Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • rotor size/ mount confusion. feeling thick. give me a hand.
  • DJTC
    Free Member

got a new canyon. its got brakes on I don’t want they have 200mm rotors. fitting my xtr trail brakes onto it instead. I have 160 and 180mm rotors for them. the rotor is nowhere near big enough

any way to make them fit or do I need to buy 203mm shimano rotors? if I buy new 203mm rotors will I also need different mounts for them to fit properly or will the current mounts be ok? I don’t know if they differ and im getting confused

thanks in a advance

GHill

You want 180 and 160 adaptors, no?

DJTC
    Free Member

I have the 180 and 160 adapters and they are still a mile off fitting. hence my confusion.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Pics would really help.
    What are the old brakes?

DJTC
    Free Member

brakes im removing are XO Trail. replacing them with XTR trail. I just don’t know why the rotor wont fit even with correct adaptor.

oxym0r0n

Is it the rotors not fitting on the wheels or not going into the calipers?

DJTC
    Free Member

so this is what im using. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-mount-adaptor-front-post-to-is/rp-prod13743

to attach the caliper to the fork. (fox 40) It says on it for 180mm rotor only. I have a 180mm ice tech rotor on the wheel. yet when I put the wheel on, the rotor only just reaches the start of the caliper nowhere near far enough in.

any help appreciated.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Are there spacers between the mount and caliper?

DJTC
    Free Member

no just a very small washer.

oxym0r0n

If it’s new I take it the forks are post mount? Confused why you would need that adapter :-S
    It will prob add 20mm tho…

oxym0r0n

Photo would help lots!

Hareydan
    Free Member

Apologies if I’m missing something, but are you saying you’ve replaced a 200mm rotor with a 180/160mm one and are wondering why it doesn’t reach the calliper?? Why not just use the original rotor?

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Are you using an adapter between the caliper and mount? If so, it’s not on upside-down, is it?

khani
    Free Member

Try it without an adapter if it’s a post mount caliper, the fork might be a 180 post mount as standard without any adapter..

Superficial
    Free Member

It depends on the exact model of Fox 40s you are using, but I suspect they will have a “+20mm” post mount so a 180mm rotor will work withou any adaptor – just bolt the brake directly to the fork.

If it’s an older fork, it might have an IS mount in which case you need a 160mm adaptor in order to use a 200mm disc. In this case, I don’t think you can run 180mm rotors.

I have two pertinent questions though:
    1) Why are you changing the size of rotor? Just use the old rotors / adaptors with the new calipers/levers.
    2) What sort of bike has Fox 40s and small (180/160mm) rotors? Seems like a weird setup.

DJTC
    Free Member

hareydan. I am changing the rotors because I am also changing the brakes. from avid to shimano and want to fit shimano ice tech rotors not the crappy avid ones.

the bike came with 200mm rotors but I already own the 180mm ones so was going to fit them. with the xtr trail brakes it will be powerful enough.

I cant bolt the calipers to the fork as the holes on the fork point the wrong way for that. it does require a mount. I am only using a mount and not an adapter and a mount. but I am confused as to the meaning of each one which is why im struggling to exlain/understand my situation. I have never had a problem like this before.

the bike is 2013 with 2013 fox 40 rc2 Fit Factory forks.

thanks for responses and sorry for my confusion. im going to take some pictures in the morning and then you guys can see what im on about and see if you can help

cheers.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

How old are the XTR brakes?
    Do the mount holes look like this;

or this?

If it’s the former, you’ll need a 200mm disc if the forks are made to fit 180mm discs.

DJTC
    Free Member

they are the bottom picture. the newest xtr trail brakes.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

And do the mounting holes on the fork face the same way as the top or bottom brakes in the pic?

Superficial
    Free Member

In which case your forks must be IS mount, correct?

As above, you need a 160mm adaptor to go with a 200mm rotor. 200mm being the only appropriate front rotor size for a bike with fox 40s. Sorry, that’s just how it is.

oxym0r0n

Forks like this?

As others have already said, the forks are already designed to be 180mm

Using this:

Will add 20mm = 200

Or try here for a +0, but it *might* not fit

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Or try here for a +0, but it *might* not fit

I don’t think I’d be wanting to rely on that KCNC jobby with 180mm discs,
    In the flesh they’re VERY flimsy. The Hope one though, no probs.

DJTC
    Free Member

http://s42.photobucket.com/user/tomcwoodland/library/Bike?sort=2&page=1

pictures here. however I believe that oxymoron has just answered my question above. where do I get one of those things?

DJTC
    Free Member

and just to clear something up for me. what is the name of the mount in my pictures and the name of the one suggested above? that’s where im getting lost! thanks.

letmetalktomark

So to me it looks like your forks are set to take a 180mm rotor with an IS brake mount.

By using your adapter in the pics you looked to have moved your caliper out 20mm.

I would have thought that you needed a IS to PM 0mm. These tend to be found on the rear caliper when running a 160mm rotor (my recollection of AVID certainly).

DJTC
    Free Member

I actually managed to find as IS +0 and tried it with that and was still way out so I assume that the IS mount on the forks is +20mm so even with a +0 I will need 200mm rotors. which does finally answer my first question so I know now to buy some new rotors. hallelujah.

thanks all for your help and apologies for my confusion. I now know the difference between IS and post mount.

anyone want to buy 180 and 160mm ice tech rotors by any chance?

or trade for 200mm ones?

cookeaa

From what I can gather the 40 effectively has an IS+40mm mount which they like to call the “NEW DH International Disc Bolt Pattern” (only the 40 uses it I think), basically if you use a PM caliper with a normal 160mm Front mount it will take a 200mm rotor.
    Thus to fit a 180mm rotor you need a front 140mm, or a Rear 120mm mount (if you can find such a thing) those will provide the right offset for a 180mm rotor…

Or there is this Formula Fox F40 Mount Adaptor It is £32.72 for the 180mm version though, so a 200mm rotor might be an easier/cheaper/better performing option TBH…

further boring reading

DJTC
    Free Member

Thanks. that does make sense. thanks to the biking world and their endless changing standards. Making my life just that bit more confusing. but figured it now. will buy some new shiny rotors and be done with it.

cookeaa

Its simply Fox being difficult for the sake of it and confusing things by moving an IS mount a bit further from the axle for no compelling reason.

In the good old Days* we had one simple mounting standard (that was 20mm different further out at the front than the rear)…. and a different one for the Boxxer…

*there were no good old days.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘rotor size/ mount confusion. feeling thick. give me a hand.’ is closed to new replies.