Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Samsung Galaxy ACE – My Dad has just bought OMG.
  • redthunder
    Free Member

My phone is prehistoric and only can be used for calls and txt’ing.

My Dad [72] has just got a Samsung Galaxy ACE and wants apps etc. Guess who it’s now landed with ;-(

What are decent free apps out there worth getting. Also, his credit has been getting a kicking I guess the interweb ability. How the hell do you block thaT….

Fun and games.

and what TF is an Android ?

stevehine

Why would you want to block it ? You would be much better ensuring it was connected to the home wireless network (assuming there is one) then when he’s at home there’ll be no mobile data usage.

Android is an operating system that runs the phone.

Jamie
    Free Member

Android is the operating system it runs, like Windows on a PC or OSX on a Mac. Android was created to rival iOS, which iPhones use.

Rather than blocking the net usage, it might be prudent to move to a tariff that gives unlimited data. If your Dad got the phone as PAYG/Sim Free, then GiffGaff do unlimited web/texts and 200mins (i think) of calls for £10 a month.

You can have a look at the Apps available in the Android Marketplace here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps

You can also access it from the phone.

speaker2animals

You only use up credit if you are actually using the internet over GSM/3G. If you’re using WiFi it won’t use any credit. No point having the phone if you are going to “block” the internet usage I’d have thought. I’ve never used pay as you go but I can only assume that mobile internet use uses up credit like nothing on earth. Ideally you’d be looking for a monthly contract which should give you a fair old chunk of internet. I’ve “only” got 500MB on my contract and was concerned how much I would use and have to pay for extra. I have never git anywhere near my limit. But then I use the works free WiFi in the day and my house WiFi so actual mobile browsing isn’t actually all that much. I’d never download anything over mobile unless I was desperate.

redthunder
    Free Member

@stevehine.

Linked to the home network

@jamie
    Giffgaff is worth a look.

Toasty

Even if it’s on the home network, you can block mobile data if you’re paranoid. I’m on Android 4.0 here and its under Settings/Data Usage, might be in Settings/Mobile Networks/Use Packet Data or similar on Gingerbread?

In the same menu, he could switch to 3g only (GSM only), which will be much slower data if it tries and give the battery a lot more life. It won’t affect the Wifi data speed and phone calls in 3g are fine (combined with more coverage).

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’ve got an O2 contract and they don’t charge you for going over, they just cripple your speed, but you have to notify them and change to a new (cheaper!) tariff. FWIW I spend most of my time with mobile data turned off, it’s fine for me, and while I’ve easily blasted through 500mb in one month, that was mainly through some updates I forgot to set as wifi only!

unovolo
    Free Member

Not sure how you do it on the Galaxy but on my rooted and romed Htc Hero ,you just pull down the notifications bar at the top and it has switches for Bluetooth,wifi etc up there,there is one for data ,tap once to have it enabled,tap again to turn it off.

redthunder
    Free Member

It went back to the shop..it wasn’t his type of phone.

Over phoned if you like.

Using the phone and seeing it haemorrhage his money… it felt like I was being pick pocketed. Talk about a dry bumming.

Anyway I designed the ultimate smart phone in the meantime …

DIY Smart Phone 3of3 by SGMTB, on Flickr

DickBarton

Get you with your fancy solar powered abacus!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Samsung Galaxy ACE – My Dad has just bought OMG.’ is closed to new replies.