• This topic has 42 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by nibby.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • SC Bronson Help/Advice
  • nibby
    Free Member

Hi Guys, wondering if you can help with a few questions.
    I’m thinking of a SC Bronson but would be getting the full bike not building myself etc. Questions below and would be grateful for some REAL WORLD advice

1. Carbon or Alu – Will I notice a massive difference in the way the bike handles? Never had Carbon before but if there is a big advantage then would consider.

2. The cheaper build comes with Rock Shox RL forks the upgraded forks are Rock Shox Pike – again what are the real world advantages of upgrading?

3. Susp. Standard is Fox CDT the upgrade is Fox CDT Kashima – same as above will I notice anything major

I will be using the bike for mostly UK riding, Peaks,Lakes, Wales, Scotland etc and will mostly be doing natural terrain so not a great deal of MB Centre stuff. I will also use it maybe once a year for a week in places like Chamonix.

I’m not the best or worst rider, well havent ridden for a few yrs so probably need to get up to scratch again but I would class myself as pretty average.

There is a big difference in price in the above upgrades and just want to know if they are worth considering.

Thanks for any help.
    Cheers

kimbers

1 lighter other than that can’t imagine much

2 pikes all the way

3 kashima wouldn’t bother with personally I’d go for a float x over ctd if it’s an option or

matthew_h
    Free Member

Where abouts are you? We, 18 BIkes in Hope, have a Bronson demo bike that you could come and demo. There are other ways of getting a good build other than the off the shelf SC builds.

tomhoward

Stif have a massive demo fleet too.

I’m in the exact same postition as you and have been labouring over this for months.

had a demo on both alu and carbon, with various different builds from base alu model to £9,000 superbike.

1 I’m going for carbon, mainly for the weight, partly for the bling.

2 Pikes Pikes PIKES! Nothing else gets a look in from me.

3 Kashima upgrade I’m not sold that it’s enough of an upgrade for the cost (around £200-300 iirc) so my plan is to get the cheaper shock, upgrade to a CCDBA, selling the orignial to offset the cost a bit.

Worth thinking that if you do a frame only option (the build prices aren’t really reduced from building up from scratch at RRP), then build up you can focus your budget on what you value, as much as a crime it would be to use deore drivetrain and brakes, funds can be redistributed to wheels or forks (or carbon)

Or (my other dilemma) buy a lapierre spicy team instead.

#ultimatefirstworldproblems

cultsdave
    Free Member

The Carbon frame is £700 more expensive, for what is already an expensive frame. Real world differences? Lighter yes but would you notice the difference? I would spend the £700 pounds I saved on lighter weight better components. But if money isn’t an object, go for it.

tomhoward

1.5lbs frame weight difference (5.3 plays 6.8) Given that accepted weight loss budget is £1/gram (isn’t it?) £700 to save 681ish grams doesn’t seem tooo bad?

Fully appreciate you could buy a nice bike for £700, but thats not the issue here!

matthew_h
    Free Member

Stiffer and stronger too

nibby
    Free Member

All, thanks for responses, great help. Looks like the Pikes are the ones to get.
    Good points for and against the carbon.

I had a SC Nickel a few years back (now sold because I wasnt using it!!) but have decided to get back into riding again.

Matthew h, bought the Nickel from you guys around 3 yrs ago.
    Without having tested the Bronson, will the Bronson ride difference to the Nickel or similar?

Cheers

nibby
    Free Member

Tomhoward were you impressed with the Bronson?

antares
    Free Member

I will be using the bike for mostly UK riding

Thought about the 5010/Solo?

nibby
    Free Member

Thought about the 5010/Solo?

I did but thought the Bronson would give me a few more options if/when riding in Europe.

I probably need to get to one of the SC demo day’s ideally so I can try them.

colster808
    Free Member

If you buy that bike be prepared for the constant question, ‘is that THE Bronson’ followed by ‘is it carbon’ from everyone you meet on the trail. Happens so often to a riding buddy that it’s becoming a running joke…he loves it though.

His has the Fox CTD forks which he was not too impressed with and has sent them to be push tuned. So Pikes look like the option to go for.

dmorts

would be grateful for some REAL WORLD advice

Make sure it’s secured in Fort Knox overnight. Very desirable bike, quite jealous!

D0NK

Given that accepted weight loss budget is £1/gram

think that depends on who you ask and how deep their pockets are.

nibby
    Free Member

Got a demo ride on Sat at nwmtb on a carbon model they have in. It will hopefully start the ball rolling. I believe they also do custom builds so can chat to them if I like the ride.

tomhoward

I was, I demoed them at stainburn, so lots of short sharp ups and downs with a few fun jumpy, bermy features that it handled pretty well, fox rear shock with no adjustment from me, save for a quick dabble with a shock pump to set it for my weight, not the biffer man mountain that had it before me 🙂 but I did think that with a bit of knob twisting and fettling (by one more knowledgable than I) it could perform better.

Specifically on the carbon one, it was the hyper bike with enve carbon rims (the alloy had some standard DT ones) so not sure how much was down to them and how much was the frame, but there was a definite difference, just felt more spritely, though again this was top drawer everything (xx1, xtr brakes, carbon everything) so that will have contributed too.

If you look at each area it is a bit better which, on its own isn’t that big a difference – Don’t get me wrong, the alloy is by no stretch of anyones imagination a bad bike, its ace, and you would be very happy with it. Its just the C climbs a bit better, handles a bit better, decends a bit better etc, not worth it for that one thing alone, but because EVERYTHING is better, it is well worth it!

Also worth bearing in mind, I tried a Solo/5010 C too and genuinely thought it was a 140mm frame (thought the bronson was 160mm too 😳 ) as it just never felt out of its depth or limited by its travel though, like you, I want to use the bike in the alps so want that extra beefiness from the bronson. The solo wasnt half rapid though!

bravesirrobin

Having done a custom Bronson C build I would second most (if not all) of tomhoward’s advice (never considered a Lapierre though). I spent the extra on the Factory CTD shock and am now toying with the idea of upgrading to the CCDB Air, so in retrospect I might have saved my money on that. Pikes are a no brainer IMO. Carbon vs. alu …well I rode a demo alu (briefly) before buying a carbon and it was also very good; I think you’d be happy with either but the carbon frame is exceptionally stiff …arguably you may be better off spending the money on carbon wheels but that’s a whole other discussion! 🙂

nibby
    Free Member

Cracking, cheers Tom, great help. I’m looking forward to the test ride to see how it goes. I’m not 100% on the SC but have had one in the past and was impressed.
    I just need to make sure I actually use the one I decide on this time!!

ChrisI

I have a SB66c but was very tempted by the Bronson C. Same problem with Alu vs Carbon, and if you have the cash, go for the carbon. It drops the weight of the frame by a good chunk, but more than that it makes for a much stiffer frame, and it definitely feels better. The other question to ask yourself is will you be upgrading stuff eventually? As you can add better forks/shock/compoenents, but cant then upgrade to a carbon frame later for a small amount. Better to get carbon to start with and be happy with it, you wont be disappointed.

Go for the Pikes and I’d say the Kashima shock or better to give it the full works 😀

bravesirrobin

Enjoy your ride on Saturday! I understand that carbon floats better than alu too 😉

nibby
    Free Member

Having done a custom Bronson C build I would second most (if not all) of tomhoward’s advice (never considered a Lapierre though). I spent the extra on the Factory CTD shock and am now toying with the idea of upgrading to the CCDB Air, so in retrospect I might have saved my money on that. Pikes are a no brainer IMO. Carbon vs. alu …well I rode a demo alu (briefly) before buying a carbon and it was also very good; I think you’d be happy with either but the carbon frame is exceptionally stiff …arguably you may be better off spending the money on carbon wheels but that’s a whole other discussion!

Good one. I like the look of the CCDB Air so might see what the cost will be to swap out the stock and replace with the CCDB.

From experience I agree with using the savings on the Carbon for other stuff. All good advice and lots to think about.

Glad I asked, keep em coming please 🙂

tomhoward

Good one. I like the look of the CCDB Air so might see what the cost will be to swap out the stock and replace with the CCDB.

I’ve not spoken to any shops about it in person, but the various configurators online suggest you have to buy the CCDBA on top of the base frame price. ie the upgrade price was the full rrp of the shock.

Which is less than ideal 🙁

bravesirrobin

You’re right tomhoward, I was told that the frame couldn’t be supplied without a shock (by the importer Jungle) and my LBS was reluctant to take it off and deduct the price because it has a custom tune for the Bronson and would be difficult to resell.

tomhoward

it has a custom tune for the Bronson and would be difficult to resell.

Ah, hadnt figured on that (was gonna ebay/classifieds it myself). Wonder if it would work equally well on other VPP models from SC, and perhaps other mfrs?

nibby
    Free Member

Bummer!! Sounds like they are trying to protect various things to me!!

tomhoward

Be interesting if that changes now Jungle have taken on BOS shocks! 😈

purser_mark
    Free Member

I have a Carbon SB66 which is no fly weight bike. A carbon frame is not just about the weight it is about handling response and stiffness. Carbon bikes feel quicker and more lively because of that extra stiffness if they have been designed correctly.

I would try both if you can before making a decision. I also would not rule out a carbon Zesty with some Pikes, could save you a bundle.

It’s easy to upgrade the shaft of your rear shock to Kashima when it is being serviced at a later date.

Nice choices ahead, lucky chap!

bravesirrobin

Not sure how well it would work on other VPP bikes but I doubt you’ll have a problem selling it – just expect a bit less for it. Alternatively keep it as a backup and for times when your CCDB Air is being serviced. You may also want to put it back on the frame when you eventually sell it.

bravesirrobin

Santa Cruz seem to be adamant that the Float CTD is the best shock for the bike and that they will not be offering a piggy-back shock with the Bronson in future …My guess is that’s because the new Nomad will be sold with a Float X and to offer that with the Bronson would confuse the model line-up. All opinions on the forums seem to be that the CCDB Air works great with the Bronson though!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I’d second and third the try a demo before you go spending your money. Took one out for day and half at Afan. also have a demo on a Zesty lined up. Going back to try solo as well. Then I will decide. No rush

nibby
    Free Member

I’d second and third the try a demo before you go spending your money. Took one out for day and half at Afan. also have a demo on a Zesty lined up. Going back to try solo as well. Then I will decide. No rush

110% agree.

justme
    Free Member

As kimbers says except
    1. I found that carbon felt much “sharper” handling. It’s difficult to explain but that’s the only word to describe its so much so that I would have to think very hard to go back to an ally bike again it would have to be very good indeed.
    This was a nomad tho rather than a Bronson
    No doubt either will be a very good bike tho
    G

tomhoward

Got a demo ride on Sat at nwmtb on a carbon model they have in

How was it?

nibby
    Free Member

Cracking Tom…

weather was pretty wet but came back with a big smile on my face!! It did everything very well without and drama’s. Coming down a few trails it handled fantastic.

I haven’t ridden in a few years but it felt way better than my old SC Nickel.

NWMTB were also first class, having been dealing with motorcycle shops for years it makes a big difference when a shop goes the extra mile to help.

I think for the type of riding I will be doing it will more than do everything I need although I suppose a £500 hardtail would also do that but sod it you only live once (which is what I always tell myself when I cant afford something!!) 🙂

fozzybear
    Free Member

Nibby.
    My GF and I have SC bikes.
    I have had a few SC frames over my time.

I have recently sold my SC Blur LT for a Blur LTC.
    This was due to me riding my GF Bronson C.

The Carbon version is stiffer, lighter, snappier and flexes differently.
    This isn’t a mental difference but a tangible one i can feel when climbing and pushing on at pace.
    I used to be able to flex my old SC at the BB side to side a lot the carbon version has none of this flex.
    It’s not cheap to get Carbon editions but worth it IMO.

Pikes are a worthy upgrade.
    They sink less in the middle of the stroke helping to maintain the head angle of the frame and increase stability.
    They are a improvement over the RL fork that will last and improve the way the bike handles.

Kashima coating.
    I find the std CTD shock ok but it can be improved.
    I bought my Blur LTC with a rp23 none Kashima and instantly swapped it for a kashima coated rp23 I had TFTuned for the previous frame.
    The std shock is ok, I found it worth getting the shock push’d or buying a shock like the float X or Monach plus over the std that comes with SC frames.
    Also be aware the lever on the CTD gets filled with crud and jams up, keep it filled with grease in the small detents that are on the underside of the blue lever.
    I’ve never been happy with the supplied shocks on my SC frames and will look to change to a CCDB air, monach plus or float x in the future. As is my TFTuned Push’d RP23 is good enough.
    I can’t put a tangible reason to why i.e. blowing though the travel, poor on large hits, poor small bump compliancy. They just don’t feel sorted.

nibby
    Free Member

Good tips Fozzy, cheers.

hoping to spend a lot more time on this one than my previous SC

more to follow soon hopefully WITH PICTURES …. 🙂 😉

downhilldave

Agree with Tom and Fozzy re the Pikes :mrgreen: Very accomplished fork, rides much better than my Fox 150’s. Try the Spicy team Tom,had mine since late December.

tomhoward

Try the Spicy team Tom,had mine since late December

I tried an E:i 516 last year and was completely sold on the leccy suspension then! Not tried the 2014 one yet but with all the reviews/plaudits I can’t see it being bad!

I saw your thread on yours at the time, as it happens Earnshaws will be where I’ll be looking at/potentially be buying, as my lappy dealer (and part time employer, plus the associated trade discount :cry:) closed a few months ago and I’m in hudds a fair bit so that’s a bit of a win!

downhilldave

Don’t think they have one in at the Mo,but if you give me a shout I will bring mine over for you to try. 8)

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I’m thinking of Zesty 727AM but thinking I might try small rather than medium. There a lot longer reach than SC. Any view on rear triangle width, seen a few comments on pre production models was too wide?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘SC Bronson Help/Advice’ is closed to new replies.