• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Saddle rails – grease or carbon paste ?
  • iainc

I usually use carbon paste but am chasing out a saddle/dropper noise. I’m wondering if grease might be a better option on the rails ?

TheGingerOne

I have never used anything in over 25 years and never had a creak from saddle rails.

I would suggest cleaning and nothing.

iainc

Hmmm, ok, may try that. It’s a Fox Transfer dropper, Thomson bolt up clamp, ISM saddle on a Bird Zero TR. post itself has carbon paste on it. I have exact same setup on my Anthem and it is silent…. Not convinced it’s the rails but that’s my starting point. It’s definitely saddle or post as doesn’t do it when standing and pedalling, or when sitting and pedalling on road. Does it whether pedalling or freewheeling.

leffeboy

swap the saddle with the one on the Anthem as a test?

tjagain

A tiny smear of grease or copaslip.  Not carbon paste.  I usually leave it dry tho.

iainc

Leffeboy – good plan ! Will go with copper slip too, thanks

Yak

Try the rail/saddle base interface. Dribble some oil in there to check.

iainc

Good point, thanks

plus-one

Dry .. Any type of grease/oil attracts dirt then creaks !!

reev
    Free Member

Whenever I get squeaky rails on my Reverb a dab of Copperslip does the trick.

cb200
    Free Member

I had a similar creaking recently. After taking the saddle off, cleaning and greasing twice – still creaking. Swapping the saddle – still creaking.

It turned out to be some dirt where the Reverb goes into the seatpost. Remove, wipe, put back – no more creaks!

CHB

Never greased saddle rails despite that fact that I will add oil/grease/silicone etc to virtually everything that gives me an excuse to! If it’s the saddle rather than the post or the frame/post then playing about with the saddle tension should change the nature of the creak. It can be infuriating tracking down a mystery creak, so just eliminating one cause at a time is the way to go.

singlespeedstu

Water pump grease is what you want for creaky saddle rails.

Cheap as chips and really difficult to actually spread on anything it’s so thick.

Stops any trace of a creak dead in it’s tracks and won’t wash off any none moving connections like a boss…

iainc

Some good ideas, thanks all. The hunt will commence tomorrow once it’s all dry after today’s ride and wash down…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Saddle rails – grease or carbon paste ?’ is closed to new replies.