Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Safest 27.2-26.8 dropper conversion
  • mucker

Just wondering if anyone has a idea what 27.2mm dropper post is the most suitable to have the external diameter reduced to 26.8mm, so basically which one has the greatest wall thickness to start and will therefore hopefully retain the most strength.

frogstomp

Unless you have a particular reason to go that route (warranty?), it’ll be easier to get the seat tube reamed out.

mucker

TBH I think I’d be happier potentially wrecking a seat post rather than a frame. Also it’s for the little fella so not getting used in massively gnarly way. Also intend to pick up something second hand.

damascus
    Free Member

I’d be looking at a quick release and normal seatpost rather than reducing the thickness of a dropper post.

ajantom

As above, much easier, and probably cheaper to get the seat tube reamed out.

Turning down a post requires a lathe + operator (unless you’ve got a lathe), and I know most decent machinists are pretty busy.

Whereas a lot of decent bike shops will have a reamer, and it’s a pretty quick job to ream out 0.2mm from a ST.

If you do insist on going the seatpost route, then one of those very simple KS ones that you have to manually pull back up would probably be best.

Mowgli
    Free Member

I did the lathe thing on a cheapo £60 cable operated thing off ebay. RSP perhaps? Not snapped yet. It was, and still is, a cheap nasty clunky post and the bar lever is terrible.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.