Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Save me from buying new wheels
  • roverpig

So, I’m building up an FF29 for general fun and also to use on the upcoming Corrieyairack challenge, which is a mix of road and off road sections. You are allowed to switch wheels (or just tyres) before the 38 mile road section, which seems like an eminently sensibly idea, but I only have one set of 29er wheels. Actually I have no sets at the moment, due to a problem with delivery of my Hope/Arch 29er hoops, which CRC seem to be taking an age to sort. But that’s a different story.

So, what to do? Buying a new set of wheels for one event would be crazy even for me. Buying a second hand set then flogging them afterwards would be fine, but I’d need to find a 20mm front and QR rear, which isn’t too common.

Alternatively I could just ride the road section on 26″ wheels. I have a set of 26″ Hope hoops and some 26″ slick tyres. It looks as though the BB height would drop to around 12″, which is low but probably manageable for a one off ride.

Finally, for the cost of some spokes and a lot of faffing around I could take the 26″ Flow rims off my 26″ Hope hoops and stick on some Open Pro rims (that I have laying around), then run those with proper road tyres.

Or, is there some other option I haven’t considered?

shortcut

Borrow some off a mate. You won’t break them on the road.

Cheezpleez

If it was me, I’d buy some 29er slicks and swap them over

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

How about some fast rolling mtb tyres? how mucky will it be off-road?

slowjo
    Free Member

Ralphs should do you nicely I’d have thought.

roverpig

AS it happens I’m going to be putting Ralphs on this build anyway. are you suggesting that I just pump them up a bit at the changeover? Sounds simple enough, but wouldn’t they still be a lot slower than slicks? Not that I’m aiming to be competitive. Just a bit of fun. But it will be a lot more fun if I don’t have to suffer so much on the road section 🙂

I don’t think I know anybody with 20mm axle 29er wheels, but I’ll ask about.

Changing tyres sounds like a bit of a faff, but I guess if I went with tubes rather than tubeless it wouldn’t take that long and I may well appreciate the excuse for a bit of a sit down at the changeover. As long as it’s not pissing down of course.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

but wouldn’t they still be a lot slower than slicks? Not that I’m aiming to be competitive. Just a bit of fun. But it will be a lot more fun if I don’t have to suffer so much on the road section

Changing tyres sounds like a bit of a faff, but I guess if I went with tubes rather than tubeless it wouldn’t take that long and I may well appreciate the excuse for a bit of a sit down at the changeover

It’ll be more fun riding bike, pump em right up, I can fair bomb along on Racing ralphs especially on my 29er, time yourself

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Save me from buying new wheels’ is closed to new replies.