Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 2,190 total)
  • Rugby 2020 – 2021 Season
  • bigblackshed

Also french squad 10 tested +ve now. and 4 staff.

Well, that’s not good news. By Thursday they will be struggling to field a team, the decision arguments will then be will the game be forfeited or postponed?

Autumn 6N anyone?

5plusn8
    Free Member

I’d prefer autumn.

onehundredthidiot

Guardian just posted “match in doubt” yes I get the infectious nature but if no more positives between now and Friday then is it any different to having a load of unfortunate injuries?

Obviously I’m just trying to avoid a potential humiliation but playing preferably a U18 scratch french squad.

tjagain

Its reaching the point where to me it needs to be postponed simply not to devalue the tournament. Much as i want an away win for Scotland I do not want it against a badly weakened team

loum
    Free Member

Lose more front rowers and it’ll need to be unopposed scrums.

French will still win 😉

tjagain

One problem with postponing it is when? We have players in France and England where the clubs will not release them outside of international windows

TimP
    Free Member

Next week is a fallow week so some players may be cleared by then?

tjagain

Yes but All the scots players who play outside of scotland would be unavailable. Russell, Hogg, JGray, Skinner, Bayliss, etc etc. that would be unfair on Scotland

69er_Gav
    Free Member

I was under the impression the postponed games would be attempted during the fallow weekends as TimP suggests. Fingers crossed

onehundredthidiot

There were England bubble players not playing at the weekend but Scotland and Welsh Gallagher league players playing.
    Makes the bubbles a bit silly. Also those players will be more fatigued.

IdleJon

tjagain
    One problem with postponing it is when?

IdleJon
    My 17 year old daughter who doesn’t watch rugby asked me if there are ‘overrun’ weekends provisionally booked in case of problems with Covid. It’s not ideal but why would they not pencil this in?

From several pages ago. It was bound to happen – why would they not have some contingency planned?

onehundredthidiot

No contingency needed players will be bubbled/follow strict protocols. Everyone will be sensible and safe.

I know.

gauss1777
    Free Member

that would be unfair on Scotland

After what happened during the World Cup and supposedly Scotland planning to appeal the length of Fagerson’s ban, I expect Scotland have got their lawyers warming up already.

onehundredthidiot

In retrospect it should go ahead. If strict protocols were followed then spread should have been minimised in the squad.
    Scotland would be punished by delays France would not be and given its their squad that have messed up then they should be the ones to suffer.
    Or turn the competition off this weekend with no national squad training and restart in autumn with all players available.

gordimhor

There was a similar incident earlier this season Glasgow played Exeter. Glasgow were unhappy at what they regarded as breaches of covid protocols amongst Exeter players and staff some of whom later tested positive. Glasgow players later tested positive they were unable to fulfil a European fixture and forfeited the match 24-0
    I https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/glasgow-take-aim-at-exeter-over-covid-19-protocol-breaches/633935

I don’t think that it’s good for the tournament but can’t see any justification for changing the procedure should France be unable to fulfil the fixture this weekend.
    Edited

onehundredthidiot

Seemed this past weekend that all England squad players were not back at clubs but other nations were. That would really mess a delay to the competition if English clubs didn’t release players to teams, especially are RFU seem to have the clout to have England players off the playing rota.

tjagain

the PRL extorted the RFU into paying for extended player release but refuse point blank to allow this to other nations even if its written into contracts and the clubs are happy to do so

the RFU do not have the clout hence the massive payments to secure release

TimP
    Free Member

So what is going on with Fagerson? Looks like his appeal was heard yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon but I can’t see any outcomes

BruceWee

So what is going on with Fagerson? Looks like his appeal was heard yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon but I can’t see any outcomes

They keep breaking their calculators trying to tot up how many weeks to add onto his ban.

tjagain

Scotland / France game is on ( apparently)

gauss1777
    Free Member

Scotland / France game is on ( apparently)

Excellent!
    C’mon Scotland 😀

5plusn8
    Free Member

did anyone see this Nigel Owens opinion on Fagerson/POM

Luckily there are subtitles otherwise Anagallis would need to get his welsh knot on.

tjagain

European cup has been simplified again. A 16 team knockout. same for the minnows cup

I guess it makes some sort of sense

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56184748

5plusn8
    Free Member

France cancel todays training after another player tests positive.

https://www.facebook.com/201838479917171/posts/3257129174388071/

Google translate:

Update on the health situation of #XVdeFrance
    Following the RT-PCR tests carried out this Wednesday, February 24 and the appearance of a positive case in the player s’ strength, the FFR Medical Committee met this morning and decided to suspend training today.
    The whole group is in isolation in accordance with the health protocol. The FFR is closely linked to the Six Nations Committe

onehundredthidiot

Apparently another french player has returned a positive covid test.

Time to call it and award win to Scotland.

duckman

They will postpone it,the games have to be played for the TV.Unfortunately for us that means a week outside of the agreed timetable so no international release for anybody in England or France. That will be a sore one for us.

Kryton57

England:

15. Elliot Daly
    14. Anthony Watson
    13. Henry Slade
    12. Owen Farrell
    11. Jonny May
    10. George Ford
    9. Ben Youngs
    1. Mako Vunipola
    2. Jamie George
    3. Kyle Sinckler
    4. Maro Itoje
    5. Jonny Hill
    6. Mark Wilson
    7. Tom Curry
    8. Billy Vunipola
    FINISHERS
    16. Luke Cowan-Dickie
    17. Ellis Genge
    18. Will Stuart )
    19. Charlie Ewels
    20. George Martin
    21. Ben Earl
    22. Dan Robson
    23. Max Malins

Glad to see Ford at 10 after I watched Squides video, but WTF did Lawes do to get dropped? He was on social media just yesterday saying he was looking to get stuck in to Biggar!

5plusn8
    Free Member

Max Malins, whilst he has potential, are we sure he’s ready?
    I thought he looked a bit lost last game, he was on at the end.

tjagain

If they postpone it to next week it will make little differnce to the infection risk and without world rugby ensuring player release it would be a farce. Postponement should be until after the season or next autumn

onehundredthidiot

We’ll end up playing full strength France against a second XV Scotland. We’ll go from 2nd on the table to 5th in defeat and points difference.

Twodogs

it is postponed..date tba

sofaboy73
    Free Member

welsh team for Saturday

Liam Williams; Louis Rees-Zammit, George North, Jonathan Davies, Josh Adams; Dan Biggar, Kieran Hardy; Wyn Jones, Ken Owens, Tomas Francis, Adam Beard, Alun Wyn Jones (capt), Josh Navidi, Justin Tipuric, Taulupe Faletau.

Replacements: Elliot Dee, Rhodri Jones, Leon Brown, Cory Hill, James Botham, Gareth Davies, Callum Sheedy, Willis Halaholo

the backs look like an exciting attacking threat, although perhaps a little defensively weak?. little surpised that JD2 got the start as well, given recent injuries / lack of game time? would of preferred to see sheedy start, but guess they’ve gone with bigs for kicking

5plusn8
    Free Member

perhaps a little defensively weak?.

Who are you concerned about. I don’t know much about Zammit but the others are all good defenders, North and JD2 are like brick walls. I don’t watch much club so dunno about Adams that much either. He’s good isn’t he?
    I’m not looking forward to this, its going to be bigger scoreline so even more embarrassing than losing to Scotland.
    I’m gonna refresh my Irish passport and become a plastic paddy at least they lost with a red card against wales, and against the fantastic French.

Kryton57

Jonathan Davies and Josh Adams included reputation rather than form maybe? Lucky we don’t have any proper 12’s running at them. I’ll be surprised if Navidi lasts long, surely an injury risk?

Equally I’m concerned about Daly vs Rees-Zammit, Daly will be targeted in a foot race with a kick over I feel.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Rees-Zammit, Daly will be targeted in a foot race with a kick over I feel.

Oh God I’ve just imagined this. Cringe.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Who are you concerned about.

lack of 1/2p covering the space behind / under the high ball. Liam’s good, and a more attacking threat than 1/2p, but he also has a tendency to be a little reckless. north’s defensive work, although better than it was can also blow a little hot and cold imho. LRZ will get targeted by england, and although i’m not saying he’s bad in defence, he’s just got a lot to learn so will be a big test. if we let england have as much possession as we did against scotland & ireland, it could be a long afternoon

Kryton57

it could be a long afternoon

Only if England use this new vs Italy shape to vary the attack. Hopefully we’ve learned our lesson with Scotland in that running at forwards and kicking to Williams & Zammit all afternoon is likely losing strategy.

Having set that, I think England likely have a more settled set piece first 60 mins.

5plusn8
    Free Member

lack of 1/2p covering the space behind / under the high ball. Liam’s good, and a more attacking threat than 1/2p,

Perception is a funny thing, I’m more concerned about Liams attack and forgot about how good 1/2p is. LW is pretty good under high ball when he is switched on.

if we let england have as much possession as we did against scotland & ireland

We lost it within 2 phases almost every time against Scotland.

tjagain

WTF is Farrell doing at 12? Seeing that selection I have Wales as favourites. He just stops the England attack everytime and kicks the ball away. englands best attacks came in both games when they missed Farrell out

i really rate Loopy Liam – he is a more than competent defensive full back and a great attacker. I wonder tho if he will have a punch up with Farrell?

5plusn8
    Free Member

It is a lot better than having him at 10. TBH that selection is a positive for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 2,190 total)

The topic ‘Rugby 2020 – 2021 Season’ is closed to new replies.