Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • convince me: flat pedals
  • andcarson
    Free Member

Hi all
    I’ve recently tried to get into flats after many years of SPD’s. On some level I’ve found it liberating and have been really going for it on some more technical and jumpy bits. But today, in a very muddy dalby forest, my feet were sliding off every 2 seconds. Admittedly I’m using non specific trainers and shit v8 copies. My question is, are the famed shoe and pedal combinations people go on about actually effective in very muddy and rainy conditions?
    Cheers Andy

kudos100
    Free Member

Flat pedals are what Jesus himself would ride. Made from the tears of unicorns and asses milk.

Riding flat pedals will transform you into a cross between John Tomac and Hugh Hefner.

Convinced?

alexdodd
    Free Member

Some 5tens and pinned pedals (loads to choose from) jobs a goodun’.

mactheknife

Why change? If you have been running SPD’s for so long it is going to take a good while to adjust to the new technique.

Im a fully-fledged SPD fan, i have tried flats but i have never been interested in sticking with them long enough to get used to them. I can unclip very quickly to dab and i love having my foot in the right place all the time.

But its all horses for courses. Go with what ever suits ya 😀

pipiom
    Free Member

Superstar nano’s + 5:10’s =

beefheart
    Free Member

510s are grippy but over hyped- any flat soled skate style shoe will provide decent enough grip on shit V8 copies.

Obviously less compared to SPDs though.

chiefgrooveguru

It’s the trainers that are the problem – that and poor flats technique. Any skate shoe will stick well, actually even Converse stick well but they’re horribly bendy. The sole needs to be flat for the pins to grip.

beefheart
    Free Member

Flat pedals are what Jesus himself would ride.

True dat.

trailhound
    Free Member

In a word -Yes! I too made the switch to flats after about 15 years on spds whilst working and riding in the Scottish Highlands on some real technical stuff. Started off on the cheap using a pair of skate shoes and V8’s which weren’t much use really but wanted to be sure I liked the flats before spending more cash. Eventually upgraded to dmr vaults and 5ten Sam Hills – the difference was incredible – seriously sticky, so much so that sometimes it can be harder getting my feet off the pedals than if they were clipped in. Go for it – you won’t regret it!

PrinceJohn

Flats for fun, spds to long days in the saddle.

Superstar/NukeProof/Moove pedals are all good for the money – 510’s improve over regular trainers/sk8 shoes as the soles are stiffer, that said someone will be along shortly to say they offer no feel…

alpin
    Free Member

SPDs are gay….. convinced yet?

kudos100
    Free Member

I used to ride spd’s and I switched to flats. My cawk grew 2 inches.

True story.

martinh
    Free Member

Flats for fun AND long days in the saddle. SPDs if you’re a pro racer and every millisecond counts

acehtn
    Free Member

Airwalk skate shoes under £20 from sport direct and DMR V8 with longer corner pins on the outside edges, mud had no effect on pedal grip :)lasted a few race seasons on that set up.

V8 copies, do they have fixed solid pins (not so good)
    or do they have allen/hex key pins that are replaceable on the corners or the whole pedal ?

I just bought a bag of 100 stainless pins from a nut&bolt supplier that are longer than stock DMR pins, well cheap that way, just took a pin in and asked for longer ones, few years back was around £6 for 100.

I have not got on with solid spanner on pins and fixed solid pins and normal skate shoes, 5.10 wearers don’t notice so much. V12 with longer pins all round was a bit to grippy.

If your pedals allow the use of other pins try some longer ones on the corners…….oh and shin pads might be handy too 🙂

andcarson
    Free Member

Thanks all. I’m going to flagellate myself for even thinking about SPDs ever again

core

I’ve been on flats since I changed bike last year and started riding more technical stuff, have to say I’m more confident on the rough stuff.

Wore my spd’s last weekend though, and on the downhills, they killed my feet when standing, really uncomfortable, may be cleat position, but there’s not that much adjustment.

phinbob

I think one of the best things about flats is they don’t let you get away with poor foot positioning. I’ve had my feet come off a few times with decent pedals and shoes (5.10’s) it has always been when when I’ve failed to properly drop my heels and drive the bike with my legs on descents.

Mind you I don’t ride much in mud as round here it’s really un-rideable after rain.

tomstickland
    Free Member

The Shimano flat shoes plus long studs on pedals work really well.

mulv1976
    Free Member

I’m a flat convert (nanos + 5tens) after about 15 years of spd. It forces you into a better technique and to move more with the bike. It’s made me a better rider although that’s not saying much…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Flat pedals are what Jesus himself would ride

And having never followed the what would jesus do advice don’t bother. Clips are not a limiting factor.

Rockape
    Free Member

Shimano AM41 shoes and superstar Nano’s grippier than a grippy thing on grippy day.

rickmeister

Flat pedals are what Jesus himself would ride.

Indeed, but as we all know, He is not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy…..

We also know God and most of the World Cup downhill riders run clipped…..

This:

Clips are not a limiting factor.

Convince yourself Andy…

mulv1976
    Free Member

We also know God and most of the World Cup downhill riders run clipped…..

And most (if not all) pro riders started out on flat pedals and only use clips as they need every 0.1 second they can get. They also don’t want to be slipping off the pedals and losing time or crashing out (bryceland for example) – something most average riders aren’t too fussed about. I’m not sure about God tho – i haven’t seen he/she/it up the chase much.

Why not ride both? Seriously, flats will make your technique better after a few months and you can always switch back again.

Bregante

Flats on the full sus. SPD’s on the hardtail.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Seriously, flats will make your technique better after a few months and you can always switch back again.

If flat pedal riders are so much better why do I keep catching them? The pedals you ride has not much bearing on your skills.
    It is possible to have good technique and use spd’s

mulv1976
    Free Member

If flat pedal riders are so much better why do I keep catching them? The pedals you ride has not much bearing on your skills.

Because you must be totes amazeballs…

And I’m not saying that riding flats will make you better than everyone else, I am saying it can help you to be a smoother rider by appreciating the movement of the bike more.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, but if you want to learn good technique then you need to use flat pedals.

Northwind

Ride whichever one you like. There is a difference, but not enough to even be decisive for the pros never mind while knobbing about in the woods. Ideally ride both, learn how to make them both go, then decide, so you’re making an informed decision (but most people don’t do this- they spend years on one type of pedal, swap to the other, fall off 50 times in the first ride then decide it sucks)

mikewsmith – Member

Sure is. But SPDs allow bad technique, while flats don’t. So it’s not that SPDs make you bad, they can just paper over the cracks if you let them. Naturally learning is easier when the difference between right and wrong is so clear (and the penalty for doing it wrong tends to be a savage treeing!)

wl
    Free Member

Flats make it far easier to abandon ship when it all goes pear-shaped. Seen a fair few SPD riders somersaulting down mountains still clipped in. Particularly relevant if you ride steep technical stuff. Decent pedals and flat-specific shoes are defo worth the dosh if your usual trails are very lumpy/muddy/technical. My money’s on Superstar Ultra Mags – light, tough, maintenance-free and cheap when they’re on offer.

VanHalen

i dont understand this SPD`s make you have bad technique thing.

SPD`s teach commitment which is half the battle with riding i find.

I think i’ve improved as a rider since switching to clips – less foot out, less dabbing, much more commitment, more understanding of what my tyres are capable of, better feel.

I’ll probably still ride flats when its really gopping as the roots are dead slippery and a front wheel washout is pretty terminal in clips. but for 80% of my riding inc jumps steeps etc i’ll be using clips.

MarkN
    Free Member

Another flat convert here. I used SPD’s for about 10 years and have now been on flats for a while and do not see my self going back. Wet muddy trails should not be an issue with proper technique and shoes.

Spent years on:

Flats – HT
    Flats + Powergrips (remember them) – HT
    Flats – HT
    Flats – FS
    CB Mallets – FS – currently still in use
    Still have flats on HT

Prefer the Mallets by far, as I like being attached to the bike. They have loads of float and are easy to get in and out of, even in mud. Used with chunky shoes/boots you can rest on the platform too if needed. I’m still at reasonable ease using flats though.

So to summarise…

Jesus rides flats
    God rides clipped in
    The Artist pleases himself

GolfChick
    Free Member

I have five tens and superstar nanotech pedals but recently demoed a bike with some v8 pedals…. I hated them! The platform for me was a lot smaller than the superstar and noticeably so! If you really wanna stick with it I’d go for a different pedal myself.

stcolin
    Free Member

Tried the old Shimano DX shoe and 5050’s and Gusset pedals. Both were a horrible combination and slipped off over anything rough.

For now, I’m out.

xiphon
    Free Member

SPDs have made me a better rider, I’m convinced of it. Probably is a “commitment” thing.

Hammering a BMX round a race track clipped in was a sharp learning curve….

creedy
    Free Member

At swinley on Sunday a couple of blokes asked me and my bro to do a section before them as we were on flats, so in their opinion where more likely to be in need of the air ambulance. Still can’t figure that out! But duly obliged them by riding off like we’d stole em. Best run I’ve done there! Think it was top off 25 not sure though. Funny how a little thing can focus the mind. I don’t mind either. But do like the freedom to move about on the flats

j3ffo
    Free Member
    ahwiles
    Free Member

andcarson:

do your cheap pedals have steel pins? – or just bumps moulded into the aluminium?

steel pins = grippy when wet.

moulded bumps = death.

you can get adequate grip from most shoes, on most pedals. Some combos work/feel better than others, but mostly, once you’ve got flat pedals with steel pins, grip is a technique thing.

don’t stand on tip toes, learn to relax, ‘drop’ your heels, RELAX.

VanHalen

Hammering a BMX round a race track clipped in was a sharp learning curve….

that would defo sort out your commitment!

Northwind

Van Halen – Member

SPD`s teach commitment which is half the battle with riding i find.

Yeah, I agre with that too. OTOH this only works up til the point that you don’t want to commit, and just don’t ride it instead. Flats can help you get into the scary stuff in the first place.

So I reckon the best of both worlds is both worlds 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘convince me: flat pedals’ is closed to new replies.