Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Saddle Guidance
  • rhyswilliams3
    Free Member

Anyone in the Chester/Deeside/Wrexham area any suggestions for where i can get help buying a saddle?

I’ve had charge spoons for ages but don’t really find them very comfortable, only had them because of the price. I have a knackered old WTB Pure V on the commuter and find that quite comfortable in comparison but its a big big, heavy and ugly for the roadie.

The markets a big wide place and saddles are very personal so is there anywhere that does a fitting service or maybe a try before you buy? the other half works for Demon Tweeks (Tweeks Cycles mothership) if its any help to me.

globalti
    Free Member

According to the Specialized Concept Store sales guy in Chester who has just sold me a bike the latest thing is the “power” saddle, which is a bit like the stealth bomber of the saddle world, a bit uglier, shorter and wider, presumably to allow you to move forwards a little when giving it rice. The bike has a Spesh BG Power saddle and thanks to it I took 13 minutes off the same 30 mile route that I did three days earlier on my 2014 bike. Or it could just have been because it rained and I was pedalling harder to try to stay warm. Anyway it felt no more or less comfortable than the Charge Knife saddle I have on the old bike.

mickolas
    Free Member

And specialized will measure your arse:

https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/store-finder

“Widths for Every Body Type
    All of our saddles come in multiple widths and various shapes that match your anatomy to ensure total comfort and support. Don’t know what width is right for you? Any Specialized retailer can measure your sit bones and recommend the correct width.”

I’ve never used them, but I seem to remember reading positive testimonials.

nedrapier

You’re likely to find a Specialized saddle that will fit you well, they’ve got a decent range and let you take exchange for another until you’re happy with one. Means you’re paying full price, though.

Another approach is to buy 3, 4 , 5 off the classifieds that are similar in shape to the WTB you like and resell the ones you don’t like.

I’ve had a few Specializeds over the years, but my favourite current saddle is a classifieds WTB Volt not bothered with chammy shorts for ages now on rides of 2 hours or less.

mickolas
    Free Member

OTOH – buy a brooks! Probably a Team Pro or a Swift.

Cons:
    Big.
    Heavy.

Pros:
    The last word in comfort.
    Looks fantastic.
    Lets the people know you know what time is it!

slowoldman

There appears to be a bouyant Ebay market in lightly used (presumably tried and not suitable) saddles. I got a couple of almost new Brooks Cambiums for about half retail price for me and ‘er to try out. Haven’t felt the need yet to move on.

bigblackshed

Firstly measure your arse. Video below explains how.

Then buy a Brooks Cambium in the size that suits.

Job jobbed.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Saddle Guidance’ is closed to new replies.