Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Running Maxxis Minion DHFs front and rear. Will I die?
  • rhayter

Alright, I realise that the “F” in “DHF” doesn’t stand for “Front” but I don’t know anyone who’s running a DHF as a rear tyre. I’m getting a slightly wider, MaxxGrip DHFII for the front of my bike and wanted to just swap the MaxxTerra version to the back wheel. Anyone done this and regretted it? Or loved it? I mostly ride Surrey Hills. Slowly and cautiously.

ayjaydoubleyou

before the DHR2 came out (when the original DHR was a bit pants) loads of people used front and rear DHF.

Cornering knobs are I believe the same on both

jamesoz

I’d have thought it to be really draggy but then I prefer a worn tyre or Semi slick on the rear.

Northwind

It’ll be fine. They’re not the best on the rear- they don’t slide too nicely and they’re a bit draggy, especially in 3C- but it’ll work, and be better than most tyre combos.

Definitely not as good as 2 DHR2s mind.

nickdavies

I always thought it did stand for front.

I’ve switched to aggressor on the back for most stuff now but I’m still on dhf front and back in 42/60 flavour for bigger stuff. still my favourite combo for harder riding that doesn’t involve much pedalling.

Yak

Yeah, got a 2.5wt dhf front and 2.3 dhf rear. It’s fine, or more, it’s not a limiting factor. That’ll be me.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Ran them F&R as do lots of people for years.

Prefer the Assegai/DHR2 combo these days though 🙂

pothead
    Free Member

I’ve known a few people running the DHF backwards on the rear and none of them had any problems with it, although as already mentioned above the DHR2 on both seems a more popular option

joebristol

Think it’ll just be a bit draggy and probably won’t brake quite as well as a dhr2 does but you’ll be alright imo (no death involved).

mehr
    Free Member

I thought Maxxis confirmed the F was front? Either way I run dual DHR in Maxx grip and they’re ace for pretty much everything

Edit – though my ridings 99% pointing down

chiefgrooveguru

“Alright, I realise that the “F” in “DHF” doesn’t stand for “Front” ”

It definitely does – I’ve seen the original designer refute erroneous claims that it was Freeride and Race, stating that it was always Front and Rear.

Until the DHR2 came along most people ran the DHF on the back too because the DHR was rubbish. And now loads of people run dual DHF or dual DHR2. I’d even be happy running DHR2 front and DHF rear!

argee

Give it a try, worst case you have a spare front tyre, it’s only messing about with the rear as well, i get more twitchy switching the front as i always worry about front wash out more than any rear slippage, so you’ve a good chance of surviving this test.

chakaping
    Free Member

I used to use them front and rear as well, wouldn’t say they were even very draggy. Quite fast rolling as I remember.

The main downside was not great braking grip I think, but only compared to something like a High Roller (rather than a semi-slick or low-profile tyre).

SirHC

Ran a DHF on the back in Italy and France this year after being on a DHR2 for a year. Quite surprising how much less braking traction there is!

Assegai & DHR2 is brilliant, apart from the drag on the front. Great for lift assisted or uplift riding.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

DHF is lighter and less draggy than a DHR2 on the rear but doesn’t grip as well. Not a massive difference, though, so you won’t die.

JP

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

After running 2 bikes with dhf front and semislick / dhr rears and thinking them perfect for the last 2 years, Then losing the front end multiple times in soggy woods and typical cobble/bit of everything West Yorkshire valleyside footpaths.

I tried the wild enduro 2.4 gumX £31 on tredz (after £5 voucher)
    As a front tyre it has blown me away with how good it is and given me full confidence in it. Definately worth a try .

rugbydick

Yes, you might die… but only because the DHF is such a shockingly bad tyre.
    They seem to just give up as you lean the bike over, as they transition between the centre and side knobs.

Totally unrelated… I’ve got two 650B skinwall 2.3 Maxxterra going up for sale (2 rides old) if anyone wants them.

andrewh
    Free Member

I do about a third of the time.
    Buy a pair, DHF and DHR. Rear wears out first, cheaper to buy another pair. Second rear wears out, run two fronts, both worn out roughly at the same time, repeat.

BillOddie

2 x DHF is my normal go to set up for a bit of everything set up, until it properly dries out when i swap the rear for a Minion SS.

I run a 3C Wide Trail 2.5 on the front and a 2.3 maxterra on the back.

Yes, you might die… but only because the DHF is such a shockingly bad tyre.

Burn the heretic!

lardman
    Free Member

I run DHR 2’s in 2.4 WT back AND front. I’m still alive as i sit here typing.

SirHC

I run DHR 2’s in 2.4 WT back AND front. I’m still alive as i sit here typing.

Danny Hart runs that setup, he’s very fast.

lardman
    Free Member

@Sir HC…. i didn’t know that. He’s plainly trying to emulate my turn of raw SPEED.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

You defo don’t die and they aren’t slow or anything.

null

rhayter

So I’m hearing… it’s OK (I won’t die) but it’s not ideal… The hunt for a 29×2.4 DHRII EXO TR 3C begins now.

lardman
    Free Member

I’m running EXO+ as there’s not too much weight penalty, but the sidewalks are a fair bit thicker.

zezaskar
    Free Member

I used one at the rear for about 3 months last year, I slashed my rear DHRII and had a spare front DHF lying around.
    Cornering grip – same as the DHRII, maybe a tiny touch better
    Climbing grip – in between the Aggressor and the DHRII, but not that great
    Braking grip – on par with the Aggressor, which is to say none
    Rolling resistance – felt the same as the DHRII

I thing they work reasonably well in the rear for park and trail center use, but even there I don’t think there’s a significant advantage over the DHRII
    For general use, DHRII every day

airvent
    Free Member

DHF are a bit pants I reckon. Theres far better out there now. The price of Maxxis tyres has gotten beyond silly now for some reason too.

OK they may be alright in the dry but what really makes me laugh is when people recommend it as a tyre capable in the wet. Its downright dangerous when its wet.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Running Maxxis Minion DHFs front and rear. Will I die?’ is closed to new replies.