Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • economical car that is nice to drive
  • jools182
    Free Member

I’ve got an MX5 at the moment, which is getting between 30-35 mpg

I’ve moved a bit further away from work and I’m already skint, so I’m looking to get something that gets more mpg but isn’t bobbins

Any suggestions?

I was thinking some larger engines are more fuel efficient than mine, and hopefully more torquey. That may work out better for the hills around here in the peak, but I’m also thinking smaller engine – less road tax

sbob
    Free Member

Lotus Elise
    Caterham/Westfield
    Motorbike

Northwind

Depends on your idea of “nice to drive” really. Mondeo ST diesel will do you 60mpg on an a-road waft, and is great fun to chuck about- not at all a sports car, it’s more like throwing a brick than a dart but that’s good too. But if you like the MX5 I guess you like small and nimble rather than blunt instrument.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

efficient diesel?
    Whats your budget and whats the MX5 worth? should be easy to get 50mpg minimum really most modern cars are fine to drive but won’t drive like the MX5.

jools182
    Free Member

I know I’m not going to get MX5 levels of handling, but I just don’t want to end up with a lifeless, dull box, corsa etc

banks
    Free Member

A3 TDI ??

MoreCashThanDash

Skoda Fabia 1.2 tsi.
    Not an MX5 but nippy enough with 105hp, if I beat the rush hour my 12
    mile commute into Nottingham sees more than 50mpg, otherwise mid 40s

freddyg
    Free Member

3 series diesel?

sbob
    Free Member

banks – Member

A3 TDI ??

He said nice to drive.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’m thinking of picking up a new car this summer with a similar remit: reasonably quick but not silly on fuel. There was a PCP deal kicking around at Christmas for a 2014 BMW 330d Touring for about £300 a month (6 + 23). That was including VAT.

0-60 in 5.6 seconds and 40-50mpg. What’s not to like 🙂

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Diesel BMW of whatever size you fancy.

sbob
    Free Member

smaller engine – less road tax

Larger older engine – less tax.
    Larger newer engine in an old car – less tax.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

0-60 in 5.6 seconds and 40-50mpg. What’s not to like

a fairly pathetic MPG? 50- would be a better one 🙂 and paying £300 a month for it.

sbob
    Free Member

What’s not to like? 🙂

Spending £300 per month on a car you don’t own?

I had an M5 that was cheaper than that, all costs included.

jam-bo

sbob – Member

banks – Member
    A3 TDI ??

He said nice to drive.[/quote]

A3 Quattro Sport TDI.

runs rings round any Mx5 I encounter on the moors…

peterfile
    Free Member

Spending £300 per month on a car you don’t own?

Is there a more cost effective way to own a new 330d for 2 years? Genuine question, I’m interested in the car.

My car allowance is paid monthly and more than covers that after tax, which is why it’s appealing. my merc is getting long in the tooth and between the repair bills, huge tax and poor mpg, £300 a month wouldn’t really be a huge jump up in cost.

sbob
    Free Member

runs rings round any Mx5 I encounter on the moors

Faster, yes.
    Nicer to drive, no.

sbob
    Free Member

peterfile – Member

Is there a more cost effective way to own a new 330d for 2 years?

Probably not, but then I will almost certainly never waste money on a brand new car.
    Why bother when you can get a car that is faster (if that’s important) for less money?
    Your new 330d won’t be new after two years. 💡

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve never owned a new car either, but genuinely curious as to what sort of car could I get for less than £300 per month? Presumably I’d need a decent aftermarket warranty for a couple of years too? I’m not up for running the risk of big repair bills.

iolo
    Free Member

A1 TDI 2.0

I love mine. Great fun to drive.

sbob
    Free Member

peterfile – Member

I’ve never owned a new car either, but genuinely curious as to what sort of car could I get for less than £300 per month?

A secondhand M5. 😀

I’m not up for running the risk of big repair bills.

A push bike. 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is there a more cost effective way to own a new 330d for 2 years? Genuine question, I’m interested in the car.

Probably not but as the OP started with this I reckon h[/quote]‘s not planning on dropping £300 a month to get 10mpg

I’ve got an MX5 at the moment, which is getting between 30-35 mpg

I’ve moved a bit further away from work and I’m already skint, so I’m looking to get something that gets more mpg but isn’t bobbins

Any suggestions?

peterfile
    Free Member

A secondhand M5.

Ha ha 🙂 I did toy with the idea of picking up something old and quick for about £6k (350z, Boxter etc) and then just using something cheap and frugal for the commute, but the dual set of costs just didn’t stack up.

I’m generally of the same mindset as you, but i’ve just worked out what it’s cost to run my current car (which I bought at 84k miles for cash) for the last couple of years and it really wouldn’t be a big leap to get something nicer, more efficient and more fun on PCP.

I’d definitely consider picking up something else used, but I’m preferring to view the car as an cost at the moment, I wouldn’t want £10-£15k of cash tied up in a car, there’s more useful/necessary places I want that money to go.

Probably not but as the OP started with this I reckon h’s not planning on dropping £300 a month to get 10mpg

doh, missed that bit!

jam-bo

Faster, yes.
    Nicer to drive, no

i’ve driven both and know which I prefer. Have you or did you just read it in a magazine? 😉

sbob
    Free Member

jam bo – Member

i’ve driven both and know which I prefer.

At least we’ve established the value of your opinion. 😛

Have you or did you just read it in a magazine?

I’ve owned both and don’t read magazines. 😉

shem
    Free Member

I drive 400-600 miles a week of twisty roads and have an 06 plate ford focus 2.0TDCI. Goes really well, very nippy at 136hp and with loads of torque and gets me in the worst case scenario 40mpg and if I drive careful 55mpg. Plenty of room for a bike in the back without taking a wheel off, even with my 29er mtb.

Great car 😀

jools182
    Free Member

What are the thoughts on diesels and milage?

I’ve seen things mentioned about diesels becoming a pain if they do short trips

mikewsmith
    Free Member

jools182 – Member

Some people have some problems with some modern diesels that have a DPF.
    Depending on how much your spending you could well be looking at earlier than that anyway. The 1.9 TDI that was in the ocatvia we had (04) was solid and dependable, it would only go below 50mpg if you really really tried. Very little needed above filters and oil in 6 years. Sold in 02 for 2.5-3k I think.
    Not bad to drive but not a zippy sports car, plus side is it’s cheap to run and fits bikes.

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol.. he said he’s skint, and wants to save money, and you recommend a NEW 330d.

This is getting ridiculous!

Re diesel and short trips:

– only a problem if you ONLY do short trips and
    – if there is a fault with the engine producing a lot of smoke, you won’t see it but your filter will clog up even if you do longer trips. People seem to assume the filter has ‘failed’ and replace it, only for it to clog again…

Northwind

jools182 – Member

it could be a consideration, but, if you’re buying an older car (which I kinda assume you are) then it’s less so as dpfs were less common. It wouldn’t totally put me off personally but I do like that mine was built back when they remembered a car is supposed to do the job you tell it to, it’s not supposed to give its owner a list of demands and conditions 😉

jonahtonto
    Free Member

£300 a month? do people seriously pay that for a vehicle? my sprinter cost me £400 five years ago and is only now looking to be replaced. ill probably get £250 for it when i scrap it in at the end of the month. i honestly dont understand how you could justify £300 a month. can someone explain please? is it just a status thing? i get it that im not fussed about that side of things, but seriously? is that what status vehicles cost?

molgrips
    Free Member

it’s not supposed to give its owner a list of demands and conditions

They did though. Service this, service that…

dont understand how you could justify £300 a month

Depends how much money you have, doesn’t it?

And it’s not really about status for most people. Nice cars are actually nice to drive around in.

tron
    Free Member

Work out what you’d be saving. Even doing something like 350-400 miles a week, and upping MPG from 30 to 40mpg on petrol would only save 20-25 quid a week. You could wipe that out easily by paying more for a car that’s cheaper to run.

user-removed
    Free Member

I get 39.8 mpg from my 2.5L TD Megane. Wish I’d bought something interesting, fast and Subaru flavoured.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

tron – Member
    Work out what you’d be saving. Even doing something like 350-400 miles a week, and upping MPG from 30 to 40mpg on petrol would only save 20-25 quid a week. You could wipe that out easily by paying more for a car that’s cheaper to run.

400 miles at 30 mpg (petrol) is about £80 in fuel
    400 miles at 40 mpg (petrol) is about £60 in fuel
    400 miles at 50 mpg (diesel) is about £50 in fuel

So if you trade in the Mx5 for something that can average a minimum of 50mpg then your about £30 up so about £120 a month, which is a decent saving – nearly £1500 a year. Just look for something that is mechanically sound and not stupid on the insurance. Wait till you have spare cash for something fun!

If you can turn the MX5 into a decent amount of cash and maybe add a little to it you should be quids in.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Don’t Audi do a diesel TT?

Marge
    Free Member

Latest 3 series feels a bit more Mercedes than ever…. (Long way from mx5 fun)

1 series remains good fun with the lovely RWD feel; even with the 2 litre diesel.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just got a new 320d and an ex MX5 owner. They are worlds apart. One is a luxury car, the other is a nimble sports car.

Having said that if you do press on in the BM it does handle incredibly well and you do actually feel that the rears are doing the driving, but you have to go silly speeds before you get those feelings.

Elise.

br
    Free Member

A 330d and £300 per month sounds cheap to me, too cheap – mileage restrictions etc?

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve just checked b r, the offer has finished now. It was a decent spec, with a 10k a year limit, but apparently people had opted for higher limits without too much extra cost. There were also quite a few people who had their cars delayed, so presumably the uptake was higher than expected. 6 x 23.

I found a fully maintained one the other day, 6 x 23 for £370 with 15k. But can’t bloody find it now!

Still sorely tempted to pick up something small, cheap and economical for work, then buy an old Boxster, 911, 350z, 944, MX5 etc for the weekends. But the figures just don’t add up compared to running one 330d or similar. Plus i’m not sure i’m up for the inevitable headaches of running an older expensive car.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘economical car that is nice to drive’ is closed to new replies.