• This topic has 1,256 replies, 205 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,121 through 1,160 (of 1,257 total)
  • Rushup edge resurfacing
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

But if you only highlight their bs to them, they’ll continue to take the piss. They need shaming/embarrassing publicly or getting bollocked by a higher power. Problem is, we don’t have the funds to get a higher power to listen.

ragpuddin
    Free Member

We’ve got social media and cameras, someone could script a short documentary about what’s going on, inserting the key players of DCC involved in these decisions, lots of before and afters. Do a ‘Watchdog’ type thing – I dunno, it’s a start?

Pook

Regarding funds; the ombudsman does. We just need to start the ball rolling with a well written letter of complaint to DCC.

And ragp – yes that would be good. Time is our only issue

iain1775
    Free Member

I’ll just throw this up again –
    https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/do_it_now/default.asp?goToNav=%3E148%3E7%3E&VD=report_it_roadcondition

The more reports they get and have to investigate and repair the better our roads should get but the less budget they will have for tinkering with paths that are not really carrageways in anything but designation on a map
    I imagine a sudden spike in road fault reports might make people start to ask questions

funkrodent

Heading up there tomorrow morning for a valedictory ride and to see it for myself, been a while since I headed in that direction.

I’d like to put on record my thanks for all those of this community (and others) who have fought to reverse this vandalism.

On that note an article on today’s Daily Torygraph (I know, at least it’s not the mail, I usually read it to balance the Grauniad), which has uncanny similarities with what is happening here..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/environment/conservation/11747326/Council-that-ripped-up-a-villages-iconic-cobbles-is-forced-into-100k-U-turn.html

Pook

Interesting article that funk. We’re just weighing up our options – stay tuned. It’s too late to give in now

rogerthecat
    Free Member

PDMTB is now pursuing this through DCC’s own complaints process, if you are a signed up member (register on th website) you should have received an update, if not, pop over to the site and register and we will send you the info required. There is a post on the FB page as an example of what one member has done.

A few people seem to have backed off from this issue, but if we do that then DCC can effectively do whatever they want and we will all lose in the long run – there is still the Roman Road, Bamford Clough and Hurst Clough under consideration for work (Roman Rd has a £70k budget approved but they have not specced the work yet – yeah, go figure that one!)

We could really do with the same level of support that everyone here threw behind the first effort to get the work stopped. Any help appreciated:

Peak District MTB

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m signed up but not seen the update yet.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Have you had previous updates?

thepodge
    Free Member

I believe I’m on the mailing list, but not the facebook list and have as yet received nothing.

MartynS

I’m signed up on the website, but no updates…
    Also now a Derbyshire resident so very very happy to make appropriate representations …

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Ok for those not in receipt of the email update, pls find the info below:

Hi,

DCC Decision – Repairs to Chapel-en-le-Frith Byway Open to All Traffic 144

As you are no doubt aware, DCC ROW Officer has delivered his report to the Council and they have approved the works to continue as planned. This means that the materials currently in position will remain and some form of top dressing will be applied to smooth the trail.

It is our firmly held belief that the report has cherry picked comments from the responses of those consulted to support the argument of the DCC ROW Officer in question and ignored any dissenting voice. So much so that the feedback from the BMC has been ignored completely. We now need your help to challenge this decision.

DCC has lent upon accessibility as an argument for this work. Accessibility is something we fully support, we are in favour of increasing access in all its various aspects, including access to ride more widely. We would be more accepting of this decision if accessibility was the primary reason for the work being instigated but it was not. The opinions of two local disabled groups has not been sought.

This whole exercise appears to have been engineered to provide a sufficient number of responses to allow DCC ROW Officers to selectively quote from those that support its original position. This is both misleading and undemocratic. There has been no consideration of factors such as current usage, potential usage, economic impact for this work and in a time of austerity, large scale cut backs and deteriorating roads, the priorities seem to be driven more by someone’s agenda than a rational approach.

There is currently work planned by DCC on the Roman Road that leads up the side of Win Hill to Hope Cross, and to Doctor’s Gate, the scope and scale of this work is, as yet unknown but for the Roman Road a figure of £70,000 has been allocated. There is also Hurst Clough and Bamford Clough being considered.

If you would like to help us to challenge this decision, we have just one more opportunity. We can follow DCC’s own procedures to complain about the decision. To do this you need to either write to DCC personally, explaining that you are dissatisfied with the process that has led to this decision. State your reasons, please keep them rational and to the point and we may yet have a chance to reverse this decision.

This is a link to the process for complaints, a bit turgid but worth reading.

http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/council/complaints/complaints_procedure/default.asp

This is the link to the complaints form:

https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/council/contact_us/new_contact_form/default.asp

Address to which you can write:

Derbyshire County Council
    County Hall
    Matlock
    DE4 3AG

You will need to put this into your own words and reference either the letter or email as RE: Council Decision – Repairs to Chapel-en-le-Frith Byway Open to All Traffic 144

Key points being:
    the report was selective and misleading
    the process behind the report was not undertaken fairly
    the decision has been made without full understanding of public opinion
    one campaigning group, mountain bikers, has been unfairly and purposefully singled out as the only dissenting voice which is untrue

Any help you can give would be hugely appreciated, we are not prepared to be treated unfairly and misrepresented. You have offered fantastic support at the start of this campaign, if you can summon the energy to help once more it would be great.

Thanks, PDMTB Committee.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If the offer is accepted, I might be a Derbyshire resident soon and will be happy to make a nuisance of myself.

Pook

And try to get horse riding friends, walkers, climbers and others to kick off if they feel the same

Pook

Feels like time for a bit of an update.

You’ll have no doubt seen the DCC report on the consultation process. Simply put, DCC ignored the myriad concerns and recommended that the original plan go ahead with some minor tweaks.

The report, in our opinion, misreprented the stated views and even ignored comments from some major organisations, not least the BMC.

Blinkered by the report, councillors voted in favour of the recommendations and work was slated to start again ‘in summer’.

Behind the scenes, Peak District MTB and KoftheP have been frantically working out the next steps, the first of which is to formally complain. This has been done and DCC are investigating the challenges raised. You can see the details of complaint on the PDMTB Facebook page.

The outcome of that procedure will determine the next steps, but interestingly in the meantime, your friend and mine, Peter White of the Rights of Way department at DCC has opened a consultation on cost reductions in his department. And you are allowed a say.

It’s not for us to dictate what you say, but the thoughts and objections raised in the various documents produced on Rushup certainly suggest ways in which Peter could save money.

The consultation is ostensibly about time periods in which DCC has to take action, but it also invites comments and thoughts. We’d be remiss if we didn’t take this opportunity.

http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/council/have_your_say/consultation_search/Consultation_search_index/public_rights_of_way_review.asp?VD=rowreview

So there you go. Chapter 382. It’s a long haul battle this one, but we can’t give in. If we do now it’ll be carte blanche for Peter and his cronies.

Thanks for your ongoing support.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Takes just a few minutes to fill in the survey and could help a lot.
    As Pook has mentioned we are objecting through DCC’s own process and channels, we also have the support of the others in the original group that objected to the work last year. It would be great to turn up the heat once more and as DCC ROW Team has asked us to let them know what we think, it would be rude not to! 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

I filled it in, its structured and worded in a fashion that makes me think they want you to backup what they’ve already decided.

mintimperial

Well I’ve filled it in and told Peter White that a really good way of saving money would be getting rid of Peter White. Not going to make a blind bit of difference, obviously, but if it spoils the vindictive sod’s day even just a little bit then I’ll count that as a win.

ragpuddin
    Free Member

3 – 5 weeks worth of work going on at the Cown Edge Farm track leading over to Robin Hood Pickings. The lads working on it had no idea how far up they were going with it but they said it would look like a patch work quilt when done.

Pook

Well everyone. It’s a year today that it all started!

Happy birthday

crazy-legs

I rode up it* on the CX bike the other day. What a mess.

The bottom bit is now full of fist sized rocks where what the council had dumped there has washed down. Some of the original rock slabs are now a bit more exposed. The footpath at the sides is just as pronounced as always, more so in some places where it’s actually collapsed down into the sunken path.

A lot of the rest of the trail-fill is still in place, testament to how much it was bashed in there but that was never intended to be the final top surface so I’d imagine if it ever gets completed that they’ll need to start from scratch to ensure that the base layer is up to standard.

*I had to walk some bits

mintimperial

Happy birthday. Meh.

Rode down it a month or so ago. Still fun at the top, then suddenly PILES OF SLIDY ROCKS EVERYWHERE ARGH. Rubbish.

DCC need a proper kicking for making such a monumental cock up of this little corner of the Peak.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Rode it last week for the first time in 18 months. Awful. The smoothed completed version will be awful too.

Time for project cairn? Every time you pass, place 10 rocks on the side. Soon have it cleared!

Pook

Love the idea of a cairn.

chum3
    Free Member

Per the above – rode it for the first time ever last weekend, passing walkers who were up on the side bank. Got to the bottom and thought “I bet that used to be fun…”

Vandalism…

martinhutch

Love the idea of a cairn.

If it gets big enough I’m happy to pay for the ‘DCC Highways Memorial Cairn’ plaque to stick on it.

slowoldman

Time for project cairn? Every time you pass, place 10 rocks on the side. Soon have it cleared!

Should we just be blatant about it and organise a clean-up day? On the grounds of safety of course.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Maybe getting up there and handballing it all off the trail could be our equivalent of the kinder trespass.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It would take more than a weekend though so maybe do it quietly. We got over 70 people for a pootle one time, maybe we could get the same to clear the trail.

mintimperial

Maybe getting up there and handballing it all off the trail could be our equivalent of the kinder trespass.

I’m up for that. 😀

crazy-legs

Should we just be blatant about it and organise a clean-up day? On the grounds of safety of course.

As I said quite early on in this thread, it’ll take a lot more than that. There’s hundreds of tons of rocks over about 1000m of trail most of it whacker-plated and bulldozed into place. When they started the work they had tipper trucks and heavy machinery up there to lug the bags of rock around.

It’s not just a couple of wheelbarrows worth!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

My estimate was 150 tons but I’m no quantity surveyor, probably much more.

2800 riders down on Strava. 3x that without Strava. 15kg each moved, that’s only the weight of a bike each, 126 tons.

😉

Don’t have to do full width either, just a nice singletrack…

Not a weekend but over 6 months…

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Pook what a sad day.

A “cairn” sounds like a good idea

mintimperial

Don’t have to do full width either, just a nice singletrack…

Yep, maybe just chuck some rocks off to one side, clear a bit of a path down each steppy bit. It’d be more about showing how pissed off people are than trying to completely clear the entire track, obviously.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Let’s decide on the best way to do it. Maybe we don’t have to get it all cleared, just pick a section to return to its former glory?

Is it still officially closed? There must be some rules being broken by keeping it closed but not working on it.

crazy-legs

Is it still officially closed? There must be some rules being broken by keeping it closed but not working on it.

No, it’s fully open. No signs at all now. A few months ago they had some “trail closed” signs which had been placed face down on the verge but they’re gone now as well.
    There was a scout group having a picnic at the bottom of it when I rode it last week.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Pop a couple of rocks in your pockets as you ride down. Shake ’em out at the bottom…

Trekster

Not a local but have ridden there a couple of times. Appears to me that a lot of tax payers monies are being wasted/misspent.
    Can riders not monitor/photo/video etc the erosion over the next winter for evidence?
    Is there not some Ombudsman that interested parties can complain to?
    MP?
    Local/national TV programme? There seems to be plenty of day time programmes covering “rip off Britain”

We’ve been talking about lack of trail maintenance locally. I remind those who are moaning that unless there is a recognised club/organisation etc and they join then individuals having a moan out on the trail or wherever will not achieve anything. Someone has taken this on board, a club is being formed and trail maint is a subject up for discussion. 😆

Just read some back posts, seems it’s all been covered……
    Good luck and keep it going 🙂

Pook

Trekster, thank you for that timely nudge. Locally, these are the folks doing the fighting.

Peak District MTB

http://kofthep.com

Join and follow these groups. They need all the support you can give!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,121 through 1,160 (of 1,257 total)

The topic ‘Rushup edge resurfacing’ is closed to new replies.