Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 292 total)
  • Sauce: It's time we had rules
  • DrRSwank
    Free Member

I’m not sure if I could Binners. It sounds TOO wrong.

But then I had to be convinced that Marmite and Crunchy Peanut Butter work on toast (and they do).

I’ll get drunk and try……

user-removed
    Free Member

It may have been said already – I’m not about to trawl through four pages of sauce angst, but…..

If I have a bacon roll, I want it to taste of bacon.
    If I have a steak, I want it to taste of steak. Etc, etc.

Sauces are plain wrong on anything. All of them.

chvck
    Free Member

binners – I’m going to have to go try that now, I think I may have to not like you after this!

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

yeti – butter? on bacon?. If I hadnt already decided to stop stalking you, that would have been the final straw.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

mitch it’s butter on the bread that houses the bacon. The bacon melts the butter, mmmmmm.

I’m actually with user-removed on the whole sauce issue. Hardly ever eat the stuff.
    Nice bacon doesn’t need it.
    Nice sausages don’t need it.
    A good steak is deserving of a proper sauce that’s been made with wine/brandy/cream/peppercorns and such like.

If you go to the chippy you should order gravy.

Guess I’m just posh ennit.

Torminalis
    Free Member

You are all perverts.

molgrips
    Free Member

User-removed – if you have flour, do you want it to taste of flour? Or would you add eggs, sugar and fat to make cake?

If you had tomatoes, would you just want to eat tomatoes or would you roast them up with garlic and herbs to make a delicious pasta sauce?

The ingredients of a bacon sandwich are bread, butter, bacon and tomato ketchup. If you don’t have ketchup then you haven’t made a bacon sandwich properly.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

molgrips – if you have ketchup red sauce you haven’t bought the right bacon!

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Well corrected.

(it’s red sauce!).

Cougar

I’m not directing this at anyone particularly other than my own prejudices, but whenever I hear “red sauce” my gut reaction is to think “ah, you’re either prepubescent or intellectually challenged”(*)

I have the same reaction everytime I hear “bokkle” (as in ‘milk bokkle’) – my dad does this and it’s a wonder I haven’t stabbed him for it yet.

(* – only in slightly less politically correct terms)

DrRSwank
    Free Member

prepubescent or intellectually challenged

I could be either…..

It’s a northern thing. OK, so if you want tomato people usually ask for ketchup, but if you want, er, the other, you ask for Brown sauce.

So why is it right to call one by it’s colour and one by it’s form?

molgrips
    Free Member

Because tomato ketchup is based on tomatoes, and brown sauce has a ton of other things in it making it hard to nominate a main ingredient.

Plus, and this is the really clever bit – tomato ketchup comes in bottles labelled “Tomato Ketchup” and brown sauce comes in bottles labelled “Brown Sauce”.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

molgrips you are officially no longer the forum idiot!

DrRSwank
    Free Member

A jar of HP hardly has Brown Sauce written in massive letters on the label. It is on there (I checked) but in tiny writing on the side).

Anyway – everyone who thinks Fish Fingers don’t belong with Brown (HP) is STILL wrong.

brick
    Free Member

Vinegar on Pie Mash n’ Liquor. Its the law.

unklebuck
    Free Member

Bacon and egg sarnie has red OR brown sauce. Both? Are you clinically insane. Nothing supports both except a burger. Which generally copes with a multiple sauce approach far better than the butty.

I repeat yesterdays assertion that fish finger butties must have red sauce and a cheese single. The cheese single must be of the lowest quality available. The sort that is labelled ‘may contain cheese’

Not as insane as someone who puts fish together with cheese, no matter how fake that cheese is! 😯

Cougar

It’s a northern thing.

It’s patently not. Some parts of the north known for ovine sodomy, perhaps.

So why is it right to call one by it’s colour and one by it’s form?

Good point. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m just off to get a glass of orange juice.

Cougar

Vinegar on Pie Mash n’ Liquor.

What the bloody hell is ‘liquor’ in this context? You’re not seriously telling me you put Jack Daniel’s on mash are you?!

(aaaactually…. )

IanB
    Free Member

How can Worcester Sauce not be sauce? It’s got sauce in the name!

And I keep it in the spices cupboard next to the salt, pepper and vinegar for putting out on the table to have on chips, cheese on toast, in beans, stews or whatever.

I think Mr Lee and Mr Perrins would take issue with your reclassification of their product not being sauce.

brick
    Free Member

Liquor being parsley sauce.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Didn’t they start making Worcester Table Sauce?

Cougar

Parsley sauce?

You have a sauce that’s green and tastes of nothing?

Cougar

Ah, it’s béchamel with bits in. As you were.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Hmmmm,

I didn’t really want to get into hot sauces. I was more aiming at the “it’s in the fridge/cupboard” variety.

Worcester Sauce isn’t a sauce :shakes head: You add a dash to your spag bol, or cottage pie. It’s an ingredient.

As said – I’ve written to Lee & Perrins asking them to rename.

brick
    Free Member

Its an East End thing.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have the same reaction everytime I hear “bokkle” (as in ‘milk bokkle’) – my dad does this and it’s a wonder I haven’t stabbed him for it yet.

Along similar lines, there’s a guy at work, must be in his 30s who says V instead of TH. It drives me up the bloody wall!

Cougar

Is he Transilvanian?

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Along similar lines, there’s a guy at work, must be in his 30s who says V instead of TH. It drives me up the Ve bloody wall!

There fixed it for you

ononeorange

Whatever it’s called, Brown / HP Sauce is still the devil’s poo.

Fish finger sarnie – got to be a mix of red / tomato / ketchup and mayonnaise. Yum.

Cougar

Fish finger sarnie – got to be a mix of red / tomato / ketchup and mayonnaise

My Euphamism-o-meter just exploded.

greyman
    Free Member

what other kinds of ketchup are there then ?

surely the word tomato is unnecessary

it’s “ketchup”

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Mushroom. You can have mushroom ketchup. Tastes like cat spew though…

ononeorange

Cougar – mine did too earlier when someone was on about their OH preferring red to brown.

I’ll get my coat now, i think….

Cougar

you can get mushroom ketchup, I believe.

yunki
    Free Member

chips and mayo a la the Dutch
    tommy ketch on bacon butties.. (although I prefer a nice avacado puree these days)
    tommy ketch on fishfinger sarnies

anything else is just people trying to display more working class integrity than they actually possess..

molgrips
    Free Member

Along similar lines, there’s a guy at work, must be in his 30s who says V instead of TH. It drives me up the Ve bloody wall!
    There fixed it for you

GNAAARGH!

DezB
    Free Member

you can get mushroom ketchup, I believe.

That sounds like possible THE worst thing ever invented. Ever. In fact, I refuse to believe it exists.

user-removed
    Free Member

Yuk yuk yuk. Why coat tasty food with a vile sugar and vinegar mix? Molgrips – I don’t classify flour as tasty food, so yes of course I would add to it. But I wouldn’t add ketchup.

mogrim

There’s little that mayo can’t improve. Brown bread, rocket, bacon, mayo, maybe a little tomato. Perfect sandwich for a gentleman.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Fish finger sarnie – got to be a mix of red / tomato / ketchup and mayonnaise. Yum.

I was just about to post the same.
    To successfully eat fish fingers, you first have to pour a dollop of tomato ketchup then and equal dollop of salad cream (no pretentious mayo here), then thoroughly mix them together in much the same way as you would epoxy resin. Then dunk your fish fingers in, and savour.
    I don’t think I’ve had fish fingers in the last 20-30 years though, so fish finger technology may have moved on a bit

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 292 total)

The topic ‘Sauce: It's time we had rules’ is closed to new replies.