• This topic has 23 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by johnhe.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Run out of Nordic Noirs to watch
  • SaxonRider

At least I think I have. My favourite, by far, was Bordertown, because I love the landscapes, I love the sound of Finnish, I love the cross-border intrigue with Russia, and I love the main character.

Are there new ones, or new seasons of old ones, that you are aware have recently landed on either Netflix or Prime? Just a heads-up: if it’s older than 12 months, I’ve probably seen it, whether its Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, French, Belgian, or even, in the case of Hinterland, Welsh. 😎

DrJ

There’s Grow on just now on 4. Danish thriller. Pretty good.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Arctic Circle / Ivalo is on my list….think it may be on Prime though which I don’t have at moment

willard

Händelser vid Vattnet.

No idea if it is available on anything other than SVT Play, or if it has a language option other than Swedish, but my GF says it is “Interesting, trollbindande, uncomfortable to look at, but the story is really good”.

Or you could go old skool and just binge watch “Winter” (again, SVT Play, again Swedish only)) and get some uncomfortable plots.

ton

not a scandi, but Derr Pass is very good.

shooterman

Quite enjoyed Partisan and Seizure on All 4. The Blood Pact is dutch and good. Perfume on Netflix is very dark and very good.

cinnamon_girl

Have you watched this series?

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/arctic-circle

Lots of snow obviously which somewhat makes up for the storyline.

IHN

Was going to say Hinterland from Welsh Wales, so have you tried Hidden?

teenrat

Have you seen Deadwind?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I used to work with a Danish lad who spoke five scandi languages.

He said Finnish was the weirdest and most awkward.

Can’t help in the drama, sorry.

benpinnick

Arctic circle+1

willard

A Dane said that? The cheek. There’s a reason their kids start speaking later than most others in Scandinavia and that is because the pronunciation in Danish is so hellishly complex.

northernsoul

If you’ve seen Trapped (Icelandic) on Prime, there’s a newish series of it on Netflix but it’s under the name Entrapped. I enjoyed it as much as Bordertown (great landscapes, filmed well).

IHN

If you can find it, try Jordskott. It’s like Swedish noir meets the X Files, it’s good

vinnyeh

Assuming you’ve seen Fortitude

And a book, not TV, but you’ve read “Miss Smilla’s Feeling for Snow”?

DrJ

I used to work with a Danish lad who spoke five scandi languages.

That’s cos Finnish has completely different roots to the other Scandi languages which are more or less mutually comprehensible (apart from some difficulty with Danish pronunciation, which is a frequent joke in The Bridge)

willard

That’s cos Finnish has completely different roots to the other Scandi languages which are more or less mutually comprehensible (apart from some difficulty with Danish pronunciation, which is a frequent joke in The Bridge)

Is true. I speak Swedish and can understand Norwegian (even though it sounds like they are drunk), and Danish (to some extent, but better when written), but have no clue about Finnish.

Finns, awesome people, mad, but awesome.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

He was an interesting character.

He did mention the common base of the other languages made them easier.

Thinking about it it was probably four languages not five. Maybe he only knew a few words of Icelandic and counted that as five? Sorry. Was a long while ago now.

cinnamon_girl

Just to update and this may appeal to you SR – Walter Presents a French-Canadian drama called “The Wall”. Set above the Arctic Circle and a very snowy backdrop, it also features some big boy toys and, er, a rather grim town. Jury out so far and the bad news is that each episode is shown weekly, currently there are 2 that can be viewed with the next being available this Friday evening.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-wall-cover-your-tracks

politecameraaction
    Free Member

Kleo?
    Deutschland 83?

ab1970
    Free Member

I liked Terribly Happy (Netflix) – a sort of Danish Coen brothers film. If you’ve run out of noir, there is other good nordic stuff you could consider also – I am enjoying Lykkeland/State of Happiness which is based on the start of the Norwegian oil industry (similar to Deutschland 83, it’s a nice blend of nostalgia and real events. But no murders).

seadog101

Dark on Netflix.
    German rather than Scandi, and more surreal sci-fi alternative time line stuff.
    Flipping confusing and you need to think deep.
    Certainly has Noir vibes.

footflaps

So what is the definite Nordic Noir set?

The Bridge
    The killing
    Trapped
    Fortitude
    Bordertown
    Deadwind
    Lakeside Murders
    The Valhalla Murders
    Wisting

johnhe

I love Wisting. Also just finished Spring Tide. It’s not Scandi, but we watched a french series set in Annecy which was very good (something like ‘Killer by the lake’).

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.