Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Salsa launch new hardtail, thoughts?
  • ratherbeintobago

It’s a bit meh.

Not clear why they no longer do a steel one.

johnnystorm

Clearance for 27.5+ and 29 by 2.6 is cool.

At least 32mm stanchion forks, air springs and droppers all-round is also good. Lots of mounting options, sensible all round geo another bonus.

141QR is probably less of a let down than people will credit it. Tubeless rims but non-TCS tyres could be a bit of faff.

Overall, I like Salsas. I’d have one. 27.5+ SX thanks.

ratherbeintobago

I like Salsas too, but I don’t understand why their trail HT isn’t steel.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Thought it would be steel also

molgrips
    Free Member

I love Salsa but that bike just looks like a bog standard budget HT.

funkmasterp

Is it also very expensive? They should just update the El Mariachi

ta11pau1

Salsa Rangefinder | A New Hardtail Joins The Updated Timberjack

£1400 for the SX eagle version, I’d rather have the Vitus Sentier at £1100 with a better spec, and geo.

molgrips
    Free Member

They should just update the El Mariachi

No they should just keep making the old one (with updated chainstays). The steep angles are what make it so brilliant as an adventure bike rather than techie MTB.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Always* thought Salsa left the steel stuff to Surly.

* Not always of course just lately.

ratherbeintobago

No they should just keep making the old one (with updated chainstays). The steep angles are what make it so brilliant as an adventure bike rather than techie MTB.

Aye, though mine copes well with trail mincing duties.

If they want to make a trail HT they could always call it the Ala Carte…

Always* thought Salsa left the steel stuff to Surly.

* Not always of course just lately.

Isn’t the Fargo still going (and still steel)?

fudge9202
    Free Member

Yes Fargo, Vaya and Marrakesh all in the 2020 lineup and all steel. 😀

duckman

And all at the sort of frame only prices that are normally charged for titanium.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Yes Fargo, Vaya and Marrakesh all in the 2020 lineup and all steel. 😀

Posted 10 hours ago

Whoops, I’ll admit to being out the loop a bit and mostly having an intrest in the fat bikes and sussers 🤦‍♂️.

damascus
    Free Member

And all at the sort of frame only prices that are normally charged for titanium.

I’ve owned a few salsa and surly bikes in the past and really rate them but since ison dropped importing them the prices have rocketed and pushed them out of my budget.

sheck

I have a soft spot for Salsa having had a Vaya, Elma and a Spearfish in my time… in fact the Spearfish remains the quickest point to point bike I’ve ever owned and I wish I still owned it…

However, their range seems to have polarised to either niche/special interest a la Cutthroat / Blackborow, or entry level stuff like this?

scotroutes

I’ve owned a few salsa and surly bikes in the past and really rate them but since ison dropped importing them the prices have rocketed and pushed them out of my budget.

The price problem started when Ison were still importing them. When I had an El Mariachi I considered upgrading to the Ti version. Even at trade, the frame was £500 more expensive than the custom Ti frame I bought from Justin Burls instead.

zezaskar
    Free Member

I remember when I started MTB circa 2008 and the 29er rigid SS steel thing was in full swing, Salsa used to be right up there in desirability.

I felt like they kind of held it with the fatbike craze and the bikepacking crowd, but they seem to be missing the boat more and more on the MTB side of things.

Nowadays, it seems like the only time I see a mention to their FSs is when a bikepacker wants to try a mountain bike and already knows Salsa

scotroutes

I’m guessing they cost what they do because folk are happy to buy them at that price (see Rapha etc). Ison were always having orders knocked back as QBP would divert stock to the US market. Combine that with the price hikes and it’s little wonder that relationship broke down.

It seems to me that Salsa used to have a very strong, small range of models. I obviously don’t follow product launches as I once did but I’m completely lost in their range now.

bentudder

I tried to get a Timberjack frame ages back. £450 is a bargain for an adjustable chainstay frame with a 73mm threaded BB capable of running 29 or 27.5+ with 130mm forks. Ti option less so, but the alloy version looks great. You can also get 142mm dropouts for your old wheels. Equivalent from SC or Trek is £100-£150 more.

cycloform
    Free Member

I have just ordered a Timberjack as my LBS has become a new dealer for them. Seemed like a complete bargain

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Salsa launch new hardtail, thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.