Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Routes in north Peak please!
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

I’m looking for some new areas to ride in. Living in Sheffield I ride a lot around Blacka, Ladybower, Edale, Hope etc which is all great, but never ventured north of the Woodhead road. Is there much up there worth exploring? It’d be nice to find some quieter areas if possible and ride something new.

Cheers!

tuboflard

I did a ride a long time back up the snow road from Flouch roundabout down to Dunford Bridge, in to Hepworth, Crow Edge and back. Pleasant enough but wouldn’t describe it as a classic.

Better riding IMO south of Holmesfield south of the city.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

there’s some great riding above holmfirth, meltham, marsden. alot of it cheeky, so you may need a local to show you around, or get an os map. the majority of footpaths see riders.

the holme moss ridgeline (back of hade edge / Snailsden reservoir to holme moss) is a techy singletrack classic.
    descents of cheesegate nab / cartworth moor
    wessenden / deer hill (above marsden) conduit is great, as was willykay clough (old packhorse although recently sanitised)..

antigee

Used to live on north side of Sheffield (AKA the Arctic) this route out of Digley Reservoir is short but worked for me as a regular late Sunday ride followed by a beer on the way home…http://peakdistrictmtb.org/project/holmfirth-route/

Pretty mellow by modern standards

mos

I tried riding the Pennine way from black hill down to woodhead pass last year. It was sh1t, don’t waste your time trying to make that into a ride.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

@mos, was just looking at that track down to crowden, i’ve never ridden it, i remember a rider died years ago falling off the cliff on that route. i keep meaning to ride it over to Chew reservoir above dovestones.

agree with @antigee, quite mellow but very good XC,
    we tend to ride the footpaths and the drop into the quarry above yateholme is good.
    that said alot more walkers/dogs since covid.

from holme (past the school) you’ve got a good track down to digley and then digley steps down to bilberry res damn wall.

black hill north isnt a bad track, and there is a right half way down that takes you on a steepish fast track down to idles road back into holme village.

the descent off holme moss carpark is pretty tasty..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Routes in north Peak please!’ is closed to new replies.