Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Route Help – New Alresford to Farnham (St Swithun’s way – or other optionsetc)
  • GDRS

Hi

I Have a camping trip away with the family next weekend – and I get the chance to cycle back home when we are all packed away and the family move on to stay with some other people for the following week.

We are staying near New Arlesford and I want to get up to Farnham (then from there I know the way to Guildford and familiar trails and bridleways across surrey and back into London).

Any ideas for a route or shares of GPX files for this first bit? I have assumed there may be a few routes – but the usual google searches have come up a bit dry this morning.

Cheers in advance

G

cinnamon_girl

St Swithun’s Way has some footpath sections. Are you looking for the most direct route or would you prefer some scenery?

GDRS

Thank you – Scenery please (but if you have both that would help me plan as I need to get back to Kingston).

And a secondary thank you – you gave me a link to the ox drove a couple of years ago when I was staying in Basingstoke.

Cheers

G

dovebiker

I’ve quite frequently ridden from home (Fleet) to Winchester to pick up the South Downs Way – head NE out of Alresford to Abbotstone Down and pick up the Wayfarer’s Walk and outside Brown Candover head east on The Oxdrove to Bradley – continue NE, jink NW across to the Three Castles Path to Ellisfield Manor, Winslade Lane to Winslade Farm and Three Castles Path to Tunworth, onto Five Lanes End and White Lane to Greywell where you can pick up the Basingstoke Canal towpath which will take you to Byfleet where you can pick up the Thames Towpath.

cinnamon_girl

OK, my thoughts were to pick up the Three Castles Path at Abbotstone and continue as far as Upper Wield. Head to Bentworth probably on road and pick up the Byway that leads to the A339 then head for Shalden. Pick up the Byway that crosses the B3349, straight over another that leads to minor road then one more so you come out near the Golden Pot. You’d then need to follow minor roads to Farnham.

Alternatively from Upper Wield head to Medstead then aim for Chawton Park Wood that has some singletrack. From there it’s easy to pick up the minor roads.

It’s really the just outside Alton to Farnham part where there is a lack of useful RoWs.

Shout out if you need more detail!

GDRS

Quick update – Cinnamon and Dove -thanks for the advice I managed a 90km return from Abbotstone – the ‘Hampshire section’ was scenic and the byways I laced together from your recommendations were spot on. Only place I got it a bit wrong in my route choice was around Bentley. Thanks. G

notmyrealname
    Free Member

@dovebiker Would you have a GPX for that by any chance?

I’m thinking about doing a two day trip from Lightwater along to Winchester, SDW back to Shoreham area then Downs Link back home. I’m good with the SDW and Downs Link sections but not got a route planned for the first leg yet.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Route Help – New Alresford to Farnham (St Swithun’s way – or other optionsetc)’ is closed to new replies.