Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • RS Pike service
  • mjsmke

Just doing a lower leg service and seal change and noticed a very faint mark on one of the stanchions from the top bushing. It is very faint and can’t feel any change in surface.

Is this a sign if bushing wear? In which case, I’ll not bother with the seal change and just send them off to TF tuned for a full service.

mjsmke

Bump

mjsmke

Anyone know? I’m thinking it might be from the bike not being used for a couple of months and the foam rings and top bushing drying out. If the bushing is fine (there’s no lateral play) I’ll just do a lower leg service and change the foam rings and dust seals.

binman

Sorry, can’t help with specifics.

But in your position I would have a nagging doubt and so get it professionally serviced

mjsmke

Yeah I tempted to send them off but only if I know the bushings need replacing. There’s no lateral play and always kept clean. Lower leg oil always comes out looking clean too.

Also, just read that if the bushings do need replacing, I’d have to buy complete lowers.

qwerty
    Free Member

TFTuned are really helpful on the phone, give them a ring and explain your predicament and they’ll see you right.

RickDraper
    Free Member

RS 35mm Pike/Lyrik lower leg bushes are not replaceable so just do a lower leg service yourself.

bigyan
    Free Member

RS 35mm Pike/Lyrik lower leg bushes are not replaceable so just do a lower leg service yourself.

RockShox dont sell them, but you can replace them with ND Tuned 35mm bushes (they also sell individual stanchions if needed)

RickDraper
    Free Member

RockShox dont sell them, but you can replace them with ND Tuned 35mm bushes (they also sell individual stanchions if needed)

I have seen them and I am not that sure about them. With them been polymer I am not sure how you can go about sizing them. You cannot massage it to tolerance like you would a PTFE bushing.

I have a supply of WSS Revelation/Pike/Lyrik bushes that are teflon coated but I haven’t had chance to put them on a fork to test. However with where they come from they are likely identical in performance to the original bushes.

jakehinton
    Free Member

What grease are you using on the internals/seals?

mjsmke

What grease are you using on the internals/seals?

I used a kit from TF tuned so know it was good quality. The bike hadn’t been used much for a couple of months though.

mjsmke

Tried changing the dust seals last night but they were the wrong ones. Had a lip so would seat into the fork fully.

I’ve booked them in to be serviced with TF tuned and left a note saying I think I’ve put the wrong seals in. Frustrating as I should have checked the seals first. Just hope there’s nothing else wrong as there’s no way I can spend anymore money.

big_scot_nanny

re. the seals – I find it a right bastard on RS forks to the get the stanchions back into the lowers past the seals. Solution for me is, just before pushing to lowers on, lift the springs off the end of the seals, slide them up the stanchions ahead of the lowers, then pop them back on once everything seated. Bob’s my uncle.

Maybe try that?

mjsmke

Solution for me is, just before pushing to lowers on, lift the springs off the end of the seals, slide them up the stanchions ahead of the lowers, then pop them back on once everything seated

Thats what I do too. But not got the correct seals and its about £40 for the correct seal kit so might as well just send them off for a proper service. It was pretty difficult to get the seals in I’ll try 3d printing a seal tool for future use while these are away.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘RS Pike service’ is closed to new replies.