Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Routes from Borrowdale on rainy day?
  • geomickb
    Free Member

I have done the Borrowdale bash but are there any other routes out from Borrowdale? Cycling from the door, not driving out.

Mick

TomB

When are you thinking, Mick?
    A good central fells ride/hike is up Stake pass from langstrath (go up the right side of the beck looking up the valley to the FB at the bottom of stake pass). Across to Angle tarn (tedious, difficult to find a true path) or drop down stake the other side and hike a bike up rosset gill for a longer mountain day. From Angle tarn, good paths to Esk hause, then sty head and down to seathwaite. Currently snowy on those high paths, would be wanting that to clear. Alternative descent via grains gill.

Ride up honister on or off road, then up through the mine tracks to the warnscale descent to buttermere.
    Or from honister push up dale head then down to DH tarn, along high spy and maiden moor then down the BW east from hause gate.
    River fp between grange and rosthwaite is good on a foul day.
    West shore of Derwent water to hause end, then round the toe of catbells to little town and up the mine track to dale head tarn to do high spy and maiden moor as above.

All obviously depending on competence in bike and hill skills, all weather proof year round rides.

scuttler

Langstrath > Angle > Styhead would be tough on a rainy day and is quite committing. I’d be going cheeky around Braithwaite / Newlands; not too high and not overly committing if the weather really is shite (I presume you’re referring to this Saturday)

TomB

Ah, if this Saturday then rein back the objectives, it’s forecast to be cataclysmic!

tomaso
    Free Member

If its foul, the Bash

geomickb
    Free Member

Saturday was grim, so we hid in Whinlatter. Sunday we did the first half of the bash.

Thanks for the suggestions, will come in handy next time.

Mick

Mugboo

TomB, please can you grade Grains Gill please? Is it natural bedrocky tech or fix the fells steppy hell? Rosset Gill, Wharnscale or Sticks Pass?

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Is it natural bedrocky tech or fix the fells steppy hell?

It has sections of both. It’s okay as a descent but I find it’s better as a quick route up to Great End.

TomB

Here’s someone I know on Grains, gives a flavour of the style, mix of pitched path and rocky sections.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That looks bloody good!

lowey

That video is bloody brilliant. The full catalogue of disasters

Mist and rain.
    OTB
    Puncture
    Confrontation with angry walker
    and finally, rips the arse out of his shorts.

🙂 🙂

Mugboo

Thanks TomB, a perfect description, loved the way he handled the walker.

Nobeer – we were doing your favourite loop and as we passed the turn for Grains Gill we bumped into EckyThump who was heading off that way but chose to follow the original route back down to Stonethwaite, might give this one a go next time as we’ve done the 4 Passes twice plus your loop so its time for a new ending.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mugboo lol! Aye, I’d struggle to have any different ending tbh, but need to try GG!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Routes from Borrowdale on rainy day?’ is closed to new replies.