Viewing 40 posts - 4,721 through 4,760 (of 6,096 total)
  • Rugby thread 2016/2017
  • dantsw13

Like I said 🙁

DezB
    Free Member

That’s what they do.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Good score

dantsw13

So why can’t Marler move forward when not held? Ref says ” you were off your feet” irrelevant surely?

dantsw13

Too much dross from the Lions today.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

If your off you feet he has to release the ball and pick it up again.

Well done to the Blues totally deserved

dantsw13

Best looking like when he first played for the Lions. George has a big opportunity next game.

DezB
    Free Member

Lions played better than I expected tbh. Crusaders is a scary thought now.

dantsw13

Melon, but he was never tackled.

dantsw13

We definitely lost a game we could have won there. Our backs were ” owned” though.

DezB
    Free Member

Nice words for Parsons at the end there – We were lucky to catch them early in the tour…

dantsw13

Yes, the big difference between kiwis & Aussies!!!

lycanthropefailed
    Free Member

1 to 9 good, beyond that we didn’t look threatening at all. Itoje was excellent. Need to work on the wide defence, Nowell and 1/2p seemed to be working to different plans in defence.

Pigface
    Free Member

Going to be a long tour

lycanthropefailed
    Free Member

Did Biggar go off for a head injury ? If he did then he’s out of training for a minimum of 2 weeks and won’t play for 19 days at best. That’s assuming that they follow the normal return to play guidelines.

anagallis_arvensis

Biggar looked like he got a bang to the head un a tackle just before the try that wasnt. He went straight out to the wing hence Daly taking the clearing kick just before.

anagallis_arvensis

Nowell and 1/2p seemed to be working to different plans in defence.

I’m not sure Nowell had a olan

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Melon, but he was never tackled.

It’s a while since I played but if you are on the deck you must release and gather if you want to continue.

All 4 props had a good game, Mc Grath in particular got through a lot of work. Love Sinkler’s enthusiasm as well.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Going to be a long tour

Isn’t that what we all knew already? They’ve just lost to the worst NZ SR team…Saturday looks like a tall ask. There was little or no flair from the backs; we were out scored three tries to one.

wrecker
    Free Member

Oh dear.

anagallis_arvensis

Only saw the first 50. Front row were good, second row good but gave away a few unnecessary pens, Stander good but Hask and Tips ineffective. Webb started brightly, Biggar was OK, Sexton poor. Henshaw and Payne shite, Nowell awful, Daly did best with what came his way and 1/2p was 1/2p scampered around tidying shit up, kicked goals but nothing in attack.
    Overall its progress and whilst a win would be nice anyone who expected it either hasnt looked at the schedule or payed much attention to Gatlands coaching before. He uses such games to plan and prepare, had they wanted to simply win they could have kicked to the corners and mauled them to death.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Despite the dodgy TMO the Lions were deserved losers.

The pack gained equality, if not the upper hand, but didn’t really generate much go-forward momentum. The backs were pedestrian.

Nowell has never had any pace and Ioane burned him off easily over a short distance. He’s already cemented his place in the midweek side for the rest of the tour with a hapless all round display. Halfpenny surely has too? Ihaia West went round him as if he were a garden gnome.

West is quick but he’s not THAT quick – the chasing Lions looked like they were running in treacle.

The NZ franchises have fullbacks like Smith, Dagg, Havili, McKenzie and Jordie Barrett who are lethal running kicks back. We have Halfpenny. We also have Hogg who can be great or can be like he was on Saturday.

Best can’t throw in and Owens missed one too. Hartley should be there.

The icing on the cake was – we’re 6pts down with 4 mins to go, let’s bring on Laidlaw……..

The Crusaders are a MUCH better side than the Blues. The Lions will have a very different (hopefully better) lineup but it’s gonna be tough.

Positives? Well it was nice to see SBW hitting some form after a slow season.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Overall it’s progress

Is it?

I suppose if compiling a list of players that can be LEFT OUT of the test matches is progress – then it’s progress.

anagallis_arvensis

Of course it was progress they looked much better organised than the last game. You cannot expect a scratch team to suddenly just gel and player stella rugby. I’m no Gatland fan but no group of individuals could be pulled together in the time he’s had and expect to beat good teams. As it was they lost to a lucky try from SBW and a couple of defensive errors on the first try (Hask and Nowell) these things happen with scratch sides. Didnt see the third.

Best can’t throw in and Owens missed one too. Hartley should be there.

I thought Owens arrows were good early on, did it go awry when the subs came on? Miss communication? Again its time and games they need.
    Saturdays team should be stronger only 2 of todays are likely test starters (MGrath and Itoje).

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Didnt see the third.

There ya go

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rSkXcBy3O8[/video]

anagallis_arvensis

Nice, not sure we can blame 1/2p for that though as suggested above! Itoje went for the wrong man.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Owens did throw well but threw one not straight later. The Best came on, we kicked to the corner in the dying seconds and he overthrew it.

Bear in mind this was the fifth best NZ franchise. It wasn’t just the scratch team vs the organised team conundrum. It was the better basic skills and superior attacking mindset allied with a bit of pace vs the opposite – kind of conundrum.

anagallis_arvensis

It was the better basic skills and superior attacking mindset allied with a bit of pace vs the opposite kind of conundrum.

I dont agree, that final try was another individual error Itoje didnt trust POM who he hasnt played with before and opened the hole. Its an error of not sticking to the system.

I realise every one else wants doom and gloom and to blame Gatland but I think we need to wait and see.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I realise every one else wants doom and gloom and to blame Gatland

I don’t blame Gatland. That game illustrates that the Kiwis have better players than we do. That’s not his fault.

The Lions will get better but the the question is – will it be enough?

anagallis_arvensis

The Lions will get better but the the question is – will it be enough

No, but we knew that ages ago!!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

No, but we knew that ages ago!!

Who’s the doom & gloom merchant now? 😉

DezB
    Free Member

the Kiwis have better players than we do

Better players, in better teams that have been playing together for a good few seasons in some, if not most, cases.
    NZ are at a real peak at the moment, so many incredible players. Look at the bottom of the table team, the players they have – it really is a Lions tour on a hiding to nothing.

anagallis_arvensis

I still think the tests will be close ish.

wrecker
    Free Member

Just watched SBW’s 73min try in slow mo. No’s 22 and 20 Lions (whoever they were) and 1/2p (who’s attempt at a tackle was pathetic) are on the hook for that one.

dantsw13

22 was Sexton

dantsw13

It’s a shame there isn’t a reliably solid English 15 that could be on tour.

anagallis_arvensis

Just watched SBW’s 73min try in slow mo. No’s 22 and 20 Lions (whoever they were) and 1/2p (who’s attempt at a tackle was pathetic) are on the hook for that one.

Fantastic analysis. Not only did you get the scorer wrong but everything else was pretty much wrong too.

wrecker
    Free Member

Ah, it was the other fella. I’m correct on every other account though. 1/2P’s “tackle” was token attempt at best. Shameful.

anagallis_arvensis

It was Itoje error that led to the try he opened the gap for SBW to run through. POM the number 20 you should recognise he’s the bloke that destroyed England at the end of the six nations!! As for the fullback getting done well that is a 1 in ten tackle at best whoever is at fullback. Centre field a fast balanced runner coming at you whilst you are covering across very little chance.

anagallis_arvensis

I guess the first try was 1/2ps fault too!!!
    [video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yvZALBB8u1U[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 4,721 through 4,760 (of 6,096 total)

The topic ‘Rugby thread 2016/2017’ is closed to new replies.