• This topic has 22 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by jsync.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Santa Cruz 5010 Real World Reviews
  • snapperdan
    Free Member

I’m currently the proud owner of a Whyte 909. It’s a fantastic hardtail, but my heart has always yearned for a bouncy 5010 (just never had the money for one) and now I’ve got enough cash to buy a frame and swap all my bits over.

I just wondered how many 5010 owners there are on here and what they think of the bike? The reviews seem to be very glowing and it sounds like it can handle really technical terrain, but it’s still fun on tamer trails too.

I’m more on the DH/Enduro than XC side of things, but I’ve always ridden an agressive hardtail (which I’ve taken down black DH runs), so I don’t think I’ll need as much travel as a Bronson.

Does anyone on here run a longer than 130mm fork?

Has anyone tried plus sized tyres on their 5010? I only ask because the wheelset on my 909 has 2.8 tyres at the moment….

tomhoward

I’ve had a V1 since March 14, Its pretty perfect as a trail bike. I run 140mm Pike on mine, but know a fair few people who happily run 150mm.

Not sure you’ll get a 2.8 tyre in the back though.

Gilles

well i like mine – I’m now on Mark II but obvioulsy I want the new one now. It has more travel so that could be just perfect for you. I’m not really a DH person so I’m not pushing mine enough to comment on its capacity for hardcore descent. I will demo one though as I’m riding a size M despite the demo person telling me to go L.

facian
    Free Member

I have a 2017/18 Aluminium version, so not the brand new one.

It’s bloody excellent! I’m not the most accomplished rider technically so it probably gets a bit of a battering on the rougher stuff (spent a week in the Alps earlier this year, 45,000ft of descent in 4 days riding) and it was faultless other the rear brake bolts rattling loose!

I use it for everything from long tame rides (South Downs Way for example) to Surrey Hills and the Alps and it’s never felt out of its depth or caused me a single problem. I’ve recently switched to a 150mm Fox 34 instead of the 130mm Yari and it’s even better on the rough stuff, I haven’t felt any need to move to something with more rear travel though.

Tyre-wise the new model will take a 2.8″ I believe, the previous generation only 2.5″ on the back and to be honest with a beefy 2.4″ on the back I wouldn’t want to have any less room around it when it gets muddy.

The only ‘problem’ with it to be honest, is that the Bronson is just as good as a trail bike and gives you that bit more of a safety net on the rougher stuff without any real disadvantage other than about a 500g weight penalty. My friend outclimbs me all day long on his Bronson though, the legs are the deciding factor!

tails
    Free Member

Would love to hear how you get on as I’m in the same position of using the 909 as a donor bike for a 5010. I’m riding a medium 909 but think a large 5010 is more suitable. You going alu or carbon?

simonbowns
    Free Member

I’ve had 3 over the years (Mk 1 an 2) – plus had a quick pedal on a Mk3. Geo wise it’s similar enough to a Bronson to be plenty capable on descents/rougher stuff – but a but more poppy and fun on climbs and the level.

We (18 Bikes) have just got a Large 5010 demo bike, if you’re anywhere near us? We’ve got 2.8″ wheels on our Bronson and can swap those across too.

dogbone

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Rg6pwq]IMG_3293[/url] by 100%of thetime60%ofthetime, on Flickr

I got mine last week in the Black Friday Sale. Love. It.

Previous bikes ; Jeffsy 29. Yeti 5. Cotic Soul.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I will have had a v1 CC for 4 years this coming January, running a 140mm fork, a -2 degree angle headset (65 head angle confirmed) with normal 2.3 rubber, DVO topaz rear shock.

It’s been to all the usual places; Glentress, Innerleithen DH runs, BPW several times, Wharncliffe, Peak district at least once a month, snowdon 4 times, cadair idris etc

It’s a hilarious bike, very angile due to the low BB and quite short stays, very light and nimble, it’s stable enough at speed with the 65 slackset, yes it only has 140/127mm travel so more would be fun when the going gets rough, but that limitation is what makes the bike special, it accelerates really quickly and wants to pump and gain speed off every little roller.

I keep looking at other bikes to replace it but there’s no point, anything with more travel or more aggressive/stable/longer geo would diminish it’s advantages.

If you’re the sort of rider that wants to pop off most of the trail features, and wants one bike that they can use for an all round bike then I think it’s great. however if you want an out and out enduro race bike then you may be better with a Bronson or something with 29″ wheels.

snapperdan
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies – I’m going for an Alu frame can’t stretch to a CC. The shop I’m buying it from will swap out all the gear on my 909 for free, which is a great deal IMO.

Size wise I’m going for a large had a sit on one in Leisure Lakes earlier and it felt right – medium would be too small. I’m on the border of the sizes, but I’ve got long arms and struggle with lower back pain if a bike’s too small for me. I ride a large 909 with a 31mm stem at the moment.

From reading the comments it does sound like the perfect bike. I could go full enduro, but if I’m honest I’ll probably only do a few races/uplifts next year and I’m used to riding technical stuff on a hardtail so I’m not your classic FS point and shoot guy – 130mm at the rear will feel very plush for me!!

scruff
    Free Member

Can you get Alu as frame only?

snapperdan
    Free Member

You certainly can – you can’t get the C version frame only though.

bigmat

Got my 5010 CC in summer, 9 months old.
    Previous fs bike was 2004:SC heckler.

Wide bars, 140 mm front setup

Beast of a bike,
    My Lycra skinny mates can’t believe how well it rides.
    I have stiff lower back due to an old fracture.
    This beast is comfy as hell.
    Need to up my skill levels to max its potential.

wallop

I love mine. I’ve got an early version and run a 150mm Pike – all good in the main but I do end up feeling a bit beaten up in the arms after a long day in the Alps.

Such a fun bike!

marshyrob
    Free Member

Got the 5010 V2 and a hightower. The 5010 I call skitz compared to the limo that is my hightower. It feels like its got so much more travel than is stated and I’m heavy (17st). It rips pretty much any trail like no other bike I’ve ridden. It can be a bit of a handful when really pushed on the most technical fast trails so don’t expect this to be something that ploughs through any line you take without having to work for it. You really need to work with it and respect the poppyness of this bad boy otherwise it will bite. But that’s what I love about it. The hightower is my point and plough through any line bike but the “fiddy” is sooo much fun in all instances be it an all dayer at afan or ripping it at BPW. Enjoy!!

hardtailonly

Mate of my mine has one (3/4 years old?). Loves it. I ‘looked after’ it when he went travelling for a year, didn’t use it much (didn’t want to smash it 👀) but really enjoyed the times when I did use it, including a 3 day bike packing weekend in the Lakes. Light, agile, efficient, fun, capable. Yep, very good.

joebooker
    Free Member

I have a 2015 C version. Was very happy with it, coming from a 2002 Cove Hummer hardtail, but after moving to Colorado decided I needed better forks and brakes. Upgraded 130mm Secktors to 140mm Fox 36, and Deores to Hope V4s. Now feels very composed and capable on most of the trails around here, and lots of fun. Only time I could have done with more travel was lower section of Doctor Park in Crested Butte, and some of the gnarliest bits in Moab.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Just buy it, it’s a brilliant bike, if you can pedal uphill well it’s an xc machine if you can bomb downhill it’s perfect for enduro..

Second ride on my v2 I did a local West Yorkshire xc loop event scraped another 15 mins of the previous year when I rode my lefty f29er , and I’d say 50% is road with 1000m of climbing,
    Rode it at ardrock and ardmoors and it never felt out of its comfort zone, unlike me. it’s amazing how many people ask is it a bronson..
    Been to lakes garburn pass and peaks ladybower loop, Stanage plantation, Evans peaks rideit.
    I just discovered Leeds bike parks and it’s amazing fun on the jump line
    If you are into massive drop offs and big gap jumping maybe go bigger to bronson otherwise it’s perfect and that’s why people keep them along time

It’ll only take 2.4-2.5 tyres max so get the v3 for bigger tyres,

I’m currently thinking about the tallboy (but it’s due an upgrade new release by SC I feel), I have carbon 29 wheels and 27.5+ on my chameleon so I could interchange wheels and bikes, that is the only downside on the 5010 for me

snapperdan
    Free Member

Thanks again everyone – my mind has been made up and I’ve put a deposit on a new black alloy 5010.

It’s going to be my first bouncy bike after years of riding hardtails…I’m very excited!!!

Does anyone run a short stem on their 5010? I’m running a 31mm on my 909 at the moment, but I think I’ll need something a bit longer on the 5010 maybe even 50mm?

jsync

On a similar note, I’m thinking of going to a V3 5010 @ 140 from a V1 Bronson with a -1 degree headset @150. Has anyone ridden both and can compare?

Cheers

squealingbrakes
    Free Member

What advantages does the piggy back DPX2 have over the DPS that is provided on the less expensive models? I can the benefits on long gnarly descent, but for general flowy up and down riding surely a well tuned DPS would be as good, saving 200g and some cash?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I rode one last year. Truly wonderful bike. When my Jekkyl got nicked I decided the 5010 would be the only thing I would replace it with. Spent most of this year riding rigid but in the Spring the urge to spend will probably have me trying to afford a 5010.

bravesirrobin

I have a 2016 5010 v2 which is a very fun bike. I came from a Bronson V1 (L) and the 5010 (also L) felt immediately more confidence inspiring and capable but I think that was just down to the extra reach. I now ride the 5010 with a 140mm coil converted Pike and CC DB Air (long stroke giving 140mm at the rear) and it still feels just as fun and even more capable.

jsync

Bravesirrobin, thanks for the feedback. It’s the reach that I think will make a difference. So the 5010 is more confidence inspiring than the Bronson? Interesting.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz 5010 Real World Reviews’ is closed to new replies.