• This topic has 1,256 replies, 205 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,161 through 1,200 (of 1,257 total)
  • Rushup edge resurfacing
  • rogerthecat
    Free Member

What about making a long barrow, they have a suitable purpose

Trekster

Cheers Pook.
    Been a bit “off colour” re biking(35yrs)recently but re-visiting some old haunts and a trip down your way is required.
    A mate has done a lot of work with the view to getting a club started locally and we hope to engage with our local FC re a volunteer trail maint group. At a recent “consultation” session it was mentioned there was no money for trail maint and volunteer / community groups prepared to help may be the way forward. The person I was talking to was not aware of my previous 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

How’s the “no car cafe” doing? Used it a fair bit in the past but not been out that way since rushup was ruined.

woody21
    Free Member

The long barrow sounds like an excellent idea

crazy-legs

Bit of a thread bump. I didn’t ride the actual trail but passing the bottom of it today on the CX bike, it was a river. There was water pouring off it all over the road but the rocks seem really well bedded in as the water was clear, it wasn’t bringing any gravel with it. Nothing further has been done to the trail since the last update on here, it’s a proper mess to ride.

Never seen that much water coming off it before though, even after heavy rain or in a thaw.

evh22
    Free Member

Crazylegs: that’s interesting and useful info. They had put mostly large rocks down and i think all small particles had already been washed out into the road last year. But no consideration for drainage means this could be a real hazard. Could it freeze up?

If anyone sees anything like this, take a quick pic and email it to Peak District MTB info@peakdistrictmtb.org for our hall of shame.

We have written to DCC recently complaining about the continued closure and are yet to hear back. We’re putting out a newsletter shortly: if you are a website member you’ll get an email.

slowoldman

I’ve often seen water (and gravel and mud) running out across the road. Maybe those big rocks have improved it.

evh22
    Free Member

They haven’t dumped many small rocks on it yet. There’s plenty of evidence of spill out from Chapel gate because they haven’t dealt with drainage adequately.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I rode it for the first time in 3 years yesterday(Rushup Edge bit), my wrists are ****! Horrible rocks.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Absolute vandalism

stilltortoise
    Free Member

If anyone sees anything like this, take a quick pic and email it to Peak District MTB infoATpeakdistrictmtb.org for our hall of shame.

FTFY

simon1975

Going downhill, the singletrack on the top of the bank on the left has got quite fun and it’s now possible to stay on it all the way to the road gate. Walkers tend to use the field on the opposite side.

Surely the horsey people have had something to say about the state of the main track by now?

Merlinman

Email edited for you!

crazy-legs

Thread bump.

Saw a tweet earlier from Keeper of the Peak (@KoftheP) which now seems to have been deleted but it was saying about rocks being taken up there by helicopter.

Last weekend over on the Roych Clough side as it climbs to the main road I’d seen a sign saying “Caution, helicopter activity in this area” but I didn’t really link it with resurfacing work.

Anyway, after seeing the tweet I headed up there this evening on the CX. The trail is a river at the moment, it’s pouring water out onto the road but it’s clear water, no gravel in it. The first part of the climb is all rideable, just small stones then you reach the bits where the babyhead rocks are still firmly bedded in. Loads of exposed bedrock, water streaming over it and then in the little sunken sections, still loads of the rockfill they dumped into it. Almost impossible to ride up, difficult to walk too – now that all the smaller gravel has washed out of it the rocks just turn under foot.

The rut at the edge is mostly rideable. Got up to the Chapel Gate turn off, no sign at all of any rock dumping by heli so I carried on over the summit. The top part is just the same as always, a network of criss crossing ruts on a firm sandy base with numerous puddles. The descent (this may have been on the FP by the way, I might have accidently missed the turn off onto the bridleway – possibly…) was as usual, rutted, grassy, a few squelchy bits of mud.

No signs of any paving stones dropped up there but it might be worth someone checking over on the Chapel Gate side of the ridge.

I’ll post some pictures over to Keeper of the Peak on Twitter later.

monde
    Free Member

Wasn’t the Heli lifting for the paving slabs of the resurfacing of the Brown Knoll path by the moorlands society? Rushup is still up in the air at the moment according to pdmtb.

Just seen this on the Moorland website about cutthroat consultations ref resurfacing as well.

http://www.moorsforthefuture.org.uk/news/archaeologists-carry-out-investigations-along-cutthroat-bridleway

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thanks for the update

grannyjone
    Free Member

I’ve ridden down Rushup Edge 2 months ago, didn’t think it was a bad descent, but then I never saw what it was like pre surfacing.

BadlyWiredDog

http://www.moorsforthefuture.org.uk/news/new-pathway-helps-protect-fragile-moorland

The Brown Knoll path that was referenced earlier. Due for completion mid to late September. Once it’s fully paved, it’ll mean you can get from Edale Cross right across to Rushup Edge basically on flag-stones, though of course, not on a bike because of the erosion you might cause to the stone paving.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Finally some developments on this

Peak MTB Rushup news

Please complete the DCC questionnaire and have your say

DCC consultation

keithb

Good work on that. Well done on at least making them reconsider their plans, it shows you’ve made am impact!

As a DCC resident they can be frustrating to deal with. I’ve now asked 3 times for justification for cycle lanes at the end of my street not meeting national guidance, I have so far received no response!

thepodge
    Free Member

Some interesting stuff here too

Rushup. DCC see sense?

mildbore

Shameless bump. We gotta respond to the consultation (see James’s post)

hora
    Free Member

Sounds hopefully promising. Thanks to those who battled on this. You know who you are. Tireless work in the background.

vickypea
    Free Member

I rode up it 3 weeks ago, it’s a lot easier to ride up than it was when they first chucked all those stones down. Interested to see what they are going to do with it.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

What they do will hopefully depend on your and others comments vickypea

jambalaya
    Free Member

The document suggests to me they are truning it into a flat pack gravel road. Nothing like the stone slabs of Roych Clough

jambalaya
    Free Member

Is rhe view that rhe proposed works whilst far inferior to the original are less cr@p than the current disaster ?

Pook

Partly that, in my mind, jamba, yes.

It looks to me like there will be some gravel but that there will also be done pitching like on Roych Clough – like they say.

What’s unclear is how much of each surface will be so finding that out is the next challenge.

vickypea
    Free Member

jameswilliams34- I have responded to the survey. I also wrote to DCC 2 years ago when this kicked off. I couldn’t go to the protest ride as I was in hospital.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

I seem to remember similar lip service paid to stanage causeway, keeping some of the rock.

Then all they did was flatten it and add a lot of dangerous drainage ditches.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Whwn I think of Roych Clough it’s this below. However the planning application picture just looks like a gravel track. I completed the survey an said the works looked rubbsih and would encourage people tomdescend flat out. Perhaps that’s not what people would prefer I say.

BadlyWiredDog

The drainage ditches worry me. My concern would be that they install something like the chasms just round the corner on Chapel Gate to save the gravel top stuff from water erosion where it drains off the stone pitching and end up creating something that’s actually unpleasant to ride at best and actively dangerous at worst.

I suppose the best case solution is that the whole track was pitched or at least the majority of the top section, which was where the bulk of the bedrock was before, but that’s going to be expensive, which means it’s unlikely as it doesn’t have the National Trail status and funding that the Roych does.

vickypea
    Free Member

jambalaya- we usually ride up it rather than down, but if they turn it into an ugly flat path with no challenge then I might be less inclined to ride the very popular “Edale loop” and buy lunch in the cafe at Edale.

Pook

It’s interesting isn’t it? They’ve left a very briad spectrum available to themselves. As it says up there both in the PDMTB and KoftheP blogs (and now RS I notice), more detail is needed to make a call on it.

vickypea
    Free Member

I would be very interested to know how long the rock has been exposed like that. If it’s something that happened over the last 10 years or so, under tramping boots and bike tyres, or has it been like that for decades?

dpfr

I didn’t feel there was nearly enough specific information on their plans, so that’s what I said. I think they’ll find it very hard to get a balance which allows access for all their user groups without also making descending speeds on a bike dangerously high.

vickypea
    Free Member

Mr Pea has just said that it was in that condition 30 years ago when he did his D of E, so why are they so keen to suddenly fix something that’s been like that for donkey’s years and not getting any worse (except perhaps the narrow track up to the side, which isn’t really down to the bed rock?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@vicky I ride it as a descent following a Jacobs route Pook was kin enough to share with me 4-5 years ago 🙂

mildbore

Vicky I made that same point in my response to the consultation doc, told em to leave it alone but continue to restrict motor traffic.
    Mods, can we make this thread sticky again at least until the consultation is over?

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

so why are they so keen to suddenly fix something that’s been like that for donkey’s years and not getting any worse (except perhaps the narrow track up to the side, which isn’t really down to the bed rock?

DCC would state that they want to make the (pretty isolated) trail acessable to all
    But in reality it appears they are nervous of people suing them by falling over in the mountains

I also made the point about the bedrock being there for decades with (to my knowledge) very good natural drainage

Viewing 40 posts - 1,161 through 1,200 (of 1,257 total)

The topic ‘Rushup edge resurfacing’ is closed to new replies.