Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 4,700 total)
  • Rugby world cup
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sorry, no green scales (?) here. Just sick and tired of hearing supporters of teams that are outclassed at the breakdown whinging that it’s the other team infringing, poor reffing, yadda yadda yadda. We’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

duckman

I didnt see much wrong with the Irish play, it was just Scotlands imcompetance when asked to score tries that stood out

As a level 3 ref,I saw plenty wrong,Ireland killed the ball at every opp,they were not even very good at doing it either,compared to the likes of Ritchie Mac or Simon Shaw. But then 2xv team players (as you term them) like McFadden and McCarthy (4 and 1 caps respectively)can’t be expected to keep up with play. You would have thought their team mates,like Horan and that other new front row tyro Hayes, would have helped them, maybe they were a bit green themselves eh?
    From my point of view it is a worry the Scots were not able to stop them doing it.But then we are pretty limited.Scotland will get out of their group,that is most realistic supporters ambition (sorry tj) Winning ugly yesterday was better than losing.I will take exactly the same game and score against Argentina. At the end of the day not you,ME,DD or Flash are following a team that has ANY chance of winning the WC.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

At the end of the day not you,ME,DD or Flash are following a team that has ANY chance of winning the WC.

It’s still going to be great fun watching though! 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m just glad you haven’t got any further than level three then. You’d be blowing your whistle every few seconds if there were that many infringements. 🙂

Have you thought about applying to be an independent assessor though? They really need someone who can put them right on their inadequacies when it comes to refereeing the breakdown. 😉

duckman

It’s easy DD, three penalties for the same thing, yesterday it was “sealing in” the tackled player, word with the skipper (prob the worst offender), fourth one, yellow.All hopefully done in the first 20mins. I would love to be an assessor, alas despite recent efforts I am not fat enough yet, but I am working on it.

IdleJon

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    Did anyone see the knock that was missed by Steve Walsh? Wilko got smashed and the ball went forward at least 15 yards and he missed it which led to the england scrum and try, was amazing.

Glad you brought that up! How was that NOT a knock on? Walsh had a very poor game yesterday, IMO, but that’s become the norm for him.

Lol, Walsh is very entertaining. Pity he’s a crap ref. When you’ve got time do a quick google of his name.

From Wiki:

In the 2003 Rugby World Cup he was suspended for three days for inappropriate behaviour towards the England rugby team, after an altercation with England fitness coach Dave Reddin.[2] He missed one match and then went on to referee the quarter final between Australia v Scotland. He was suspended for four months in 2005 during the Lions tour of New Zealand for verbally abusing Irish winger Shane Horgan,[3] after a disputed decision.

On Wednesday 18 March 2009 it was announced that Walsh would lose his job after a third strike on his record.[4]

Iirc he also got into a fight at an aggression management conference, or something similarly ludicrous.

As far as the knock on was concerned, he seemed to be asking his linesmen if they saw what happened.

anagallis_arvensis

As a level 3 ref,I saw plenty wrong,Ireland killed the ball at every opp,they were not even very good at doing it either,compared to the likes of Ritchie Mac or Simon Shaw. But then 2xv team players (as you term them) like McFadden and McCarthy (4 and 1 caps respectively)can’t be expected to keep up with play. You would have thought their team mates,like Horan and that other new front row tyro Hayes, would have helped them, maybe they were a bit green themselves eh?

what level do you think Barnes is? Hayes is shit but I’m pretty sure the even shitter Buckley was playing tighthead, have to say though the soporific play didnt allow me to get to grips with who was playing loosehead.

Talking of props I thought the english cokehead prop was very good yesterday he will push Cole hard for a starting spot, England are very blessed at tighthead

duckman

Barnes is elite (level 1) but he was rubbish yesterday,as others have noted on here. Front row was Court, Flannerys apprentice (Flannery came on) Buckle.

Talking of props I thought the english[b]Saffer[/b] cokehead prop was very good yesterday he will push Cole hard for a starting spot, England are very blessed at tighthead

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

FIFY, But I agree, Cole will not start in front of Stevens,who has been superb since his return. I also thought Mears did what is expected from a hooker a bit better than Hartley when he came on.Not as flash,but more solid.

anagallis_arvensis

Thats a big call on Mears, Hartley the gouging kiwi **** has really come on as a player the welsh didnt even make a little effort to wind him up. I thought both Croft and Flutey were very quiet, Haskell is just shit I really dont get him. Banahan once again showed that he’s a bit crap but Armitage could push Foden hard and maybe the best bet to partner Ashton on the wing as Cueto is solid but lacks pace.

next week for Wales I’d like to see something along the lines of:

15 Priestland (needs to be considered here with Byrne, Hook, 1/2p and Stoddart with various levels of injury)
    14 North (needs game time)
    13 Roberts/Davies
    12 Henson (if he’s in the squad he neess to be risked)
    11 Erm…..well I’d like to not risk Shane but the alternative is Brew 😮
    10 Jones
    9 Would like to see Peel but not sure the English clubs have released him yet, so maybe a start for Knoyle with Phillips on bench if it goes tits up.
    8 Delve
    7 Warbaton
    6 Ryan Jones
    5&4 Has to be Jones and Davies as the rest are all shite
    3 Adam Jones if fit if not has to be Mitchell again
    2 Benett
    1 James with Gethin on bench if fit

toys19
    Free Member

AA said -Wales and england are pretty much level on historical record but england are currently a much better team, these stats are pointless.

But if you compare Wales and England WC stats England are streets ahead. I have always wondered about this and I think its either :

1) Wales are not as good as us, but have so much heart (or hate) for england that they raise their game against us.
    2) England are only really as good as Wales but are capable of raising their game on an international stage whereas wales only give a shit about beating us..

Or a combination of the two…

Secondly this crap about reffing and Ireland getting away with stuff is soooooooo boring, all refs make mistakes, its part of the game, they cannot see everything. Take the pain and move on. I feel the complaints against Ireland are all about the last 6 nations when Ireland destroyed us. I say get over it, Ireland were awesome at the breakdown, mainly due to serious aggression and that big ginger bloke picking our players out of the rucks and mauls and chucking us out of the way. They were just better than us on the day, wanted it more. GET OVER IT.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I don’t envy England much, but I do envy the fact that they had such an awesome side in the nineties that actually went to the SH and brought the RWC back north of the equator. They got to the final last time round through grit and determination – because they sure went to the competition with not much of a team on paper. All that comes from the experience of taking SH sides apart in the nineties. They have a RWC winner coaching them. I don’t really know what it is, but despite the green machine’s recent dominance over England, they’ll probably still get further than Ireland in the RWC.

Other than that, toys’ comments about the breakdown stuff stand. Interestingly enough toys, I don’t hear too many English (other than flash, who is a plastic Welsh) fans bleating about the breakdown. They took their beating like men. The main detectors on this thread are 1 x Welsh and 2 x Scots.

[tongue firmly in cheek]only a scot could whinge about the opposition despite winning 🙂 [/tongue firmly in cheek]

molgrips
    Free Member

But if you compare Wales and England WC stats England are streets ahead. I have always wondered about this

They were doing England Wales matches before even the 5 nations I think and long before the World Cup existed. In those days form was far from consistent, so it was a bit more random.

anagallis_arvensis

Toys19 its number 1, a first choice welsh 15 will always compete but England have more better players and much more strength in depth.

duckman

I’m not too concerned about the Irish killing fast ball,as toys said we won. My boner was about it being a b side! I think A-A is just blinded by love and is not thinking straight. Just for you A-A. 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

My boner was about it being a b side

You get a boner from that? Jeebus…that’s a bit weird.

(It was a b-side btw)

toys19
    Free Member

They were doing England Wales matches before even the 5 nations I think and long before the World Cup existed. In those days form was far from consistent, so it was a bit more random.

If you check since records began its about 100 odd games since 1896 or whenever and the wins are 50 each.

Wales v England Stats since the dinosaurs

edit its 56% to england

“A total of 121 matches have been played, with England having won 56 times, Wales having won 53 times and twelve matches having been drawn. Both Teams having beaten every other team in the northern hemisphere more times than they have been beaten by them.”

molgrips
    Free Member

England have more better players and much more strength in depth

FTFY.

By that I mean more players in general, leading to more better players.

duckman

Dream on Darcy! (loser 8) )

More rugby players in London than NZ, so that is not always the case Molgrips. Makes you wonder about their need to call up SA exiles.

anagallis_arvensis

It was a b-side btw

what he said!!

PS I luvs Gavin!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

loser

That’d be the second time you’ve folded in the face of blinding rationality then. 🙄

It was a b-side. One that should still have beaten a team like Scotland of course, but no, they lost.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wales have Adam Jones, Lee Byrne and James Hook available for Saturday’s return Test with England in Cardiff.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/14437918.stm

Great to see Adam back. Great prop and a lovely guy too!

duckman

Blinding rationality and you are unlikely to ever sit together DD,example;

They took their beating like men. The main detectors on this thread are 1 x Welsh and 2 x Scots

What beating is it that you are talking about?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, duckman, if you were to have a read of what toys19 wrote, he was suggesting that a lot of people were whinging about the Irish infringements at the breakdown because they were a bit sore after the walloping England got in Dublin. Actually, I disagree with him on this point because any England fan I know said on the day that they just got beaten by a better side on the day and didn’t bleat on (like some people very close to this thread) making excuses about cheating.

I think I may have misspelled “detractors” – but I was referencing you, IdleJon and onehundredthidiot and of course the plastic Welshman, Flashheart.

Now, you can whinge on about it all you want, and I said I’m happy to agree to disagree with you on the breakdown stuff…you’re obviously convinced, and there’s no point in trying to change your mind. You are of course, a level 3 expert who feels he could do far better than Mr. Barnes. What would I know eh? I just saw Scotland letting themselves get bullied at the breakdown, but still winning a game. Fair dues to them for doing it. FFS, why do you insist on bleating on about it?

Oh, and finally, it was a b-side. They said it on tv. It was said in the papers. And here, from the BBC match report:

The visitors made 13 changes to the side that finished the Six Nations with a stirring victory over England

Still a b-side that lost. Crap. But we move on.

Now, given that the side that beat England was pretty much Ireland’s best available side, is this not enough for you?

Now, if you’re struggling with all that, I really don’t know what else I can do. I suppose I could name call…and throw the odd insult, but that wouldn’t be very grown up would it?

Finally, try reading the frickin posts to work out what people are talking about before typing again.

sadmadalan

Both the Eng / Wales and Scot / Ire matches at the weekend were poor. The main point of them was to give real game time to players who have spent the past months in training. It allowed coaches to see how some players performed outside of the training environment. I suspect every coach got something out of the matches.

Eng – pack was rusty – but ok – Haskell is not a No 8 – Waldron should have stayed. Backs lack communication – but I don’t think Fluty will travel down under and Tualagi may not get any game time in the RWC

Wales – pack needs their star props, otherwise life is going to be tough. Backs (once the ball gets past Philips – a player getting worse) were ok. Feel bad for Stoddart

Ireland – when the big players come back will improve a lot – but it shows how much they have come to depend on the big players

Scotland – no injuries, played ok, but will suffer from a depth in quality. You tend to lose players during the RWC – could have a big impact on them

Watching the NZ vs Oz in the morning was a huge difference in class. However all their players have just come off the back of the Super 15 and Tri-Nations. Was always going to be a ‘better’ match.

NZ must be the favourites – but like all tournaments – one defeat and you go home (when you get to the knockout stage). If one team has a huge game in them, then NZ could lose. (And without Carter they are a lot weaker).

Just want it to start!

transapp
    Free Member

I’ll just add in, I’d love to see Henson line up against Manu – see who wins that particular battle (ok, 12 vs 13 but you get the drift) I reckon Henson could well get hit so hard it’d knock the orange off his skin. What a lovely sight that’d be.

The one thing most seem to be missing, is that this is a lot of rusty players, trial partnerships and first caps ( comment about Manu for instance “he’ll be found out against more experianced players” erm yes, clearly. he guys 20 and just won his first cap….)to see who’s going to mke the squad. Very little will be learnt other than the individuals performancies. What really shows that the home nations have no chance is the fact we’re all crying out to blood newcomers, try certain pairings, sack the coach etc – 4 weeks from the tournement.
    We’re all doomed I tell thee.

duckman

. FFS, why do you insist on bleating on about it?

I don’t,Why would I be sore about England losing to Ireland? Read my post,(some advice you are quick to pass on) I agreed with an above post that Ireland were killing the ball at the breakdown,and Barnes/Scotland didn’t handle it.I then said what I would do, based on my experience as a ref up here,bearing in mind I apply them to Premiership games up here every Sat during the season.Unsure why that made you so sore.
    The same media you are quoting said the same about Barnes and the Irish at the breakdown, are you being selective?

You are of course, a level 3 expert who feels he could do far better than Mr. Barnes. What would I know eh?

Now, if you’re struggling with all that, I really don’t know what else I can do. I suppose I could name call…and throw the odd insult, but that wouldn’t be very grown up would it?

Choose please, I read the first one as an attempt to insult me.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Choose please, I read the first one as an attempt to insult me.

I suppose it could be construed as such. Sarcasm on my part. But you’re the one who brought up your experience to criticise a ref who is better than you. As said before, you can bleat on all you like about the breakdown stuff – but I and plenty others don’t agree with you. So now, it’s Scotland as well as Barnes that didn’t handle it? 🙂

Why would I be sore about England losing to Ireland?

Is there no end to your misunderstanding mine and other posts? Where did I say that? I think maybe that toys19 thought some of the bleaters were England fans…but I’d be putting words in his mouth. He’ll explain himself at some point I’m sure. I was simply pointing out that no, the bleaters were chiefly 2 x Scots, 1 x Welsh and 1 x plastic Welsh. Please don’t make me explain this again. I’m not sure I can find another way of doing it.

Oh, and I take it you now agree that it was a b-side. Thankfully we’re done on that one.

Interestingly, can you find any quotes about this constant infringement at the breakdown? I’ve only really been reading the BBC stuff, and the Observer/Guardian coverage.

Pigface
    Free Member

This is a thread about Rugby, lets keep it civil chaps.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

[playground]Waaaaaa. He started it sir.[/playground]

anagallis_arvensis

What really shows that the home nations have no chance is the fact we’re all crying out to blood newcomers, try certain pairings, sack the coach etc – 4 weeks from the tournement.
    We’re all doomed I tell thee.

got to agree with that!
    Regardinh Henson, surely he will start this weekend, given injuries the world cup squad could well only have Byrne and Priestland as 15’s and Jones, Hook and Priestland which means Hook is considered more as a 10/15 rather than 12. Basicly it looks to be between Scott Willimas who covers wing and centre or Henson who is a 12 but can cover 12, 10 and 15 from the bench.

Delve has to be given a chance too he’s a super doopa rugby captain afterall.

Peels chances seem to have been scuppered by priemier rugby.

jamesca
    Free Member

I never got chance to watch the home nations games, but the results and reports were pretty poor. on the flip side I’ve seen all the tri nation games, ozzy and AB looked really good against SA. I know SA had a second string side but if you have to resort to mind games then you’re already scared your teams lacking. This was obvious from the super 15 teams as well.

I went to watch the bledisloe cup last Saturday and as much as I cheered the wallabies on the forwards were just too lazy, on the other hand the ABs looked sharp and composed in defence and scything in attack. This is a bitter pill as I would love to see them fail again; in fact I would love to see any other team walk away with the RWC.

I’ll enjoy it anyway, I’ve got tickets for

England vs. Argentina
    England vs. Scotland
    nz vs. japan
    Wales vs. Fiji
    Wales vs. Samoa
    Ireland vs. Russia

anagallis_arvensis

I actually think Wales looked much more composed and efficient when attacking near the line and think this is a huge positive, England on the other hand looked pretty toothless and if it wasnt for Jesus kicking pens and taking drop goals they would have lost, Wales on the otherhand kicked to the corners rather than at goal treating the game as the warm up it was. Fair enough England won but against a poor Wales team they seemed pretty short of ideas and composure.

toys19
    Free Member

if it wasnt for Jesus kicking pens and taking drop goals they would have lost

Don’t knock it, this won us the WC in 2003.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Toys – nothing to do with Martin Johnson and the rest of the forwards dominating?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Agreed. I can’t help but applaud drop goals, even when they’re being scored against Wales! They’re a great part of the game, built on the foundation only a strong pack can deliver.

Oddly, the Messiah reference could be more apt to NZ, I think. Without Carter, they could struggle. Sadly, they have an easy group to get through though. Will be cheering Tonga on! 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ireland v Russia – if the green machine sticks to RWC form, that could be a close one 😯

toys19
    Free Member

Toys – nothing to do with Martin Johnson and the rest of the forwards dominating?

Well I agree but most less than partial observers saw England’s win as Jonny’s win, so I was kinda being ironic. I was trying not to start an argument whilst being compelled to defend the white Rose, think of it as new me..

Anyway I like Flood better than Wilko, not that Wilko isn’t awesome, but I think Flood seems to make the backs flourish better than Wilko..

TimP
    Free Member

I do admire AA’s enthusiasm, but Wales were only ahead for about 7mins and were therefore constantly chasing the game. I felt Eng were in control and didn’t really look like losing. I struggle with the Welsh optimism that they were fitter at the end of the game. So what? A game is 80mins, not 90, but the game changed when Eng bought on their subs and they never really got going in the last 20mins.

Anyway looking forward to Sat night as I get to go to the pub to watch Fra v Ire in Cork with a nice cold Murph’s or 2

anagallis_arvensis

if it wasnt for Jesus kicking pens and taking drop goals they would have lost

Not kocking it in the context of a competitive match but in a warm up game it says something I’d be worried about if I was an england fan. As I’ve said england are a better team and squad than wales and when I said wales have improved it was in relation to the piss poor composure of the team during the six nations. TimP not sure why you are so keen to jump down my throat for saying Wales played some decent rugby at times and England looked toothless, drop goals and a conservative game plan can be a thing of beauty but England dont have the power up front against good teams t get away with it at the moment.

TimP
    Free Member

Had Eng played an open game and lost, the knockers would be out too. What we failed to do was wrap up the game that we had won with an hour gone.

but England dont have the power up front against good teams t get away with it at the moment

A bit harsh on those that didn’t start on Saturday. This week will definitely be a better measure of where Eng and Wales are as neither team was at full strength and it was the first game for a while for anyone.

And that was hardly jumping down your throat! Wales needed tries so kicking to the corners was the only way back and it worked, but had they been 5 behind on the hour I suggest that they would have been looking for posts a fair bit more?

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 4,700 total)

The topic ‘Rugby world cup’ is closed to new replies.