Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Say what now?
  • crikey
    Free Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52165167

If you were a teacher, and the Chief Teacher in England said this, would you go to work tomorrow?

You’re doing a great job, but some of you gonna die…
    The Chief Nurse and the head of the RCN, neither of whom will be darkening the door of any hospital during this really need to sit down and have a think about how this looks to us, to our families, to our friends… We’ve sent a letter (hopefully by First Class mail…) to Boris to ask him if it’s ok, and he’s not too busy to perhaps have a look at sorting this out…

I don’t want a medal, I don’t want a bonus, I don’t want clapping at 8 o’clock, I want to carry on being alive, if that’s ok with everyone.

It is my fervent hope that after all this is done, there will be a reckoning, and these people will be held to account for this shit.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not sure that you are reading this as it was intended.

Saying it’s inevitable doesn’t mean the same thing as acceptable or desirable. It looks to me like a veiled criticism of the government e.g. NHS underfunding is killing nurses.

Drac

People have forgotten that when you are a nurse… you are working with patients who are actually up close and personal.

I think you’ve forgotten that.

I fear we will loose many more NHS workers but I’ll continue to go to work.

crikey
    Free Member

I get the message, I see exactly what they’re doing, but the headline says it all. This is a passive-aggressive not-really-a-criticism, criticism of the the way things are working out. This is playing the game, toeing the line, being a good little soldier.

But my mum has read the headline…my kids have read the headline…my mates have read the headline.

It’s saying ‘But they might die’ which is all well and good as long as it’s not you.

Hence the question; if your highest representative said this, would you be off to work tomorrow?

Drac

I get the message, I see exactly what they’re doing, but the headline says it all

Yeah that’s a click bait headline.

crikey
    Free Member

One of the things the Health service will have to cope with after this is a large exodus of people who owe the NHS and the country nothing more.

bearnecessities

Cashiers at Aldi that are physically unable to stay 2m from people will probably feel similar.

I honestly didn’t see anything wrong with the messaging in article as an outsider, but you health workers must be stressed off your tits right now.

crikey
    Free Member

I’m not stressed, I’m angry.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/04/tories-protect-nhs-coronavirus-slogan

The Chief Nurse and the RCN are playing along instead of standing there and making the points in that article, and they will continue to do so, they will carry on playing the Establishment game while I do the work.

Disgraceful.

theboatman
    Free Member

I’m scared every day I go to work, and it’s why I currently don’t live in the same house as my youngest daughter. Colleagues have got it, home carers and care home staff are also dying of it. Transport workers are, I expect shop workers will/ are, in fact workers from more jobs I can think of will die from it due to being at work. I can’t really think the statement is off really. Take care of yourself fella.

crikey
    Free Member

Thank you, I appreciate that thought.

I just wanted to stamp my feet and shout a bit really.

🙂

Pyro

I think you’re entitled to do that Crikey.

sockpuppet

What would you rather they said?

Would you rather that they pretended that none will die?

Drac

Indeed he is.

crikey
    Free Member

It’s not about pretending, I recognise and accept the risk, it’s more about the presentation and the way that the people who should be demonstrating leadership and support have opted for an almost childlike sound bite approach in an attempt to address the issue.

Morale is a precious thing, a bit like Ray Mears blowing on a little spark to create a fire. Having our ‘leaders’ say that some deaths are inevitable? Have a bloody word…

molgrips
    Free Member

Fair point about the message.

But at the same time it’s a fact. I can see the reasoning, but you are right it’s not diplomatic.

crikey
    Free Member

It’s not unrealistic or over the top, but right now it’s not the right message to be broadcasting from the positions those people are in.

We need Aragorn at the Black Gate, not Mrs Doom and Gloom.

…and my mum doesn’t need to read that.

amodicumofgnar

You’re right to be hacked off about the message. Problem is, I think, they’re speaking to those of us in the masses to get us to a point. Trouble is you guys putting it out there each and every day for us also see what is being said. I’m hoping they are more appreciative in the things they say that we don’t see.

Anyway – thanks.

crikey
    Free Member

I and the people I work with are really, properly, not-just-saying-it grateful for the thanks and the appreciation we are getting to the point where we hide what we do because we get embarrassed by the attention.

Thank you.

Woody
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with blowing off a bit of steam Crikey and totally understandable.

Having woken at 0645 today, the first thing I read was reportedly from an anonymous doctor in The Midlands with a pic of staff using bin bags as PPE. I really thought initially it was an old bad taste April 1st joke.

Next thing was an email from Covid19recruitment following on from emails I received yesterday which made it sound like the delay was due to info I had forgotten to provide……

Please accept our sincere apologies for the two communications you received earlier today with regards to your video call availability and the submission of your ID documents.

We have received your application and will be in touch in a few days to provide you with information on how to access the system used for pre-employment checks, at which point you will be able to provide all the relevant documents. Please be assured that there is no action required at the moment, but we will email you in a few days to confirm the next steps.

I appreciate that there are staff shortages etc. but this has been over 2 weeks since the start of the process and when I explain to my Wife (asthmatic and doesn’t want me to go back anyway) that I had followed the process properly and there will be more delays, she will be even less impressed. It really doesn’t inspire confidence at any level.

tjagain

The RCN has always been a huge issue in nursing. Far too deferential and unwilling to critise those in power. All nurses should be in unison and let the RCN disappear up its own fundament

epicyclo

crikey
    …You’re doing a great job, but some of you gonna die……

It’s all very resonant of WW1.

The lions are being led by donkeys.

It’s basically tell them they’re stout chaps and then send them over the top into the machine guns.

The Establishment thinks a bit of praise is suitable compensation for a horrible death.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Say what now?’ is closed to new replies.