Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Route from Les Gets to Samoens
  • SammyC
    Free Member

I’ve heard about a route from Les Gets to Samoens that’s meant to be really good, does any one know where it is and how I get to it?

Apparently this is that start of it:

[video]http://vimeo.com/5856153[/video]

freeridenick
    Free Member

Its called the La Bourgeoise after the Hill behind the Joux Plane

http://www.visugpx.com/ign/?lat=46.115297&lng=6.720259

This descent is a classic, particularly when you catch it bone dry and it can be done fast. Ride the top ridge line, open single trail first then steeper tree root sections. Clip the first two road bends, jump off the wooden barrier on the second, cross the road on the third and descend to Cessonex on the Joux Plane road. Pedal up the road for a couple of bends through Le Tour and at the next junction turn right and use the La Rosiere road to get to Chantermerle. Takes about 20 mins. From just above Chantermerle head up a track on the right for about 100m, this brings you to the top of the Les Suets trail (marked MTB #61). This is wicked. A tight contouring singletrack at first, past some house sized white boulders, then fast switchbacks all the way into Samoens. Takes you out just above Bar Aspen.

SammyC
    Free Member

Amazing! Many many thanks!

So, just to be sure I’m looking at the correct thing, it starts just by the Lac de Joux Plane (just under the 1691 height marker on that IGN map), follows the purple line down as you’ve described?

So, the only thing I need to do is get to the lac from top of the main runs in Les Gets?

freeridenick
    Free Member

Thats the one.

First bit is a climb from the road to 1770 up a double track (top of La Bourgeoise)

Yes, you will need to climb up the road, or get a lift! 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

How do you get back to Les Gets ?

ChrisE
    Free Member

Did some of this on our GR5 crossing last summer.

Samoens maps are here

http://www.samoens.com/franceete/DT1305896767/publication/VTT.html/typeid-51

(edit) sorry that’s the other side of the valley. Will find the right side in a mo!

C

sheck

This descent is so good that it’s worth riding up the col for

freeridenick
    Free Member

Either ride back up. or get your chalet to pick you up!

Must be a bus as well?

jambalaya
    Free Member

We rode this yesterday and it was the highlight of our 5 days in PDS, second being Col de Coux/Arrete Berrois (thanks to @Ambrose and others on another thread). Stunning views and riding. We are guessing around 1100m descent.

@freeride, very good your tip to ride up the road, took me a few mins research to get the joke 😳 we booked a taxi pickup to return to Morzine although it may be possible to get a local Samoens company to drive you back to top of Col where you can ride back to LG/Morzine.

We made a small tactical error in deciding to ride / push up an extra 250m to high lift above Joux Plane only to find a very sketchy carry all the way down. Road from top of LG definitely the way to go. Short link to Borgouise very rutted from cattle. IGN map was essential and turn off track at Chantermele wasn’t marked and lower VTT route sign had no number. Printed directions from here plus map worked well. Thanks

bwaarp
    Free Member

I have a particular love for the Alpine bar in Samoens, the one that sells Criou. I think I will do this route next summer, thanks!

chris36860
    Free Member

I left the Alpine bar about 30mins ago and the Criou is awesome. Try Kwack next time, it’s rocket fuel. Heading for Les Gets in the morning. It’s our first time out here with Bike Alp and loving every minute!

nickjb
    Free Member

More things to add to the ‘to-do’ list 🙂

forge197
    Free Member

Someone mention Kwak

Classic ride one of my all time favourites did it a couple weeks ago, rewarded with Kwak

freeridenick
    Free Member

good stuff, glad you enjoyed…

bwaarp
    Free Member

The Criou is brewed by the guy who owns the bar I believe, you can get Kwak anywhere! Also the owner is a champion motorbike trials rider back in the day, from what I’ve heard.

I’m very jealous.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Hhmmm Kwak, just needs an appe schnapps.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@freeride – thanks very much, we had a printed version of your directions as our guide.

freeridenick
    Free Member

So jambalaya chamonix next?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@freeride, from the book the more technical riding in Chamonix would suit me fine but the exposure stuff is a real issue (even Arete Berrois/Ranfoilly/small part of Samoens). I’m pretty sure I’ll give it a go but only with some clear advice on suitable trails and probably with a guide. Hopefully Trail Addiction Destination-X will be OK as I’m off there in August.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Next year we’re going to head over to Samoens in the am and then spend the pm riding the other side of the valley.

godzilla
    Free Member

^ I’m so gonna drink one one of them bad boys next week 😈
    That trail looks ace too.

mk1fan
    Free Member

I’m going to try one of the Criou.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Route from Les Gets to Samoens’ is closed to new replies.