Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 6,096 total)
  • Rugby thread 2016/2017
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Seems about time to start a new season thread, predictions for coming year, england to dominate and win GS again. It pains me to say that.

Wales to tread water, Ospreys best region but won’t set the world alight.

Kiwis to win 7’s in the Olympics, don’t even know who is playing for GB

anagallis_arvensis

That Fijian bloke Hughes in England training squad.
    Owen Watkin was rested for U20 world cup and now has torn his acl in preason big blow for him and Ospreys.
    This lad has some pace!
    [video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_qpcVgPAhHk[/video]

wrecker
    Free Member

That Fijian bloke Hughes in England training squad.

Well that didn’t take long!
    Looking forward to seeing Bris finally in the prem with a bit of trepidation. Nice to see that they have retained a lot of the players who earned us promotion, and very happy that Holley has gone.

DanW
    Free Member

Ospreys best region

But have you seen the Scarlets backline… or the mighty O’s play last season 😆 In all fairness they can’t be as bad as last season

Pigface
    Free Member

Dan they will hump the dregs 😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thanks @Pigface

For me 2016 Autumn and 6N is all about Lions and squad selection. I have a good feeling England will take another step forward, whether than means another Grand Slam I am not sure but would imagine so, not least as opposition still going backwards too I think.

Bath to toughen up and be a threat again, I think new Kiwi head coach will deliver

European group stage has Saracens and Toulon in the same pool. Ouch.

French Top 14 starts on August 20th always seems incredibly early.

As for Lions anyone know when coach and tour dates will be announced ?

wrecker
    Free Member

Why the hell isn’t Henry Mallinder in the elite squad?!?!

DezB
    Free Member

Should the Hurricanes v Lions final go in the old thread? Going to be some match on Saturday, can’t wait.

tinybits
    Free Member

wrecker – no idea, he’s looked the business when I’ve seen him play!
    Will Evans could be a great #7 though, defiantly worth having. Nathen Hughes could also be imense. No doubt at all that he’s English
    Like the look of what Eddie is doing with the squad, certainly looks like he’s got a bit of a plan.

Pigface
    Free Member

Wrecker how do you see Bristle going this year?

Blackadder for Bath has to be better that Ford if only for the comedy value of his name.

Jones doesnt like Burrell or Ashton by the looks of it.

andermt
    Free Member

Ref Mallinder, saw a comment somewhere that apparently Jones has said he needs to settle on a position before he will be selected.

Disagree with Jambalaya, I don’t think Bath will be anywhere this season, lost a number of good players and Blackadder is arriving too late.

Think the top 4 will be the same as last season, Sarries, Chiefs, Wasps & Tigers. Although possibly not in that order.

anagallis_arvensis

Like the look of what Eddie is doing with the squad, certainly looks like he’s got a bit of a plan.

Which is?

ekul
    Free Member

I’m also going to have to disagree with Jamba re. Bath. Sure I read somewhere that they only have something like 13/14 backs in the squad. That’s nowhere near enough when injuries and international call ups are taken into account, and its not as though they’ve loads of time to recruit quality new players. Interested to see what Blackadder can do with them but I can’t see them being up to too much this year.

Glad Sale have managed to keep hold of the likes of Beaumont, Haley etc. so they can hopefully press on from last season.

If Wasps can get consistent front foot ball their backline should be scoring for fun. They don’t look up to much defensively so it’s almost like they’re saying “We’re going to score 30, its up to you to keep up”.

Sarries are Sarries and will still be the team to beat. Tigers could well be on the rise again. And Exeter will continue to impress.

In my mind its still Sarries’ to lose but behind them there will be a hell of a battle.

wrecker
    Free Member

Wrecker how do you see Bristle going this year?

I we can win 6 games, it’s likely that we’ll stay up. We have some class in the squad too, a few internationals. It’ll be close, but I fancy our chances over Newcastle and Worcester. Don’t tell stoner that though, he’ll shit a brick!

anagallis_arvensis

Henson back in the top flight, what could possibly go wrong!

wrecker
    Free Member

I think he’ll be used sparingly. We have Pisi and the young Sheedy as tens (who kept Gav out of the team for the finals) and Will Hurrell, who is likely to play a big role at 12. Hopefully we can do Ok until Jan so we can make some signings.

anagallis_arvensis

who kept Gav out of the team for the finals

I though he was broke? I expect he might not play too much though. Wonder if Ian Evans will step up he would still be a massive asset to Wales if fit seeing as how he is a good middle lineout jumper.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Jones doesn’t like Burrell or Ashton by the looks of it.

I think Ashton burnt his bridges somewhat by throwing his toys out of the pram when he was selected for the Saxons. He also hasn’t worked on his failings really. I think his time is done.

Burrell didn’t do well in his 30 mins in Australia so it’s not a surprise. Case of good prem player not so good international (maybe).

It’s good to see some of the of U20’s getting called up although not calling Mallinder up is interesting because he did look a cut above the rest when I went to what the U20’s final. He looks more like a 12 than a 10 but it’s probably right that he selects a position first. If he has another good season with the Saints he’ll be hard to ignore.

anagallis_arvensis

I expect they want Mallinder to fill out a bit first too. You either need to be quick or powerful at international level to go with the soft skills he has.

tinybits
    Free Member

Yes, at 6’5″ and 17st he’s nothing like big enough yet!

Suspect it’s more to do with who else is currently in the positions he’s currently getting picked for, that he’s not a starter in one position yet and not experienced enough to cover several.
    Give him 6months.

Pigface
    Free Member

No rush with Malinder, as said he needs to find his best position, the england backs seemed to work well in Australia.

spawnofyorkshire

Suspect it’s more to do with who else is currently in the positions he’s currently getting picked for, that he’s not a starter in one position yet and not experienced enough to cover several.
    Give him 6months

^That

Mallinder is only 20 and has plenty of time to develop, a few matches in the Saxons won’t hurt. If he does settle on either 10 or 12 he’s then got to displace Ford or Farrell and neither are particulary shabby players.

RE: Ashton and the teddy throwing. Can understand his frustration, but as others have mentioned he’s not fixed his failings. He still becomes a ghost when on defence

anagallis_arvensis

Yes, at 6’5″ and 17st he’s nothing like big enough yet!

For modern internationals thats still beanpole territory. He would seriously need to address his body position going into contact to play 12 for England. Cant see him at 10, no matter how good a player he is, and he looks very talented, he is going to struggle to get kicks away fast enough with such long arms and legs. by the way wikipedia suggest Jamie Roberts is 6’4″ and 17.5st, dont think Mallinder is anywhere near as solidly built (quicker and more skillful though).

wrecker
    Free Member

Gav was fit for the final, according to the man himself, he couldn’t get into the team.
    Mallinder is plenty big enough, he’s built like a bloody outhouse. He only played 10 in the JRWC due to an injury, most of his games have been at 15 for saints, not 12.

mindmap3
    Free Member

For modern internationals thats still beanpole territory. He would seriously need to address his body position going into contact to play 12 for England. Cant see him at 10, no matter how good a player he is, and he looks very talented, he is going to struggle to get kicks away fast enough with such long arms and legs. by the way wikipedia suggest Jamie Roberts is 6’4″ and 17.5st, dont think Mallinder is anywhere near as solidly built (quicker and more skillful though).

I think some of the club websites are slightly generous with the player stats.

I don’t think he’ll settle at 10; he looks more like a 12 to me too. Another season in the Saxons won’t do him any harm. Too often a player is heralded at the next great white hope, has a bad game or two or has ‘second season syndrome’ and is discarded. Farrell isn’t the long term answer but it’s going to take some shifting him if he keeps playing well.

tjagain

Well for Scottish rugby its looking like another year of hopeless optimism followed by doom and gloom.

Glasgow – in the main event in Europe but with a pool of death so euro glory is likely to be short lived. Should be there or thereabout for the league but not as strong as last year. They seem to have recruited well with a couple of wildcard signings.

Edinburgh in the minnows euro cup- realistic aims of making top six in the league next season. Maybe even top 4. the finally have a couple of fly halves having not had one most of last season including Duncan “Meatball” Weir

National side?
    Last season was very much a mixed bag. Next year the team will be older and wiser. We have yet to see the best of this team but its time to start achieving something. Lookout for Peter Horne

I don’t expect or want many scots to go on the lions tour. I guess it will be based mainly around the english team who I expect to win the 6N Unless of course Gatland is coach again
    *pulls pin and retreats*

tjagain

Also of course look out for “Ickle” Jonny Gray. Superb athlete. Did not miss a single tackle all year – and only two last season. Regularly tops the tackle count as well

spawnofyorkshire

look out for “Ickle” Jonny Gray. Superb athlete.

Love watching him play (except against England). Quality player

Eddie Jones would be a good lions coach. Very much doubt there’d be nepotism in his team selections.

Regardless of who’s in charge of the lions, what’s the odds on Haskell and Robshaw getting a nod this time if they can match their physicality of the 6N GS and Oz tests?

anagallis_arvensis

Eddie wouldnt be released by england, Gatland has a release clause. Its Gatlands to lose.

tjagain

Rob Baxter would be my call. Toonie as his assistant

anagallis_arvensis

Pro12 to be disbanded.

http://theeastterrace.typepad.com

The late cancellation of the main domestic league in Wales, Ireland, Scotland and Italy will likely have a very minor impact on at least 10,023 fans who were “kind of” looking forward for something to do in the winter months if there was nothing else on. The impact on the wider rugby watching community – denied the chance to watch Treviso play the Newport Gwent Dragons twice a year – is also expected to be limited.

loum
    Free Member

“Honest, We thought it had been cancelled…”

Seem to recall this excuse getting trotted out annually when the Welsh teams don’t turn up…

anagallis_arvensis

Its not that the welsh teams dont turn up its just that the other teams are better, well apart from the Italians.

DanW
    Free Member

Pro12 to be disbanded.

S4C would lose their only programs with any viewers too 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

Come on Dan I know you are huge fan of Rasus 😆

Met my Bath RFC insider yesterday, squad just got back from Portugal and nobody has met Blackadder, from all accounts the club is much happier than this time last year.

duckman

TJagain! Can it be?

anagallis_arvensis

I’m not convinced, he didnt predict a Scottish Grand Slam!!

duckman

Thank God for helmets! Lifesavers. ( that should smoke him out)

tjagain

Shhhusshhhhh I’m in deep cover

Pigface
    Free Member

😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 6,096 total)

The topic ‘Rugby thread 2016/2017’ is closed to new replies.