Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Route to Calais avoiding Paris
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

We’re heading home on Friday from our holiday in the Loire. We’re just south of Orleans and the route down here from Calais had us sticking to the most direct autoroutes and skirting around Paris ring road. We seemed to get through Paris OK, but opposing traffic was a lot worse so we’re considering a different route back that avoids Paris altogether, which we’d be hitting around 1pm on Friday. Google maps has identified a route that heads out north west to pick up the autoroutes that basically run parallel to the coastline upto Calais. It’s about 30 mins slower, which is fine timing wise so looks tempting rather risking heavy traffic through Paris.

Has anyone driven these roads and advise if it’s worh a punt? The route takes us up the N154 to Rouen picking up the A28 and A16 to Calais.

thanks

Ambrose

We use it regularly. It’s fine apart from the bit through Rouen where a SatNav really helps; trust me on this. Apart from that it is plain sailing.

ransos
    Free Member

I did the route via Rouen, it was fine. I use Google maps on my phone.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Thanks chaps, that’s settled then.

chris36860
    Free Member

We did this last week.  I too would recommend using Google maps for Rouen as our incar sat nav had a bit of a wobble through the town.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Noted on google maps for nav thanks. Just got a new head unit for the van with built a n say nav which i’m still getting used to so best not take a chance.

csb

Did the route from to and from Le Mans to Calais last week. On the way there our Garmin took us into the depths of Rouen. Don’t trust your sat nav use the road signs.

Ace roads though, really quiet and quick.

spooky_b329

I check the possible routes but ultimately I will go whichever way Google maps thinks is fastest 🙂  I don’t have any time for ‘dumb’ traditional satnavs anymore 🙂  Hopefully your head unit is Android Auto/Apple Carplay compatible?

ransos
    Free Member

I check the possible routes but ultimately I will go whichever way Google maps thinks is fastest

On a recent trip to France, I plotted my own route. Google recommended an extra 50 miles and about £30 in tolls so I could save 15 minutes on a five hour journey.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Nah it’s not but can use the phone on a windscreen holder anyway. The built in sat nav on the head unit is convenient but not quite as good as google, though not too bad and adjusts routing to account for traffic, but sounds like Rouen is pretty confusing so if google is tried and trusted i’ll use that.

Ambrose

I used the most recent update of my Citroen SatNav.

Whatever you are using, just head into Rouen town centre. Landmarks to watch out for are the old chateau ruins on the left as you approach the city, then a few miles later ‘Le Buffalo Grill’ roundabout with its associated cows. You will then be fed onto a series of industrial estate dual carriageways, with associated cut and thrust driving. Stick at it, heading downsteam beside the (out of sight) river to your right and the railways to your left. You are aiming to cross the river. Once over Seine and up into the tunnels you are sorted.

If you happen to be passing Tours en route, say hello to Doreen, the World’s Best Mother in Law!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Is this the best time to recount our jouyrney back from the Dordogne two years ago? We gambled to go back via Paris and the Periferique, which actually turned out to be OK – yes it was congested but it was manageable and all in would have been quicker. Except that 50km north of Paris we hit the aftermath of this:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/french-roma-gypsies-block-major-motorway-to-calais-with-burning-tyres-in-demonstration-10478032.html

The A1 was closed for repairs and everyone was being diverted off onto alternative routes.. It took six hours to clear the jam and that was after having already driven for eight hours with a seven and four year old in the back!

We left the Dordogne at 8am and arrived at our night stop at midnight.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Thanks Ambrose. Sounds like Rouen might be a good lunch stop, I think we’ll be ready for it by the time we hit it.

Dickyboy

Try Newhaven to Dieppe rather than Dover Calais next time – unless you go by chunnel that is 🤔

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Route to Calais avoiding Paris’ is closed to new replies.