Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Running backpacks
  • Prophet2
    Free Member

I am doing a bit of trail running and targeting 15-20km runs as my running  fitness improves. I have never run with a backpack so looking for advice on which is best to buy.

I was thinking of the belt packs that can take a water bottle, and have room for a phone and gels and a snack. Or is a running backpack better for stability on the back?

I do have mtb Ospery backpack but seems a bit bulky for running.

Cheers

BadlyWiredDog

I like the close-fitting vest-type packs that sit high up on your shoulders / chest with a bit of a stretch harness. They just feel more stable to me than a belt-pack, particularly if you’re carrying a little more, particularly fluids.

I’ve used the Osprey Duro 1.5 and the Montane Fang 5 and they both pretty well for a litre or so of liquid, a few bars, a lightweight waterproof say and maybe a very light insulated top – I like having soft bottles up front, so you can drink with minimal hassle.

I think it depends a little on how much you’re planning on carrying. I felt belt-packs / bum-bags fine with a light load, but less good once you start carrying water and a bit more spare clothing, which also depends on conditions and where you’re running.

scotroutes

I’ve been happy with an Ortlieb hip bag on those sort of distances but I’ve just been. Given a vest-type pack for my 60th. Not had a chance to try it out yet.

bob_summers

Pete Bland bumbag, surely?!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Rocking the boat but the last 2 20km runs I’ve done have just been with my camelback.

May not be what the pros and the running magazines use but it works , was plenty comfy and didn’t bounce about as it wasn’t full of crap to cause it to bounce about.

Most of all it was free as i already owned it.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I use a bumbag, whatever fits comfortably without bouncing is the key point. Mine was actually made by camelback, confusingly.

redthunder
    Free Member

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgufDpMouW4GBgqL_CbkebbpHbgN1i2ozSCNaIL_SZp4MIEbm

Best bag, rucksack I have ever used. So simple as well. Dont know why they are not more popular.

redthunder
    Free Member

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve used cycling ones – a 15L Deuter and a 5L Vaude/EBC. I have a hip-pack but don’t find it that comfortable and having the rucac isn’t a problem. I don’t see the point in tiny rucsacs/pacs, but I do like to have stuff with me.

I’ve not tried a running specific bag but the ones I’ve used have been fine and of course free. This is 10-18 mile runs to work.

eastcoastmike
    Free Member

The reason I prefer a vest style pack even if small capacity is that they have front pockets which saves a fair bit of faffing to stop and gets stuff in/out of the pack. e.g. camera/phone, some snacks, sunglasses, water soft flask, small map. I have a mountain hardwear singletrack 5L, montane jaws 10 and razor 15 all of which I find pretty good

dovebiker

Keeping everything snug is key IME – you want straps that really allow you to pull it in – a bottle bouncing in the small of your back can be pretty annoying. I have a Camelbak vest that I use for longer runs – 1.5 litre bladder on the back (plus room for a lightweight top) plus pouches up front for gels, flasks phone etc.

woffle
    Free Member

I ran every day for a couple of years too and from the office – I used an Aarn Ultralight thing – essentially it sat tight on the waist / hips, with shoulder straps (and front packs) on a pivot point between the shoulder-blades. This also meant it suffered a lot less with the whole sweaty-back thing as you had a lot of freedom of movement.

They’re nice and extendable so happily carried a full change of clothes, laptop, waterproofs, towel etc every day.

supernova

Artlu 10

I use mine for trail running and on my bike. Made in the UK.

Stainypants

I use a decathlon vest with soft flasks  for longer runs.  Most comfy backpack I’ve used.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/trail-running-backpack-10l-id_8489273.html

Prophet2
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice. I fancied the look of the Montane Fang 5 so I have ordered one, Wriggle had it discounted a bit. The Decathlon one also looks pretty good as well.

peekay

I use a very low profile running belt that is able to squeeze in a phone and at a push a lightweight shell jacket that squashes up to the size of an apple.

If not running “properly remote”  and not taking emergency gear etc which is bulky enough to require a pack, then I usually try and plan the route with one or two brief water stops en route. It is usually possible to get a cup of water from somewhere in most villages, or worst case take some cash or a card for a bottle from a shop. Similarly if you need a snack then bananas, flapjacks or mars bars can usually be found. Much more pleasant than carrying a pack and I find having mid route destinations to aim for keeps my mind a bit more active.

lunge

I’ve got the 5l version of the Decathlon pack mentioned above, this one. Works for me, It’s pretty small but I can fit an extra layer or 2 in it, along with the bladder and some food. In truth, I use it most to run the 4 miles to Parkrun every week, as I volunteer most week it means I can carry a few extra layers and not freeze whilst I stand around scanning bar codes! Depends on how much you want/need to carry, I try to carry as little as possible so it’s more than big enough for me.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’ve got this one from Raidlight..

https://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mountain/raidlight-ultra-olmo-vest-12l/136483667/p

Spotty dog imho..

surfer
    Free Member

I avoid carrying anything but my car/door key although I sometimes wear an iPod shuffle for listening to podcasts.

Unless obligatory (FRA rules) why carry more than you absolutely have to, in my experience it is only additional faf. Seldom need food or drink (unless you are out for hours away from civilisation) what is the current fad for carrying bags/belts/bottles? I really dont understand it. I know I am going back a bit but its really a new phenomenon (not aimed at you OP) but the number of runners I see carrying drinks, bags etc when I am pretty confident they are only running a few miles. Your body will manage hydration without you carrying a litre of fluid for a 30 minute jog!

Our Sunday runs where 15 milers and even on the warmest of days we never stopped, if you did you got dropped and we often ran them in around 90 minutes or just over, why do people now need sustenance every 10 minutes!!!

alanf
    Free Member

I’m in the ‘if you don’t need it, don’t take it camp’ so invariably I just have my key. No watch, no drink, no food, and could be out up to 3 hours.

However, having done an ‘ultra’ last year of about 32 miles, if you were to want to carry a belt or a bag/vest, then the ones that Ultimate Direction (UD) sell are very good. Not cheap, but they are no fuss, don’t bounce and are pretty comfortable.

Digby

I’m not a massive fan of backbacks for running, cycling (or even snowboarding for that matter), but there are clearly times when you need one to carry at least some protection from the elements:

Some sage advice from Edale Mountain Rescue after a runner was reported ‘over-due’ by his partner yesterday:

The duty team leader received a call from Derbyshire Police regarding an overdue male who had failed to return from a run in the area surrounding the Derwent reservoirs . Questioning of his partner (who was waiting at the Ladybower Inn and had raised the alarm) increased the concern for his welfare as he was only dressed in tee shirt and shorts and had left his phone behind. A full team callout was therefore immediately initiated in addition to a request for search and rescue dogs.

Luckily as our first members were arriving on scene he phoned in to say he had made it home having flagged down a passing motorist.

A timely reminder that a bivvy shelter or bag could save your life especially if you insist on travelling light.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Yeah, we were having thoughts along those lines when someone fell and hit their head (luckily not badly) on a local club run recently. Only a few miles from town but it’s a bleak few miles up on the moor with relatively high exposure (far end of settle loop for the locals). I do that run by myself often enough. To be fair it is a well used route, a corpse wouldn’t lie there for long.

scotroutes

Some sage advice from Edale Mountain Rescue after a runner was reported ‘over-due’ by his partner yesterday:

There were similar warnings up here in Scotland last winter. While it’s always tempting/lovely to head off as light as possible, accidents happens, conditions change etc. Carrying a minimal amount of kit can make the difference between life and death (and putting someone else at risk in trying to find you).

mikeyp

I can also recommend the ultimate direction packs. Very stable and lots of accessible pockets whilst running. Not the cheapest though.

scotroutes

I can also recommend the ultimate direction packs. Very stable and lots of accessible pockets whilst running. Not the cheapest though.

My Missus bought me one for my birthday. I’m now feeling under a bit of pressure to “justify” it.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Running backpacks’ is closed to new replies.