Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Routing a 45 deg bevel edge without a router table
  • dmorts

Just sounding out an idea to cut a 45 degree bevel on the end grain of wood. I’ve got a bearing guided cutter but no router table.

I think I can achieve what I want by clamping a straight edge across the piece of wood so when I’ve worked down to the final cut the bearing runs on this rather than the end grain of the wood. Does this seem plausible? The only thing is the clamp getting in the way of the router base.

I’d appreciate any other ideas if anyone has any

AlexSimon

Isn’t the standard way to do it hand-held with an edge guide for your router?

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Clamp a sacrificial piece to the end to stop splintering at the end of the run.

You could clamp a piece at either end and then clamp your bearing guide piece to that which should keep the clamp out of the way.

gummikuh

Use a bigger bit of wood for your guide?

Be careful cutting end grain with a router it can splinter and jump and kick.

Take light passes.

dmorts

I’ve realised that the bit I have will limit me to 10-11mm depth. Ideally looking to do this on something up to 18mm. I think a bit for that depth might be too big to use in a hand held router. Plus I’d have to buy another bit.

I have a Lidl track saw but haven’t had much luck in getting exact 45 deg bevels that join together square. That’s why I’m looking for an alternative method

wwaswas

Is this to join two bits of wood together end-to-end?

kevs
    Free Member

I do exactly this.
    Clamp a spirit level underneath as a bearing guide using three clamps, one in the middle, take the first one off and route until you can reclamp, then keep going with the rest of the clampsmoving them along. Or if you can, just screw a guide piece of wood underneath and remove after

kevs
    Free Member

Or clamp a really deep piece from behind where the router would run if that makes sense

dmorts

Is this to join two bits of wood together end-to-end?

Join to pieces to make a 90 deg joint

wwaswas

I’ve had some success with a hand mitre saw doing that but you still have to take your time and make sure everything is tight – doing a pass with a router afterwards to trim it all square is still worth it if it’s not just for a skirting board or dado is worth it too.

nickjb
    Free Member

Join to pieces to make a 90 deg joint

Not a great job with a hand router. Better to use a chop saw if the bits are small or a rail saw if they are big. Both tools are very useful if you don’t own them, and can be bought pretty cheaply now. Use this job as an excuse to get one. If you really must router them then a rabbit joint would be easier to cut and stronger

dmorts

I’ve got a track saw. Maybe I need to persevere…

finishthat
    Free Member

Track saw is what will work on 18mm stuff , its practice and technique in guiding the saw smoothly along the track without altering your “push” + holding the saw plate down on the track , + test pieces to get the 45deg right , may need to cut a fraction over 45deg to get it or adjust stops .

kayak23

Yeah I’d persevere with the track saw. No reason you shouldn’t be able to get a useable cut, providing the board is flat.

My Makita track saw has a little doofer that stops the saw coming off the track when at 45 degrees which is helpful. Not sure if yours does.

If you’ve got a router anyway (although you say your bit isn’t big enough) then making a homemade table is pimpsy.

This sort of thing…maybe.

But yeah, track saw I reckon or use a wider bit of board as your straight edge so that you can clamp it further away from the edge you’re working on.

spooky_b329

You can bodge up a really quick router table to mount your router upside down in a toolbench. Guide bar pivots one end, a quickclamp or two the other end to adjust width. There are a few guides online. P.S dust extraction didn’t really work so use the dust port on the tool, its just a bit fiddly keeping it hooked up when adjusting. I’ve had the router years, this is the first time I’ve managed to tame it from shredding bits of timber mercilessly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Routing a 45 deg bevel edge without a router table’ is closed to new replies.