can pop the LEDs if you are unlucky.

Carrera cars need a bit of sanding on the guide if you are using R1 curves.

crankboy
    Free Member

ta harry

Harry_the_Spider

No worries. What did you get?

IMHO SCX are better than Scalextric as they are a bit slower with less grip so you can slide them about. Also, when junior does launch one into the wall it should survive.

Check out the Goldstar link that I posted earlier as they often have them on offer.

SCX Ferrari 360s are very good as they are short and wide so they handle very well. The longer ones like Aston Martin DBR9s are a bit tail happy which makes them good fun for adults but irritating for kids as they crash easily. SCX NASCARs are good too as they are almost unbreakable and look cool.

crankboy
    Free Member

A ford fiesta es wrc and a Chevrolet corvette c6r please keep in mind my wife is on this forum and in two hours I will be explaining that this purchase was an unmissable bargain and an ideal Xmas present for crankbrat who will be 2 1/2 at Xmas.

Harry_the_Spider

…also, don’t be tempted by cheap AutoArt cars. They are crap.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I was about to ask how old for this sort of stuff? Blobby jr at 20 months, do I start planning my circuits now? 🙂

crankboy
    Free Member

When people asked me what to buy cranbrat for his first Xmas I said scaletrix obviously I have been saying it at every point since and am now taking it into my own hands . He also has a fab collection of ww1 airfix and revel aircraft hanging over his cot.

johndoh
    Free Member

Is it just me or does anyone else find the constant ‘flying off the track and getting stuck under a chair’ thing a real put-off?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Scalextric Advice’ is closed to new replies.