Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Rotor specification
  • montgomery
    Free Member

What’s the feeling on using Shimano rotors with BB7 calipers (i.e. a design that pushes the rotor over towards a fixed pad)?

I recently acquired a set of second hand Centerlock wheels complete with disks and, having used six bolt disk hubs for 20 years, now find myself wondering why anyone is still doing so…ok, I could buy CL-6 bolt adaptors to use the stock Avid disks, but that kind of defeats the purpose of Centerlock (and involves extra expense).

Right, I think I’ve pre-empted all the potential STW pedantry with that summary, so answers to the original query, please!

montgomery
    Free Member

Oh aye, and I do have an answer for people suggesting I buy TRP Spyres.

hols2
    Free Member

a design that pushes the rotor over towards a fixed pad

In exactly the same way Shimano mechanical disks do. I’ve never worried about mixing rotors and calipers. Unless they are really badly adjusted, the rotor only has to bend over a tiny amount to contact the inner pad. If you have a seized piston with hydros, the same thing happens.

mariner
    Free Member

I am using Shimano rotors with Spyke calipers and working fine. Previously used Shimano with BB7 no problem apart from the noise especially in the wet.
    I noticed when fitting these latest rotors that they have a brake pad material rating stamped on them. Never noticed that before.

jameso

I used 6-bolt Shimano rotors and BB7s for ages, no problems. Only thing to watch with centrelocks or adapters is the carrier to rotor mechanism might make them stiffer in that area so the rotor outer edge flexes at a steeper angle / less easily? But compared to the differences in rotor spars, stiffness etc generally.. prob overthinking it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Rotor specification’ is closed to new replies.