Viewing 40 posts - 4,761 through 4,800 (of 6,096 total)
  • Rugby thread 2016/2017
  • wrecker
    Free Member

No, SBW ran a great line, and itoge and POM were at least partially blocked. West ran straight through Sexton, POM (shame he couldn’t do some destroying today) and HP didn’t even bother.
    I’m sure you’ll continue to blame the english players as long as they are on the field though, just as you have done so far (Hask, Nowell and Itoge are the only players you have blamed so far, apparently Biggar was OK and HP blameless……..)
    Gatland and his team don’t have the talent to compete in this tour.

lycanthropefailed
    Free Member

Not sure I’d put West’s try down to a simple error, I thought it was well worked. A straight-forward overload, runner from deep inside Itoje and runner from the line just outside in the gap between Itoje and POM. Itoje chose the outside man (most players will do that rather than turn their shoulders in), but if he had gone inside it would have needed a very big hit to stop the offload. Maybe Itoje and the rest of the line should have been tighter to pick up that sort of run, but they had been exposed on the flanks several times during the match.

lycanthropefailed
    Free Member

Oops, just realised my comment is a bit ambiguous. I don’t think that there are any runners inside Itoje, deep or otherwise. 🙂

lycanthropefailed
    Free Member

1st try was just an overlap, Nowell came in to try and cut it off but didn’t get close so poor judgement. Not sure why HP got there as late as he did though because most of the game ( and in the 1st match) the lions seemed to be using the fullback to cover the outside channel in situations like that. Nowell should have known the cover was not there though and tried to buy time by drifting.

DanW
    Free Member

As for the fullback getting done well that is a 1 in ten tackle at best whoever is at fullback. Centre field a fast balanced runner coming at you whilst you are covering across very little chance.

This. He seemed to slightly gamble to one side which is all he could do in the circumstances and got skinned, same as any other defender in that situation.

DanW
    Free Member

… this is poor cover tackling as the last man for comparison 🙂

[video]https://youtu.be/jim2WaIaWsw[/video]

jambalaya
    Free Member

Didn’t see the game myself but a good friend told me Biggar and Sexton where both hopeless.

@wrecker you are quite right, we are far short of the All Blacks in terms of talent and of course can’t match them for teamwork as we are a new side.

anagallis_arvensis

Seen the rest of the game, Biggar was OK was lucky to get away with the error for the non try but as he was concussed already I’ll give him a pass. Sexton was rank and Nowell was worse. Tipuric ran around doing a lot of nothing not sure why the commentators were so favourable to him. Lawes and Itoje were very good despite a few too many pens conceded. Two props were good, Owens was OK but has little impact in the loose. Haskel lumbered around not doing much in contrast to Tips who ran about fast not doing much. Stander started quite well and faded fast.
    Less said about 12 and 13 the better.

anagallis_arvensis

DanW was that the time cronin went round Biggar? He was concussed there too…bit of a worry.

duckman

Bets on Ford getting called up? Or Priestland.

Kryton57

I’m sure you’ll continue to blame the english players as long as they are on the field

I’d have thought you’d be used to it by now…

One up Rugby, inneffective. Gatland won’t offer much more. Doomed.

anagallis_arvensis

Oh do **** off and read what I wrote you bunch of precious numpties.
    Maybe if you had a vague understanding of the game you could realise that the last try was not 1/2ps fault. By all means be critical of the bloke for being little threat in attack and losing the ball in contact just try and base it on what you see. Or just think about what you have written about all the non english players before you criticise me.
    Also while you are on try learning what some non english player look like before you take the time to criticise them.

One up Rugby, inneffective. Gatland won’t offer much more. Doomed.

Dont watch it then, maybe do a DD and ignore the whole thing if you are so convinced its awful. Just keep your daft ill informed comments to yourself.

Bets on Ford getting called up? Or Priestland

Priestland….no
    Ford maybe or maybe Russell
    if Biggar will be back soon they may bring in someone from the welsh tour to Tonga to do bench cover short term. They have 3 10’s though so should be fine.

olddog

Tbh not as bad as I was expecting.

My 2 big issues.

Need to sort half back combination as it’s killing attacking play in backs.

Defensive lines in backs more difficult problem. Nowell either didn’t get the memo or the drift isn’t doing what it’s supposed to. If don’t get this sorted going ship a lot of tries.

Saturday will be interesting, am already becoming a bit obsessed.

Sit with Kiwi and a Welsh blokes at work, good for a bit of patisan banter

anagallis_arvensis

Defensive lines in backs more difficult problem. Nowell either didn’t get the memo or the drift isn’t doing what it’s supposed to. If don’t get this sorted going ship a lot of tries

It just needs time in training. The problem for him is that his game then fell apart he dropped an easy pass and rushed out of the line to tackle Iaone (sp?) later on and missed again.
    Loopy Liam was back to his Loopy worst too. Lucky to be picked although they are starting everyone in at least one game.

Lions squad to play Crusaders:

Team: S Hogg; G North, J Davies; B Te’o, L Williams; O Farrell; C Murray; M Vunipola, J George, T Furlong; AW Jones (capt), G Kruis; P O’Mahony, S O’Brien, T Faletau

Replacements: K Owens, J McGrath, D Cole, M Itoje, CJ Stander, R Webb, J Sexton, A Watson

Looks strong. Shame Sexton is playing so poorly as with Faz at 10 our options at 12 are limited. I cant stand Teo but he looks the best bet at 12 although not with Davies at 13. Would like to see Daly get a chance at 13 if not Teo and Joseph it is.

DanW
    Free Member

The Cronin one was after a bump to the head. When I was watching both Biggar and Sexton play the amount of recent knocks was the first thing in my mind. Hard to know if it is just poor form or if they would be better with rest

jambalaya
    Free Member

@aa thanks, I hear Biggars tour is over. Now I am clearly not a sportsman at this level but if I where in Ford’s shoes I would not go. Passed over first tîme round I’d stick with England

olddog

Te’o needs to offload. Faz now owns 10. But generally I am thinking lots of good options from top drawer players in forwards. But much less confidence in backs. Hope Hogg gets his mojo going

Kryton57

Just keep your daft ill informed comments to yourself.

Calm down dear.

Its obvious to anyone who watch the game – the Lions backs are playing like NH backs, for the most part single runners, passing along the line, no support and no invention, whereas the Kiwis are the opposite plus pace. Howley has been criticised for the Welsh lack of invention, Gatland for his one dimensional play, so would you suddenly expect this to change?

“Play to thier strengths in the set piece” the media says. Well, thats fine when there is one.

Teo might break more but he needs the support runners he was looking for last week. 1/2p and Nowell need to make tackles. The England and Irish props looking good, Itoje, Laws and Wynn Jones the test locks most likely.

DezB
    Free Member

Maybe if you had a vague understanding of the game

Shit thread back to form I see. **** this you lot bicker amongst yourselves.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

C’mon guys. It’s the Standar Life Investment Lions here. They’ll only love it if we all start fighting amongst ourselves. 🙂

Kryton57

Lol.

Actually i think its only AA arguing with his alter ego the rest of us are talking about the Rugby. @ AA: 😉

anagallis_arvensis

@aa thanks, I hear Biggars tour is over. Now I am clearly not a sportsman at this level but if I where in Ford’s shoes I would not go. Passed over first tîme round I’d stick with England

The Power of Four!!!

anagallis_arvensis

Wynn Jones

Its Jones….

Kryton57

Apologies, I don’t speak Welsh.

Kryton57

anagallis_arvensis – Member

@aa
    thanks, I hear Biggars tour is over. Now I am clearly not a sportsman at this level but if I where in Ford’s shoes I would not go. Passed over first tîme round I’d stick with England
    The Power of Four!!!

Oh c’mon its obvious, Cips is already on the plane – an attacking maverick play maker would be perfect…

DanW
    Free Member

Still think trying to manufacture a team to play like the AB’s is a hiding to nothing

Pick the biggest, ugliest pack and some solid opportunist backs, play smart and go from there (ie England).

If Farrell does indeed become the choice 10 then the backs become irrelevant anyway…

… I can’t believe I’m even thinking it but Ford 10/ Farrell 12 wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world at this point 😯 😳

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Crusaders Team to face Lions:

Crusaders: Israel Dagg; Seta Tamanivalu, Jack Goodhue, David Havili, George Bridge; Richie Mo’unga, Bryn Hall; Joe Moody, Codie Taylor, Owen Franks; Luke Romano, Sam Whitelock (C); Heiden Bedwell-Curtis, Matt Todd, Jordan Taufua.

Reps: Ben Funnell, Wyatt Crockett, Michael Alaalatoa, Quinten Strange, Jed Brown, Mitchell Drummond, Mitchell Hunt, Tim Bateman.

The excellent Ryan Crotty is injured so Havili moves to 12 from 15. Nothing much there to worry us……

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Maori Squad to face the Lions on the 17th

M?ori All Blacks squad:

Forwards: Chris Eves (North Harbour), Kane Hames (Tasman), Mike Kainga (Taranaki), Ben May (Hawke’s Bay), Marcel Renata (Auckland), Ash Dixon (captain, Hawke’s Bay ), Hikawera Elliot (Counties Manukau), Tom Franklin (Otago), Leighton Price (Taranaki), Joe Wheeler (Tasman), Elliot Dixon (Southland), Akira Ioane (Auckland), Liam Messam (Waikato), Reed Prinsep (Canterbury), Kara Pryor (Northland).

Backs: Bryn Hall (North Harbour), Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi (Taranaki), Otere Black (Manawatu), Ihaia West (Hawke’s Bay), Tim Bateman (Canterbury), Charlie Ngatai (Taranaki), Matt Proctor (Wellington), Rob Thompson (Canterbury), James Lowe (Tasman) Damian McKenzie (Waikato), Nehe Milner-Skudder (Manawatu), Declan O’Donnell (Taranaki).

Nothing much there to worry us either…

namastebuzz
    Free Member

ABs Squad:

Props: Wyatt Crockett, Charlie Faumuina, Owen Franks, Joe Moody, Ofa Tu’ungafasi Hookers: Dane Coles, Codie Taylor, Nathan Harris

Locks: Scott Barrett, Brodie Retallick, Luke Romano, Sam Whitelock

Loose forwards: Sam Cane, Jerome Kaino, Kieran Read (captain), Ardie Savea, Liam Squire

Scrum-halves: Tawera Kerr-Barlow, TJ Perenara, Aaron Smith

Fly-halves: Beauden Barrett, Aaron Cruden, Lima Sopoaga

Centres: Ryan Crotty, Ngani Laumape, Anton Leinert-Brown, Sonny Bill Williams

Outside backs: Jordie Barrett, Israel Dagg, Rieko Ioane, Waisake Naholo, Julian Savea, Ben Smith

Milner-Skudder hasn’t played enough yet. Damian McKenzie’s time may come once he moves to 10 for the Chiefs. Both get a run-out with the Maoris. The perennially unfortunate Matt Todd misses out again even though Read,Kaino and Squire have all been injured. Coles is included but he’s unlikely to play.

Again, nothing there to really worry us….. 😯

anagallis_arvensis

I thought Ben Smith was injured my fav all black. Awesome player

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Still think trying to manufacture a team to play like the AB’s is a hiding to nothing

Pick the biggest, ugliest pack and some solid opportunist backs, play smart and go from there (ie England).

I think I did suggest picking the whole England squad plus George North, Stuart Hogg, Sam Warburton and Peter O’Mahony or similar.

anagallis_arvensis

Apologies, I don’t speak Welsh.

I dont either I just know his name because I follow rugby. Do you also ignore the names of any Moari All Blacks too?
    I suppose if its not Wilkinson you dont know it.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I thought Ben Smith was injured my fav all black. Awesome player

Yeah he banged his head on the ground in the Highlanders’last game and failed the concussion protocol but he seems to be on track to recover quickly.

I think he’s brilliant too but I’m an Israel Dagg fan. He’s been a bit unlucky with injuries but I think he has most of Smith’s skill set along with a bigger boot and better distribution (he often plays at first receiver for the Crusaders). Plus he has a knack of scoring tries in big games. Not a bad choice to have to make. They’ll probably go with Smith at 15 and Dagg at 14. Dagg’s defensive positioning, high ball prowess and decision making ability is vastly superior to Savea/Naholo so one of them will be the “power winger”.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Do you also ignore the names of any Moari All Blacks too?

It’s M-A-O-R-I actually.

I guess you don’t speak Maori? 😆

anagallis_arvensis

I think I did suggest picking the whole England squad plus George North, Stuart Hogg, Sam Warburton and Peter O’Mahony or similar.

Plus some Irish Props and Talupe now Vunipolas broke.

Namaste its hard to say who is a better 15 between Dagg and Smith but I just love watching Smith play. He just does the simple things so so well. One will play 14 though I expect and I think Smith is the better winger.

anagallis_arvensis

I guess you don’t speak Maori?

😆

BruceWee

Please don’t call up Russell. His unique brand of WTF style play will not suit the Lions and he will be much more use to Scotland playing with Ali Price.

Just let Hogg have a crack at fly half if you must.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Just let Hogg have a crack at fly half if you must.

Bruce! You’re back!

I thought you weren’t supporting the Lions?

Does the possible inclusion of Russell bring the Lions above the (as yet unrevealed) minimum number of Scots required for you to join your fellow Brits and Irishmen as a true Lions supporter?

😉

dantsw13

How big an issue do we think “end of season fatigue” is for the Lions? I know the NZ teams make anyone look sluggish, but still……

anagallis_arvensis

Some players like Sexton look like they are done for the season.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,761 through 4,800 (of 6,096 total)

The topic ‘Rugby thread 2016/2017’ is closed to new replies.