Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Whats so good about this Mac then?
  • retro83
    Free Member

full screening apps and the new desktop button in the dashboard are nice features

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Dunno how much it costs. But I’ll bet that a Win8 laptop will still be a hell of a lot cheaper than a Mac one

Yeah, but if you’ve already got a W7 PC, how much will the software upgrade be? I think that’s what he means. Mac = Go to App store, click BUY, wait a while, use new OS 🙂

the mac os just seems to be riddled with ‘cos we’re different’ annoyances

Examples? I’ve only found one thing that niggles, and that’s to do with me using the trackpad and not a mouse. (Google Street view is a pest with the trackpad) I just Google “How do I XXXXX on a Mac?” then learn how it’s done. EG- Screenshots took some getting used to, but once you do, it’s a lot better. But you’ve gotta be prepared to learn. If not, stay with what you’ve got!

I love my keyboard shortcuts, I sit and learn them. I can now switch effortlessly between my iMac and my Windows work laptop without even thinking.
    The only thing I have to say to anyone is “Learn the keyboard shortcuts and get rid of the mouse!” I work with loads of people who plug a mouse into their laptop, and when I sit watching them, god, it looks slow! I hate the things now. Trackpad all the way, and the big Apple one wipes the floor with anything else I’ve ever used. 🙂

batfink
    Free Member

I’ve had a mac for the last 7 years I never understood people slagging off iTunes…. until I used it on a Pc recently (Win 7). Yeah – it was awful.

mrmo
    Free Member

Is mac pricing excessive though, take a like for like build, not cheap pc v mac, take the bundled software and then what does the price look like?

I note the Windows based ultrabooks that are starting to appear seem to be no cheaper than macbook airs?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Batfink, what’s the difference? I’ve used iTunes on both and can’t remember it being any different. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Is mac pricing excessive though

I thought they were expensive when I bought mine, yes. But I saved the money and treated myself. No regrets there.

But then I saw a Sony (IIRC) PC that was similar (No tower, all behind the screen style) and the spec was pretty much identical, processor, RAM, HDD, graphics etc, but it was made of black plastic and the screen was smaller. Price? Same as a 27in iMac.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah, but if you’ve already got a W7 PC, how much will the software upgrade be?

Why are you asking me? You’re saying that Macs are somehow the economical choice? Upgrade is usually £60 or so isn’t it? Macs are more than £60 more than Windows PCs so what’s the point?

Mike_D
    Free Member

There’s lots of little things to discover, like exposé. Try pointing at a word and double tapping on it with _three_ fingers…

Is that one of those “intuitive” features? 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why are you asking me?

Becasue you didn’t understand the point of the $30 comment, I was trying to catch you out, which I did, ‘cos now you’ve got all narky 😛

Cougar

As an aside,

Still thinking that “Windoze” is witty and hilarious in 2012 renders your entire post invalid. Just so you all know.

Is that one of those “intuitive” features?

Perfectly intuitive, all you need to do is google how to do it, seemingly.

M6TTF
    Free Member

rapidly falling out of love with my iMac – Video card has gone for the 2nd time in 8 mths….

molgrips
    Free Member

Btw my Thinkpad has a touchpad that can do all those gestures. I turned them all off 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Btw my Thinkpad has a touchpad that can do all those gestures. I turned them all off

Yeah, because they never work properly on a PC 😉

Seriously – bought one of those firesale HP Touchpads last year (£89). The touchscreen and interface was shocking. Treated myself to an iPad and the difference is like night and day – it just works properly, clicks where you want it to and is smooth & slick.

Sold the Touchpad on Ebay for £145 too 🙂

zokes
    Free Member

OH LORD PLEASE SAY ITS TRUE!

No, its a complete and utter piece of unmitigated shit.

Currently on my third day trying to work out why, having successfully copied all 230GB of music from my vista desktop onto an external HD, iTunes only imports random parts of it on my mac, and then only imports random parts of what’s left onto my new iPhone.

I can play any file on the external HD with VLC on the mac, so it’s not the windows box stuffing up the copying.

wrecker
    Free Member

No, its a complete and utter piece of unmitigated shit.

Currently on my third day trying to work out why, having successfully copied all 230GB of music from my vista desktop onto an external HD, iTunes only imports random parts of it on my mac, and then only imports random parts of what’s left onto my new iPhone.
    Noooooooooo
    I properly properly HATE iTunes.

zokes
    Free Member

I properly properly HATE iTunes.

As you may have guessed, I’m very far removed from being its biggest fan…

jam-bo

dunno, but Dell seem to like the form factor:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/29/dell-xps-one-27-all-in-one/

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

dunno, but Dell seem to like the form factor:

dunno, but Dell seem to like the form copying Mac factor:

vorlich
    Free Member

Get some Solaris 10 installed on that thing. Now THAT is an operating system.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

What I like about my hackintosh Is that when I come home from working away for a few weeks it does a handful of updates in a subtle fashion. It’s OS folder doesn’t grow at an exponential rate, and the OS is some £100 cheaper than Windows 7 (which I don’t like anyway).

If you could get new macbooks for <£500 then all of my family would have them, and my life would be much simpler.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Some things are better on a Mac and some are better on a PC. In my experience I’ve found Macs as frustrating as PCs, but when they do work as designed the integrated approach with their software is ace. iPhoto has been the most irritating computing experience in my entire life though. It’s so close to being the perfect image library and basic editor for me, but the whole library seems held together by spit and sawdust. There are endless threads on the Internet regarding corrupt photo libraries and lost photos and I simply don’t trust it. Backup backup backup.

Aestehtically Macs are streets ahead and for some that’s important.

TiRed

Bought an iMac a few years ago. Then they switched to Intel chips a couple of months later, so no backwards compatibility or OS upgrades or Blackberry syncing. Then the PSU blew, then again… That just about did it for my iLove. This from someone who had an original macintosh running LaTex and Mathematica for my PhD.

Now have W7 on a laptop and PC and to be honest, it works. As for iTunes, well my iMac NEVER recognized my iPod Photo. Nor its replacement. Plugged it into my PC and iTunes found it immediately. Just moved all my iTunes seamlessly across two computers to a NAS drive without any issues at all.

In my honest opinion, the single greatest device Apple have ever invented is the Series 2 iPod Shuffle. Fantastic. I have different colours for different musical genres.

CountZero

Interesting reading here. Gotta love Microsoft…

You Can’t Legally Join A Class-Action Lawsuit Against Microsoft, But You Can Against Apple

You Can’t Legally Join A Class-Action Lawsuit Against Microsoft, But You Can Against Apple (For Now)

Cougar

Nothing like good, unbiased reporting.

Northwind

oliverd1981 – Member

and the OS is some £100 cheaper than Windows 7

It costs -£30? Wicked!

andytherocketeer

The global menu thing is a bit dumb. And the buttons on the left are dumb too, unless maybe you’re left handed and work R-L. fsck knows why Ubuntu copied that, but at least it’s simple to put the buttons back where they belong.
    Deficient number of mouse buttons was another minor annoyance.

Still. I’d rather have a Mac than w7 on my work PC. And my Macbook probably gets booted to Linux 9 times out of 10 now.

w8 is the next Vista. might work on a tablet, but it’s gonna be a grade-A PITA for corporate desktop use from what I’ve seen.

NZCol

My iMac needs rebooting or unpluggung every other day. I have a WinServer that hasn’t needed a reboot in a year. Dunno what the Macs problem is but not very happy with it any more. I do like the interface though.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Some of the little things can make a real difference with Macs. For instance if I’m listening to iTunes and then make a call on Skype, iTunes stops playing automatically until I hang up. I also love that pics taken on my iPhone automatically download onto my Mac when I’m on the same wireless network. If you embrace the “walled garden” you’ll find that everything does integrate very well with everything else, but don’t delude yourself it is problem free.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Whats so good about this Mac then?’ is closed to new replies.