Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • RS Lyriks vs Zebs
  • souster4
    Free Member

Hi guys

Tonight I had an impulse buy on the net with some Rockshox Zeb Select forks. Sadly I’ve only just realised thanks to an incorrect review (bike perfect) that the zeb select only has the RC damper and not the RC2 or 2.1
    They are brand new and had them at a good price I think.

I currently run 2018 Rockshox Lyrik rct3 forks with a 2021 air spring which work great for me.
    Pretty average rider and planned to start my first year of racing enduro at novice level but fancied something new and keep the bike up to date.

Which is the better fork? Have I made a mistake?

Not the most clued up here so apologies.

Cheers all

Superficial
    Free Member

The Zeb are bigger than the Lyrik, not necessarily better. Heavier, stiffer.

In terms of tech, your older Lyrik is probably better, so would be a better fork unless you need the added stiffness of the Zeb.

militantmandy
    Free Member

Nicer damper in the Lyrik. The Zebs run lower pressure though, which might make them feel more supple. Sell your Lyrik and buy a 2.1 damper maybe?

Onzadog
    Free Member

How much do you use the compression adjustment on the Lyrik? That’s the only thing that’s missing with the RC damper. Otherwise, I hear it’s not a bad unit.

Zeb is a stiffer, heavier chassis. Do you need that? Some lighter riders (body weight and/or riding style) have suggested the Zeb/38 chassis is too stiff.

souster4
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Very helpful.

I don’t push the bike hard at all to be honest. I dont think the added stiffness is going to be much benefit for me, and I’m not the best at jumps or slapping turns.

Dont really use the open, pedal and firm adjust much at all to be honest on the lyrik, happy with how it is and don’t mess too much.

Shame as I love the look of the Zeb, the thicker chassis looks great. But maybe they aren’t for me.

Thanks guys

militantmandy
    Free Member

How much do you use the compression adjustment on the Lyrik? That’s the only thing that’s missing with the RC damper. Otherwise, I hear it’s not a bad unit.

My understanding is that the RC is an entirely different damper, rather than just the 2.1 with less adjustment. Not to say it isn’t good though, but I’ve not tried one.

chakaping
    Free Member

What bike is it for? Sorry if I missed that.

SirHC

Sam Hill won the ews on a Lyrik.

I’ve found the zebs a bit hit and miss, very few have felt great, a mate has bought a set recently and they feel really good.

I’ve never thought a Lyrik were flexy, the latest rc2 damper and the older b1 airspring is the Ultimate Lyrik ultimate 👌

chrishc777
    Free Member

I’ve run both versions of the RC, the older bladder charger and the newer alu charger. They work fine and the difference to my RC2 on the other bike is only noticeable when pushing really hard and really rough trails.

As for Zeb vs Lyrik I’m not sold on needing that stifness for an average weight rider riding normal-ish stuff most of the time. I’m 85kg and I actually run a Pike on the enduro bike, Lyrik on the ebike but only because that’s what it came with

joebristol

The Zeb select with RC has an ifp type arrangement in the leg (like a basic Fox Grip) rather than a bladder damper like the full charger.

It’s better than motion control, worse than a full charger. From what I’ve read it’s not bad.

Vs your existing Lyrik it’s a worse damper but maybe not that much worse – I’m not sure if yours is the charger 2 or an early charger 2.1

It doesn’t sound like you need the heavier / stiffer chassis tbh – but if you like the look of it and it’ll make you feel warm inside everytime you get your bike out then who is to criticise!

You could just ride the Zeb and see how you get on with it – if you don’t ride it that hard you might not find the limitation of the damper anyway.

As I understand it, if you wanted to, further down the line you could take the ifp damper out and just bolt in a charger 2.1 rc2 damper to take it up to a full ultimate spec one anyway. Prob cost £300 ish – depending on what deals are available on the charger damper at the time.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Plenty of hard charging, not exactly light pros prefer the Lyrik for rockier, longer stages, so there’s that.

Also, if you’re wondering how a stiffer fork feels I suggest you to try torque caps if you don’t have them. Got a pair for my DT Swiss 350 a couple of months ago and the difference is considerable. I’d love to see a torsional stiffness comparison between a Lyrik with torque caps and a Zeb without them

souster4
    Free Member

Thanks everyone appreciate your input.

Not sure what damper I have in the lyric. On the right leg adjuster it’s open, pedal and firm with low speed compression inside that.

It’s a shame as the Zebs do look really good.

Cheers again

joebristol

It sounds like you have a charger 2 damper – rct3 flavour. You’ll have a lsc dial inside the 3 position damper that controls lsc when in the open setting.

gribble
    Free Member

I have a pair of ZEBs on my bike. I have reduced these to 150mm travel (or the bikes shop did) and have them up on Stumpjumper (not an Evo). I shall open myself up to the subject of ridicule, which I deserve; but they feel great, look ace and I was upgrading from a basic fork that came on the bike. They are the ones with the fancy damper. Lots of people have put ZEBs on Stumpy (non Evo models) on FB forums etc, so I’m not the only one who has made this investment.

I don’t need them. I am not that burly a rider (although I ride some steep stuff) and weigh 85kg on a good day. The forks are good but honestly I’ve heard Lyriks are also excellent and I never had a problem with my Pikes on my hardtail.

peaslaker
    Free Member

I’ve never heard good things about the Charger RC damper but I’ve never ridden one either. The self-proclaimed gurus on MTBR suspension forum claim it is dumbed down, inadequate and mis-tuned. I think everybody was hoping for a Fox Grip equivalent (which outperformed expectations) but RockShox seem determined to compromise their cheaper offerings.

RCT3 Lyrik is solid and proven. It will not hold you back in getting into Enduro and even competing at a high level. I offer that verdict from experience.

I’d stick with the Lyrik.

P-Jay
    Free Member

You might be able to swap the dampers over? Sometimes RS change thread pitches between models, but lots are interchangeable?

Failing that, you can buy a RTC3 2.1 for about €220 from Germany or the RC2 2.1 for about €300 if you don’t get on with the RC

intheborders
    Free Member

I’ve never heard good things about the Charger RC damper but I’ve never ridden one either.

My first Pike was an RC, its replacement an RCT3 – couldn’t notice a difference TBH.

But I’ve just replaced the Pike RCT3 with a Lyrik Ultimate – now I notice the difference, it’s a keeper.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘RS Lyriks vs Zebs’ is closed to new replies.