Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • santa is bringing boy an xbox, but what games for me?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

250gb xbox ordered for the boy, but what can i play… anyone?

i’m really not into vid games, totally lack the patience to learn how to play them, if i do play one i like a bit of driving/racing and the tony hawk skate stuff (the older ones though where i can get the cheats to open up the whole game, not really into the proving ground one).

anything out there that i’d like?

spudly1979
    Free Member

You’ve not mentioned you like shooters, but let’s be honest, you need to buy halo 4 and call of duty black ops 2. Both are sheer genius but painfully addictive!

br
    Free Member

Sniper Elite – not your usual fire/die fest

Also organise XBox Live (may need the wireless addition).

bwaarp
    Free Member

Battlefield 3 = waiii better than Black Ops II

Slogo
    Free Member

Black ops is shit! Modern warfare is a lot better!

hammerite
    Free Member

I can’t get into CoD but agree with Sniper Elite, less run about shooting anything that moves and a bit more thought and tactics.

Forza is pretty good. I like FIFA, but only good if you’re into football.

I also have Tour de France 2012, not a great game but good if you like road cycling.

Haze

Dead Space (1 or 2) can probably be picked up pretty cheaply?

A bit like Resident Evil but in space.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I dunno but STW used to be more interesting throwing connect 4 chips all over the place

patriotpro
    Free Member

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/08/27/the-top-25-xbox-360-games-3

^^^Grab yourself a drink and take 15-20 minutes to go thru^^^

flyingmonkeycorps

I’m not dead into games, and I get bored really easily. The games that I have played to completion on my 360 are: Fable 2 and Assassin’s Creed 2.

So those.

hammerite
    Free Member

Are you getting your boy xbox live? Set ours up registered in our boys name with me keeping parental controls. But it’s meant that we can’t use netflix, lovefilm or last.fm as the account is registered to an u18.

There might be a workaround that I’m not aware of. But if there isn’t and you want to use these things it might be worth setting the account up as an over 18. Downside is I don’t think you’ll be able to keep parental control of things your lad can do on it.

shindiggy
    Free Member

COD4, Cod MW and MW2, avoid the treyach COD series.

Forza series

Bioshock series

patriotpro
    Free Member

The box comes with a free months worth of Gold membership.

l45key
    Free Member

I’m doing the same, looking for games for myself as the boy is getting one for crimbo.

I’ve just bought a few pre owned ones from blockbuster online, 4 for £20!

Ive bought Halo3, project gotham racing, need for speed; hot pursuit and hawx 2. also got fifa 11 for the boy for a fiver as well.

Worth a look, at 5 quid a pop cant go wrong.

hammerite
    Free Member

Worth looking at shopto.net usually new games keenly priced and I’ve been getting e-mails from zavvi with weekly offers on some games which look pretty good.

Northwind

Do you like Batman punching the crap out of people? If so, consider getting Arkham City: It’s Just Batman Punching The Crap Out Of People.

spudly1979
    Free Member

Agreed, battlefield 3 is also very good but I found it much harder to get into than COD and it only works if you have a squad to play with regularly.

Oh and forgot Fallout 3, and the sequel, new vegas. Both very very good, bit more to them both than COD.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

BF3 and Forza Horizon – bf3 for online – wear a mic and use it properly and you will meet people who want to squad up and win games very quickly but who wont necessarily wear a mic without bumping into people who do.

Forza Horizon for offline gameplay – best driving game i’ve ever played and seriously addictive! And stunning graphically!

Cougar

Driving, Forza Horizon.

Tony Hawk, SSX.

Random recommendation, Red Dead Redemption.

Games you’ll want to play with your kid, any of the Lego games. Seriously, trust me.

flipiddy
    Free Member

Patriotpro’s list is a good guide. From those games I would suggest you try:

Forza – because everyone I know raves about it being an addictive and gorgeous driving game
    Alan wake – it has a deep, twisting and dark plot, with some lovely graphics and good pacing. If you ever liked twin peaks you’ll love this.
    Portal2 – a thinking man’s first person game. Great graphics, brilliant humour and massively satisfying gameplay. It’s an absolute must.
    Lego games for coop – as above.

If you aren’t a seasoned gamer I wouldn’t bother going for halo, bf3, gears of war. Not because they aren’t amazing games – they are. It’s just that they are challenging, not very deep and if you play online you will likely be beaten endlessly by kids that are much, much better than you (do I sound bitter?)

There are sooo many more games worth playing once you have done these. Have fun!

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

P.S. when you give your kid the xbox (you’re a great santa btw :)) Make him sign a document saying that he will not moan or repeatedly pester you about buying him an xbox 720 or ps4… because they might be out next year, maybe only 5 or 6 months after christmas… and thus 360’s will no longer be “the thing” to have. *Sigh* Ill continue playing mine anyway until the 720 is old and cheap lol.

Taff
    Free Member

Call of Duty.

An I the only one reading his thinking when I was young I had an ornate and chocolate coins?!?!

MrsToast
    Free Member

Split/Second and Blur are both good racing games if you fancy something a bit more unconventional (futuristic racing with weapons), GRID is highly rated, and if you want a Mario Kart style game that’s kid friendly, to play with t’boy, F1 Stars has just come out

passtherizla
    Free Member

I’d suggest any of the ‘skate’ games but from the description you gave about Tony Hawks, you might not get your head around the control method… its not a button basher the sticks do most of the work, like ollieing and turning and flipping. dead good though.

I only have one for Skate, Street fighter and COD though.

Taff… I have some friends who are on about spending about £800 this xmas…. wait for it…. on their 2 year old!!!!! I have bought my 18 month a aqua doodle and a aquanaughts play set £35 all in.

eruptron
    Free Member

I only do on line play keep buying other games but it’s COD everytime for me. Don’t get Halo at all you just seem to lumber around and bounce up and down but like I say I don’t bother with campaigns. I did think assassins creed was pretty good though.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

cheers for all the advice.

not really into shoot em things, tried call of duty on a nintendo portable thing and got really bored before i’d even left bootcamp.

think driving games for me may be the thing, the box comes with forza.

ontor
    Free Member
    Cougar

Portal2 – a thinking man’s first person game.

Get Portal 1 first – “Still Alive” is downloadable from Xbox Live, which has bonus levels.

_tom_
    Free Member

Portal/Portal 2 are worth getting. Really fun games. PGR is a good driving game I reckon, one of the few games I’ve actually enjoyed enough to try and get all the achievements on!

Oh and Hitman Blood Money is awesome.

MrsToast
    Free Member

If you want some old school Golden Axe-style gameplay with Monty Python silliness, get Castle Crashers off Xbox Live, it’s ace.

lungman

If you get black ops in dec you’ll find that every one online has been playing it for 1 month and will kick your ass repeatedly most annoying. I’ve got that problem now :-). +1 for dishonoured

br
    Free Member

An I the only one reading his thinking when I was young I had an ornate and chocolate coins?!?!

Its not for his son… 😉

Euro
    Free Member

Another vote for Portal. One of the very best. Get the Orange Box (Halflife 2 and Portal bundle) and you’ll not go far wrong. Portal 2 is better still. Some great Arcade games too (downloaded from xbox live for a few pounds). Trials HD and Limbo are well worth the money.

eruptron – Member

I only do on line play keep buying other games but it’s COD everytime for me. Don’t get Halo at all you just seem to lumber around and bounce up and down but like I say I don’t bother with campaigns.

If you’ve played a bit of COD then the ‘floaty’ nature of Halo takes a bit of getting used to. I went Halo 4 instead of BO2 this time (no point getting both imo – just means you’ll be crap at both). Halo is much more of a challenge for online play and you can make the campaign the hardest game ever if you really want too.

sausagefingers
    Free Member

nobody mentioned xcom yet?

spent months on the original and thought this new jobbie would be a right load of gash but it’s fantastic.
    no running about shooty/stabby fashion,it’s much more sedate than that,but still very tense – focusing more about strategy and planning.i haven’t turned my machine on for at least 12 months but this has got me hooked,can’t wait to give the multiplayer a go – superb

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Trials HD and Trials Evolution. Both only available to download from the marketplace.

For shooters, battlefield 3

_tom_
    Free Member

Completely forgot about Trials HD. Such a fun/addictive game. Also infuriating though! I had a quick go on the new Assassins Creed yesterday and that seemed like a lot of fun.

Personally I don’t get Halo at all, such an overrated series.

Cougar

If we’re looking at XBLA, and you like Limbo, dig out Braid. Sublime little platformer / puzzler, very very good indeed.

gnusmas

Trials HD, Limbo and Splosion Man can be bought on a disc as a 3 in 1 game – got it sitting in the games pile now 🙂 Might be good as an additional gift as it is a game to open not just a download.

Definitely Trials HD, Trials Evolution and personally i would go for Gears of War (3 is the best). Built in games like Horde and Team Deathmatch are good mad shoot em ups (don’t need much strategy for these) but the game is brilliant.

Also agree with Portal and Portal 2. My kids like a game called de Blob 2, quite an easy game to play. My 4 year old has mastered it quite easily but my 9 year old loves it also.

Don’t forget about Angry Birds Trilogy.

tpbiker
    Free Member

this thread made me chuckle. I can just see you on christmas day packing him off to bed early so you can take over 🙂

oh…and pick up a cheap copy of fight night 4…awsome game if you are remotely into boxing.

hammerite
    Free Member

It’s what I do tpbiker, have to send the OH to bed too though.

Games for your boy… minecraft. Looks crap but all the kids like it for some reason.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘santa is bringing boy an xbox, but what games for me?’ is closed to new replies.