Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • runing shoes – what to look out for
  • mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

think i might do a spot of jogging, local pavements and wherever i'm working. Far more fun than using hotel gyms and easier than carting bike around.

I did a bit of cross country running as a kid and despite looking like i've got a hot poker up the jacksy when i run i reckon it won't kill me.

I do however have back problems so comfort is important so i won't be dashing out in my merrels.

what do i need to look for in a good sneaker?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Get thee to a proper running shoe shop for some gait analysis. Seriously.

I can recommend either Sweatshop on the 5th floor of the big Egyptian corner shop on Knightsbridge, or Run and Become on Victoria St if you're around That London's Famous London.

poppa
    Free Member

Yeah, if you are planning on doing a lot of running you need to find whether you are flat footed or the opposite (can't remember what that one is called) – depending on which it is you might need a shoe that either supports your arch more or provides more cushioning. If you do a google search there are some idiots guides to this, but a gait analysis would be better.

If you dampen the sole of your foot, and then stand on a dry surface you can tell a little from the footprint. If your footprint shows the whole of the bottom of your foot, then you are very flat-footed. If it only shows some, you are 'normal', and if it hardly shows any apart from the very outside of your foot you have overly pronounced arches(?).

Anyway, you get the idea.

Strangelove
    Free Member

Yep go to a proper shop.
    In some shops they will video you running on a treadmill and analyise your gait in slow motion.

RichT

As the capt says, go to a proper running shop and get them to have a look at you. About 15 years ago I started to run and had terrible problems. Got some new shoes following their advice and have always got the same type of shoes since.

Also, don't do too much too soon.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Some thinking says if you've got back problems comfort shouldnt be important.

The argument is the the cushioning in the shoes stops your body correctly reacting to the impact of running. Allowing the shock to run though your lower limbs and actually causes more impact futher up in your knees/pelvis/back.

This all might be rubbish but its probably true if you tried to run on concrete barefooted you'd probably have very sore feet, ankles and calves.

Personally again I'm not really sure about this advice

"to find whether you are flat footed or the opposite"

If you go and get a gait analysis before you've started running there bound to find a problem. If you havent done much running in years the muscles round your ankles and calves are going to be weak meaning your'll run badly.

Like all things there is some skill to running and surely it would make sense to do some running first to improve your technique. Then get a gait analysis if your having problems.

Although there does all of a sudden seem to be a lot of marketing BS about barefoot running I do think there is something in it. But you dont need any fancy trainers you just need standard pair with a thin sole, like squash shoes.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

started to run and had terrible problems <-> Also, don't do too much too soon.

linked ?

crikey
    Free Member

Get thee to a proper running shoe shop for some gait analysis. Seriously.

Sorry, but no. It's running. It's a method of locomotion that the human body is fundamentally designed for, and really doesn't need to be subjected to a load of technological money spinning nonsense unless there is a real problem.

Buy some cheap running shoes, take it easy and be sensible.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i've already got insoles for spacky feet but i'll bare that in mind.

I spend a lot of time on my feet and walking around at work so hoping not to have lost too much lower leg muscle, i know to start slow as the only exercise i've really done for 20 years is cycling and my muscle structure certainly supports this.

and as to being videoed on a running machine, a simpsons episode springs to mind 😆

Next Homer is on a treadmill in just his underpants, with electrodes attached to him.

MULDER
    Wait a minute, Scully. What's the point of this test?

SCULLY
    No point. I just thought he could stand to lose a little weight.

MULDER
    His jiggling is almost hypnotic.

SCULLY
    Yes. It's like a lava lamp.

jim
    Free Member

Sorry, but no. It's running. It's a method of locomotion that the human body is fundamentally designed for, and really doesn't need to be subjected to a load of technological money spinning nonsense unless there is a real problem.

So the human body is fundamentally designed for running on (very) hard surfaces with arbitrarily shaped pieces of plastic strapped under it?

i know to start slow as the only exercise i've really done for 20 years is cycling and my muscle structure certainly supports this.

Not wishing to put you off at all but based on my experience of coming to running from a cycling background you'll find it hurts, a lot. But take it easy and it will get better quite rapidly.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

yeah i'm expecting that, at least the people pointing at me and laughing will distract me from the pain

poppa
    Free Member

The biggest difference will be the impact on your joints/muscles, it could take a few weeks to get used to that.

mefty
    Free Member

This article suggests running barefoot is better for you

brakes
    Free Member

I went to Runners Needs and had the analysis done and bought a pair of their cheapest trainers, which were £70 – they look like £15 off the market jobbies
    I used them once and my quads nearly exploded so didn't notice the usual pain in my back I get from running
    I didn't bother again

maybe next week

RichT

No not linked, took it easy at first and problems went as soon as I changed shoes. I've got flat feet and so needed something suitable.

£70 or so may seem like a lot for a pair of shoes, but compared to the money I spend on bikes…..

sloaner
    Free Member

A pair of plimsolls will be fine….. or that's what my old man always told me and he used to train 100miles+ a week and run marathons in 2:30 in late 50's early 60's wearing Woolworths plimsolls….. he still gets out a couple of time a week now and he is 78 next week so it never did him much harm!!!

Although, from my experience having been cycling more than running nowadays and with a dodgy back, make sure you stretch those hamstrings properly or you're asking for trouble…. I have found a make of trainers I love and have been using them for 20 years.

TooTall
    Free Member

Some people swear by good shoes, some don't. All I know is that the shoes I was fitted for at a proper shop are right for me in a way I couldn't sort myself. We all have imperfections and yes, we are probably designed to run without cushioning. However, we're soft and 21st Century and if we can iron out some imperfections so we can do it for longer, then hello technology.
    If you have ortho inserts, they are probably designed for neutral shoes – take them with you and see what a decent shop says.

IainGillam
    Free Member

There is evidence for both sides of the arguement. The reason people get knee injuries is usually due to their running form so take some time to look at that. Most people are heel strikers (land on their heel) running bare foot will force you to run with a midfoot or forefoot strike with a softer landing. If I were you I would get round this problem altogether by running offroad as the soft surfaces will damage your knees less, the slippy ground will make you up you cadence so when you run on the road you will be faster and it will strengthen your ankles as for trail running shoes your merrels might be just the ticket if not look at merrels other models, salomon, innov.

Iain

backhander
    Free Member

Sorry for thread hijack!
    Tootall, fancy Afan on saturday?
    I'm driving from Mangotsfield and been let down so will be going alone.
    Probably ride whites or maybe w2 if feel like it?
    Let me know mate?

duckers
    Free Member

You can run in cheap shoes that are not suitable for your gait just as you can go mountain biking on a rusty old raleigh lizard with road tyres, you get the same amount of excercise but its in no way as comfortable.

Buying Running kit is like buying cycling kit, you'll buy some good stuff and some right old crap as well, it's difficult to buy kit that you know suits you from the off so if you are looking to invest some serious cash its worth visiting a 'proper' running shop with pair of shorts and t-shirt and being prepared to do a mile or so on their treadmill when you find something that feels comfortable.

Of course, even then you may or may not notice your £70 trainers are more comfortable or stable then your £15 ones over a couple of miles, but at least you'll look trendier walking home from the pub in them if you dont keep the running up!!

Have a look on http://www.runnersworld.co.uk and http://fellrunner.org.uk/ for some good advice on starting out and what kit to buy.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

I ran for 43 min last night, rigorous stretching afterwards and apart from slightly sore shins this morning my back is better than it's been in weeks!

will stick with my merrels for now and see how i get on

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘runing shoes – what to look out for’ is closed to new replies.