Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Rusty towel radiator
  • muddyjames
    Free Member

My fairly new white (not chromed ) towel radiator is rusting and paint falling off it. It wasn’t very expensive but came with a 10 year guarantee. So  they sent me a new one.

Thing is I can’t help thinking that the new one will go the same way. any suggestions on how to stop it rusting – I could spray paint the new one but I assume this would be a fairly Labour intensive job as it would need keying or something first for the next coat of paint to stick.

one of these – I think the water from hand washing  is getting in at the joint between the bars and the uprights so would be quite a faff to prepare .

https://www.manomano.co.uk/p/juva-1200-x-500mm-white-flat-panel-heated-towel-rail-10264229?model_id=10264229&referer_id=701184&gclid=CjwKCAiArY2fBhB9EiwAWqHK6gvL_ug4Hd6ekiTWrriHPEonulmcBOK82UcTRExCGdNBQ-8Rbp6tuRoCVVsQAvD_BwE#reviews-container

Any suggestions on how to keep the new one from suffering the same fate or best to simply find another brand (pipes are wall exit so will need to get a similar width one!)

jeffl

Mine did the same but after about 5 years. Was at the bottom corner. Not sure an extra coat of paint will work as in theory the existing paint should be waterproof.

But if you do add an extra coat I refurbished a radiator with this stuff, satin version. It was really good, but definitely needs a few thin coats rather than a single thick coat.

https://www.screwfix.com/c/decorating/spray-paints/cat850184?producttype=radiator_spray_paint

shermer75
    Free Member

Mine did the same. Pretty lame really

muddyjames
    Free Member

Ok so I Think I need a new one as the hassle factor/cost to swap outweighs the unit cost. Any recommendations?

Any experience with Screwfix towel rads?

wooksterbo

You could look at Stelrad.

https://www.stelrad.com/radiators/towel-rail-radiators/

We’ve got their deco radiators in all but 3 rooms and they seem very good, had an issue with one of the radiators when I unwrapped it, even though it was weeks and weeks after I took delivery, they picked up and replaced it without issue immediately.

Not the longest warranties on them compared to some though – 5 years. They aren’t that cheap either.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Forget towel radiators and fit a conventional radiator with  a couple of heavy duty rails above it.

In our main bathroom I used, Rothley Endurance <span class=”mark6p9w8afag” data-markjs=”true” data-ogac=”” data-ogab=”” data-ogsc=”” data-ogsb=””>Stainless</span> Steel Hanging Rail End Brackets 25mm, spaced them  off the wall with some CLS battens painted to match the walls. fitted  2x 1200mm rails, there’s enough space to hand 4 full size bath sheets, the towels are bone dry within hours and they are heavy duty enough the kids haven’t been able to pull them off the walls.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.