Viewing 40 posts - 601 through 640 (of 4,700 total)
  • Rugby world cup
  • Taz

Think England vs Scotland could be pretty close but, for the neutrals, may just about be the dullest game of the whole RWC. At least Scotland can blame lack of numbers for their backline ineptitude

Very realistic chance that either of them may go out in the group stages (though don’t think that will happen)

IdleJon

Posted 1 day ago # Report-PostNZCol – Member

But seriously, why is the opening game not a game worth watching? NZ v France would be a better advert for the game, surely?

Because that was what they drew oh about 24 months ago.

Yes I know it was drawn years ago, but surely the opening game should always be a bit of a spectacle to draw non rugby supporters into the competition, not an easy run in for the favourites.

Even as an avid rugby watcher I’d never bother turning the TV on to watch NZ v Tonga normally. Good job it’s on at 9.30am on a non-work day (for me) otherwise I’d not bother this time.

wrecker
    Free Member

I was sorry to hear about Wallace’s injury. 6 months out, poor chap must be gutted.

duckman

Sheesh, poor bugger. I watched the game half asleep,it is the wee seemingly small-bore collisions that cause all the damage.I was trip tackled during a game of touch,clipped my own heel…dislocated knee, torn cruciate and medial,from nowt.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

I know im being thick, but what channels are actually showing the games…

my heart sank last night the wife said there was an advert on ITV saying they have the ‘exclusive rights’…. the commentary is sh*te on ITV.

surely BBC are showing some of the games? aswell

searched a bit but didnt come up with much 🙁

DezB
    Free Member

hopefull ROG is immortal because Sexton isn’t good enough at this level.

Wow, imagine any side being desperate to keep O’Gara!

I think it’s all on ITV, monkey_boy.

donsimon
    Free Member

my heart sank last night the wife said there was an advert on ITV saying they have the ‘exclusive rights’…. the commentary is sh*te on ITV.

Turn the volume down and listen to a radio commentary.
    *Assumes that there will be radio coverage too.*

monkey_boy
    Free Member

ah god!

cheers anyway, radio it is.

anagallis_arvensis

could be worse, it could be on sky but I know what you mean.
    Doing my best to avoid Dilly Dally’s world cup progs at the moment, I think they would just make me want to scream.

IdleJon

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    Doing my best to avoid Dilly Dally’s world cup progs at the moment, I think they would just make me want to scream.

😆
    I turned one on the other day and when Dallaglio started speaking I almost punched the screen.

I am a bit disturbed by my dislike of someone I’ve never met!

SouthAfrica2010
    Free Member

SA team flying out tonight from OR Tambo. Celebrations have been going on all afternoon . . . 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Wow, imagine any side being desperate to keep O’Gara!

What do you mean?

duckman

Allow me Dez…he is pish.And before you start defending a fellow small irritating Irishman…YES I would rather have Parks :twisted:.PS…seen BOD? Has his own moon now

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah he’s complete pish. 🙄

All those points…how many? I’ll let you google it, there’s a good lad. A grand slam. 2 HC medals. (that’s Heineken Cup for our Scottish and Welsh cousins 😆 ).

Oh, but he can’t tackle. So, yeah, he’s pish. Christ knows how we’ve ever won a game with such a pish No. 10. Parks?? Jeez. 😆

duckman

Man of the match in 2010 against Ireland(and Italy and France)…..Remind me,who was wearing 10 for the Irish that day? And lets face it, Munster could win the beer cup with TJ at 10!

anagallis_arvensis

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkS5a3RsXRE[/video]

Allow me Dez…he is pish.And before you start defending a fellow small irritating Irishman…YES I would rather have Parks

O’Gara may be rubbish but he is better than Dan Parks, neither of them can tackle. Cant stand O’Gara though singlehandedly lost the Lions tour the clueless idiot.

TimP
    Free Member

How come no-one ever has a go at ROG for his shoulder charges? Not once in that clip does he make an effort to get his arms round the player? He just leads with the shoulder and BOOM! Outrageous!!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

He’s in a long line of players that are better than Mister **** Sideburns Parks…for sure.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I never understand why ROG gets such a hard time from so many fans. A great no 10 – probably the best in the NH consistently over the years.

OK so he does not tackle like a flanker, but he controls a game well and distributes the ball well

Pigface
    Free Member

TJ guffaw 😆 that is priceless.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Who has been better?

Wilkinson – injured all the time and unable to get the back line moving
    Stephen Jones – limited player as well – but fairly equal with ROG
    Parks? Don’t be ridiculous
    Sexton – still has it to prove but a very good player

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Great reasoning there Pigface. 😆

duckman

I think the problem with ROG is that he inspires such strong feelings….

O’Gara gets another player sent off.

I actually thought that this went beyond the pale, but if it had to happen to somebody….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

He certainly inspires a few people on STW to talk bollocks….again.

if it had to happen to somebody….

Coming from a Level 3 ref…tut tut.

duckman

He certainly inspires a few people on STW to talk bollocks….again.

Aye, your belief in Ireland’s superiority over the other Celtic nations for one.

anagallis_arvensis

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkS5a3RsXRE[/video]

Allow me Dez…he is pish.And before you start defending a fellow small irritating Irishman…YES I would rather have Parks

O’Gara may be rubbish but he is better than Dan Parks, neither of them can tackle. Cant stand O’Gara though singlehandedly lost the Lions tour the clueless idiot.

DezB
    Free Member

Ah, missed this!
    Yes, O’Gara – singlehandedly lost the Lions tour <- That for a start.
    Also the tackling… like that’s not important then???

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Aye, your belief in Ireland’s superiority over the other Celtic nations for one.

Sorry duckman, from a level 3 ref, that’s far too obvious. (though recent years would suggest that I’m right…until the RWC warm-ups, when we’ve been particularly shite). Come on though, you can do better than that. How about “ROG is pish”…try to defend that particular piece of bollocks. (Hint: that’s where I got “again” from).

singlehandedly lost the Lions tour

Singlehandedly? 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So who is better than ROG?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

So who is better than ROG?

Lots…but not Parks. 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

Wilkinson – injured all the time and unable to get the back line moving
    Stephen Jones – limited player as well – but fairly equal with ROG
    Parks? Don’t be ridiculous
    Sexton – still has it to prove but a very good player

Wilkinson is better than O’Gara to say he’s injured all the time is bollocks based on the last couple of seasons, Flood is better, James Hook is better and Steven Jones is better. Sexton will be better but is yet.

Dan parks is just as shit. If you are an international rugby player you should be able to tackle.

clueless idiot too, it should be noted prior to this he missed two tackles in the lead up to SA’s equalising try:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCo5n1QmaoM[/video]

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Of course Wilkinson was better…he was one of the best No. 10s ever. ROG will never eat at that top table.

Flood is better

Nope.

James Hook

Nope.

Steven Jones is better

I’d agree with TeeJ that they’re on a par.

Oh, and he really is shit under pressure isn’t he…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pIursHmEZc[/video]

Pigface
    Free Member

Well Hook and Jones first, O Gara just blows to hot and cold, when he is good and he is happy and the opposition isn’t great he looks great when under pressure he does have the habit of of coming unglued.

Putting the clip of him getting pummeled by Mcrae is a bit pointless and he was playing on the wing in that match.

anagallis_arvensis

How come Steven Jones and Wilkinson have been Lions test starters when O’Gara ahs been available then? I’ll will bet you the princely sum of £10 right now that O’Gara will not be the next Lions test 10 either, in fact I’d be suprised if he makes the tour. Steven Jones who has played most on his international career behind a pack getting stuffed is a far better player. What can O’Gara do that James Hook cannot then compare what Hook can do that O’Gara can only dream of? Flood can tackle which means that he would be chosen above O’Gara all day long. His international career has only been as long as it has because of a complete lack of other options.

O’Gara has played in a better international team throughout his career and how many grand slams has he won?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tX2FR8t-vM#[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

That Botha clip makes it even more upsetting 😥
    He did do a good little shimmy against England last weekend 🙂

I dunno you guys, you don’t have to sit there typing carefully thought out analysis for reasons you don’t like a player!
    Peter Stringer for example – you may think he’s a great scrum half, but I couldn’t bloody stand watching him play!
    Sexton is better than O’Gara NOW. Cos that’s what I think.

duckman

Ah, so Ireland were pedestrian and devoid of ideas on Saturday to lull the other participants into thinking they are crap, only to unleash a green whirlwind? Clever that.As accusing me for of talking bollocks, seems to be your standard defence, almost your own variation on the Edinburgh defence.I am afraid I am not the only one who thinks he is crap, read the posts above, are we all talking Bollocks?
    O’Gara now is not even the same player he was three years ago,and quite rightly, was widely slated for his performances during the lions tour.(dunno if you were watching rugby back then) that is why Sexton is being pushed to the fore. Of course that is only my opinion.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

wilkinson is not a better player – he is a different player with different strengths and weaknesses but he is unable to get a back line moving. Too slow on his feet and between the ears.

Wilkinson always has been a limited player. Many many Standoffs that are better

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

TBH a_a, we’re not going to agree on this one. It is about the RWC…not about ROG. The “he can’t tackle” line is well worn now. We all know he can’t tackle. I’d have him in my team over Jones or Hook any day. You wouldn’t? Fair enough, I can live with that.

You can keep posting videos all day of him missing tackles. But that day in the Millennium, he did the job for us.

Despite being so shit, he has scored over 1000 6N points. He’s won one grand slam (I think in Irish rugby terms, this is pretty good 😳 ) and two Heineken Cups. True, the Lions tour was particularly shit for him.

To dismiss him as “pish” is simply nonsense. I do hope that Sexton steps up and takes the jersey for good, because he has the potential to be a better all round No. 10.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I am afraid I am not the only one who thinks he is crap, read the posts above, are we all talking Bollocks?

No, but let’s be fair, Ireland have been getting a hard time on this thread over the last few weeks – and they have been shite. I did crack a joke about them just lowering expectations…and then surmised that actually, maybe they really are shit.

As for you talking bollocks…what was your little comment about a “small irritating Irishman” about? Eh?

dunno if you were watching rugby back then

🙄 I know you’re still smarting over your last piece of bollocks whinging about the breakdown, but really…

anagallis_arvensis

To dismiss him as “pish” is simply nonsense

obviously that is true, he is a fine international player, but he isnt a Lions test standard player or a world class player. He has a glaring weakness that is ruthlessly exploited at the top level especially when playing behind a pack not in control of the game.

Viewing 40 posts - 601 through 640 (of 4,700 total)

The topic ‘Rugby world cup’ is closed to new replies.