Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Rural Broadband/satellite broadband
  • duncancallum

I’ve found a house I want but it’s only got a 2meg connection.

As me n the missus WFH it’s not enough.

Theres no 4g there but I think an external booster might pull a signal

Or its satellite service.

Would a booster work with improving both data and calls?

Bt are doing fibre in the area and the address is listed as being done soon.

Murray

Have you checked all the phone networks for 4g? If any of them has a 4g signal that would work, especially with an external aerial for the 4g router. A friend has been doing this for 5 years in rural Kent, another friend ran his software development company (10 people) from a 4g modem in central Leeds for the 6 months it tooks to get a fibre link (rented office in listed building so all sorts of paperwork to be able to drill a hole).

Satellite – do you care about latency?

oldtennisshoes

Satellite – do you care about latency making video calls?

FTFY

footflaps

I was going to say satellite broadband was very expensive, but actually not that bad…

https://bigblu.co.uk/home-broadband/

duncancallum

Dont do much video calling tbf.

Yeah Sat is much cheaper than it was.

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

We’ve been using Wave which has been pretty good. Wireless fibre technology.

Obviously depends on your location.

Richie_B

Can only speak for our bit of the peak but there are local providers who can provide a decent connection rate (When I looked at it I think they were quoting 60meg but not sure) at a reasonable cost. I’ve seen similar systems in bits of Leicestershire with similar connection issues so its worth investigating. Most of these systems rely on a line of sight or being very close to the base station, although the companies I have had dealings with seem to know where there are gaps in the local bt and mobile networks well enough to put their kit where it is needed. The systems relies on a line of sight connection or being close to the local base station so even with local knowledge there are gaps.

We ended up waiting for BT to update the local boxes to fibre which improved things dramatically (except when it rains?).

footflaps

We ended up waiting for BT to update the local boxes to fibre which improved things dramatically (except when it rains?).

Not uncommon, a junction box somewhere underground fills with water when it rains and craps out until it can drain.

duncancallum

Its Dumfriesshire.

It’s not getting 4g either but I think a mast with a booster would fix it

Is there a map of transmitters I can see to see range and topography too check?

Or would you just call a local it firm

oldtennisshoes

It’s not getting 4g either but I think a mast with a booster would fix it

How is the booster going to work?

You could just buy a 4g capable router and then distribute the signal internally using conventional wifi / mesh.

Broadband Internet – a thrilling update including a picture of a man on a roof !

dovebiker

Just done this – moved to Speyside 5 weeks ago. No BT landline and 4G signal stops about a mile down the road. Had a 4G external aerial fitted by EE – £100 installation cost and
    £30/month for data sim. Speaking to EE on the phone they were able to check signal strength etc – its still pretty margin, download is OK but upload is slow. Zoom is OK as is wireless calling, normal browsing, Youtube etc. Wouldn’t fancy trying Netflix etc.

footflaps

How is the booster going to work?

They mount on your chimney and have a high gain antenna which points to the nearest mast, giving a much better signal that you’d get from a handset. It then repeats the 5G signal in the house for handsets to use.

Murray

Guide to external aerials for 4g. You may have a better signal from these bigger aerials than the tiny one in your phone.

Ocfom coverage checker

A bit of a gamble for a house buy unless you have a backup plan

Richie_B

Not uncommon, a junction box somewhere underground fills with water when it rains and craps out until it can drain.

Especially when that junction box is located in ‘dry’ limestone valley which is a marsh for between three and six months of each year. Its wonderful when utility companies save money by making all the people with local knowledge redundant and run things centrally….

breadcrumb

Our line based broadband was pants, 0.7mb. Upgraded to faster (fibre) broadband lucky to see 2mb and it was very unstable.

Went with a EE 4gee broadband package, and it’s been brilliant.

Netflix did work at 0.7mb just took a little while to buffer at the start.

We can stream 4k videos now, no problem.

CraigW
    Free Member

Its Dumfriesshire.

Check the coverage from Borderlink? https://www.borderlink.co.uk/

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Rural Broadband/satellite broadband’ is closed to new replies.